I need a few geniuses...

Add your favorite recipes.

I need a few geniuses...

Postby GucciGoo » January 11th, 2007, 1:19 pm

Ok, guys. Can you help me figure this one out?

I know we can have 7 oz of chicken or 4 oz of LF cheese.

What if we wanted to have some of BOTH?

I have been allowing myself 4 oz of chicken and 1 oz of cheese when I want to make a MF version of chicken parm. Is this wrong? Right?

How would I even figure this out??? HELP!
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Mike » January 11th, 2007, 3:43 pm

First, and I think this is what Berkshiregirl was referring to in the Flounder thread, you shouldn't be measuring cheese by weight. The Quick Start guide says 3/4 - 1 Cup of lf cheese or 1/2 - 1 Cup lowfat cottage cheese. You shouldn't measure your cheese by ounces (some cheeses weigh more by volume due to their density and liquid content).

Now that I have said that, I have been known to mix meats with eggs or meats with cheese, or all of the above. This is not the best way to due your lean, but if you must, then just make sure that you get the fractions right.

I generally go by the 1 Cup measure of cheese as the protein portion (makes things easier). If I use 1 egg (1/2 protein), then I use 1/2 C cheese. If I use 1/2 the meat (2.5 oz beef, pork, lamb or 3.5 oz chicken, turkey or fish), then I use 1/2 C cheese.

The problem I see in measuring cheese by weight is that a lowfat hard cheese might weigh less than a lowfat soft cheese or a cottage cheese, thuis you woulod get different amounts of cheese if measuring by weight.
Just measure as the Quickstart Guide says, by the cup.

Hope this helps. :mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Return to Lean Cuisine