Must be something in the air....

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Must be something in the air....

Postby RavenKat » April 16th, 2004, 7:35 am

Because here's another new person!

My name is Kat. HI!!!!

Description: 40, just under 6 feet tall, red hair (with gray hidden by dye). I'm married with 5 rescued cats and a ball python. I could stand to lose 80 pounds but I'll know exactly how much on Sunday when I weigh, measure and journal on my first day.

You all seem so nice. :-) I hope you don't mind someone with a "jaded" past. I spent my 20's and early 30's drinking, smoking and other unhealthy stuff. I was really into punk (and still am) but no longer have the big mohawk or leopard spotted hair. I've quit all that addictive behavior (I don't even drink caffeine anymore) except for my love/hate relationship with food.

My initial weight problem was in grade school. I look at those pictures now and realize I wasn't that overweight; I was just a tall, redheaded kid when everyone else was smaller. In High school I weighed 165 and thought I was fat. :roll: I gained as a senior (190) but lost it all with Atkins. Back then (1980) low carb was considered deadly. Everyone was sure it was bad for you. I laugh when I see all the low carb stuff in the grocery store and on tv. I stayed around 165 until my brother died at 33 of an abdominal aeortic aneurism. It was sudden and two days after christmas of 1990. I survived that, got married, got a couple of degrees then my father died of the same thing. Long and drawn out.

This whole time I've been on: Atkins, weight watchers, jenny craig, nutrisystem, 1200 calorie, 500 calorie, t-factor, susan powder, Richard Simmons, Suzanne Somers, food combining, phen-fen, herbalife, trimspa - I even tried to get my stomach stapled but I'm not heavy enough. In the meantime I got up to 250. Nothing like dieting to make you fat! I'm less than that now but not much.

We all have a lot of bad stuff in our lives and I'm not listing mine out for an excuse to be fat. I just wanted you all to know a little about me. I'll tell anything about myself (just wait) :!:

Although I've been to a counselor for food obsession, I've never really asked for help with getting my eating under control. I'm hoping that reaching out to others will be the difference between my past failures and my future success. Thanks in advance for listening to me.

p.s. Since I live in Ellicott City, MD it only took 24 hours for my shakes to arrive!
259/180/165
RavenKat
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Starloser63 » April 16th, 2004, 7:51 am

Welcome to the group Kat!

Glad to have you here. You are in the right place for support. Glad to meet you and hope you reach out for help and with it.

Best of luck on your Shaking Journey :cheers:

Hugs,
Susan F
Through Christ all things all possible.
Susan F
246/216/150
3/23/04 2nd x
First Goal 199
Starloser63
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Carrie » April 16th, 2004, 7:57 am

Hi Kat!

Welcome to our forum.

Most of us have a long history of food abuse, so we can definitely relate. This diet has certainly put a cramp in my party lifestyle (I know you gave yours up, but I'm still at it!) but I remind myself that this is only temporary. Once I get to my goal weight, I can go out and whoop it up again, my friends and the party will still be there.

Stick it out through the first few days, they are tough. But it does get easier. Right now I have way more good days than I do bad days, and I'm making progress towards my goal at the same time. Can't ask for more than that!

Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Landylue » April 16th, 2004, 6:24 pm

Hi, Kat! I started to log off, and noticed there was a post I actually almost missed--we can't have that now, can we! Anyone owning 5 rescued cats is OK in my book--not sure about that ball python, though, darlin'.

But, I'm truly glad you have decided to join our group. "A love/hate relationship with food" is exactly the right expression for it. So is "food addiction". I think your openess and honesty about yourself is going to be a real benefit to your efforts at getting your eating under control during this program. If we can't or won't touch what is hurting us so much or making us angry, how in the world are we going to grab hold of it and DEAL WITH IT? And if we don't deal with it, how are we going to change our behavior?

Anyway, the take-off on this ride is a bit rough, but gather up all your self-discipline and stick-to-itness and hold on tight, it just gets better and better.

I promise.

Best of luck!

Landylue
Failure is NOT an option!
Landylue
Preferred Member - #40 Club

HEY LADY

Postby NikkiNix » April 16th, 2004, 9:50 pm

HI KAT,

JUST WANTED TO WELCOME YA. :kool: I TO HAD MY CRAZY DAYS. I REMEMBER THOUGH BEING ON DRUGS KEPT YA SKINNY SO I CAN DEFINATELY TELL I'VE NOT DONE ANY DRUGS IN SEVERAL YEARS 8 SOBER ONES AS A MATTER A FACT. 8) STILL LOVE THE SEXPISTALS THE CLASH , RAMONES AND ALL THE OLDER PUNK STUFF. STILL A 6FOOT MOWHAWKED PUNK GIRL WOULD HAVE BEEN A BLAST TO HANG WITH. I'VE BEEN MFASTING FOR OVER 2 WEEKS AND ALREADY LOST 16.5LBS SO IF YOU STICK WITH IT YOU CAN DO IT. I TO HAVE AN ADDICTIVE PERSONALITY YOU JUST GOT TO CHANGE YOUR FOOD ADDICTION FOR A MEDIFAST ADDICTION. :lol: IT'S NOT GOOD TO HAVE ANY ADDICTION BUT IF YOUR LIKE ME THAT LATTER OF THE TWO WOULD BE BEST :!:

LOTS OF LUCK
NIKKINIX
Today is the first day of the rest of my life!
NikkiNix
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby TamiL » April 17th, 2004, 4:53 pm

Hi kat
welcome to the forum!! :-P
Tami
ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU BELEIVE!!!

Medifast RESTART 13 March 09
150/my goal weight is 130
TamiL
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby keysdiver » April 18th, 2004, 4:50 am

Kat, welcome! How big is your ball python? We had one named Curious when the kids were little....they loved it
keysdiver

Postby RavenKat » April 18th, 2004, 5:33 am

Thanks for the welcoming words! It feels great to have people accept you sight unseen. Very cool.

I started Medifast a day early. I found I didn't have any crazy urge to eat one last (fill in the blank), so I figured, what the heck. :D In preparation I went through my pantry to clean it out and found cans that expired in 2001!!! It felt great throwing out stuff that had moved into this house with us almost 3 years ago.

I got a wee bit cranky last night when my neighbor started telling me that what I was doing would slow my metabolism. I think my enlightened answer was, "whatever." :oops: She's a good friend and when I see her tonight I'll explain myself better. I just didn't have the finesse to handle it last night. *sigh*

Ted is my ball python. He is 14 years old and about 4 feet long. I definitely didn't want a circus snake - 25 feet long and eating the cats - so we have kept him in a moderate tank and don't overfeed him. He was even in a fashion show last year! Pretty cool customer but I don't think I'll replace him when he's gone. I really love mammals, so my husband does the feeding. I didn't think it out too well 14 years ago.

Again thanks everyone! Hopefully soon I can add my words of wisdom to some other posts. :-P

K
259/180/165
RavenKat
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby marge » April 18th, 2004, 6:02 am

way to go....you are on your way with a whole bunch of friends to support you.

You go girl..you can do and we are all going to help you accomplish your goal.

marge

happy sunday ;) ;) ;)
marge
Preferred member

Return to Come on in.