mock Corned Beef and Cabbage

Add your favorite recipes.

mock Corned Beef and Cabbage

Postby Diana » January 10th, 2007, 8:03 pm

I know it's not Saint Patty's day yet, but I can't seem to get enough of this! Save a snack or two during the day to try this (accounting for the Fast Soup and boullion.

2-3 c water
1 pk Savory Beef Fast Soup
1 thingy beef boullion
1/8 to 1/4 tsp corriander seed
freshly ground pepper to taste (NO SALT!)
whatever other herbs/seasonings you'd like (I put a pinch of Herbs de Provence in, Italian Herbs would be fine, too...)

Start this to boil and add

5 oz lean precooked or just plain leftover ham (NOT canned, something like Black Forest) cut into thin strips or chunks or however you like it

Then,
1/4 sized wedge of a smallish head of cabbage with leaves separated and torn or chopped (yields about 1 1/2 c when cooked)

Add the pieces with the core attached first since they needs a little more time to cook. Boil for about 2 or 3 minutes (or simply turn the heat off and let it all sit a while). It's done when the leaves are bright green and just starting to turn transluscent (NOT TRANSPARENT -- over done for my taste there).

I usually pour off a large mug of the broth first, then empty the rest into a large soup bowl or small serving bowl. It has been so warm and filling on these chilly nights! And a lot leaner than actual corned beef (which will run you about 20 g of fat for a 5 oz serving). Just be warned: cabbage definitely contributes to the toot factor!
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby sidrah » January 11th, 2007, 10:06 pm

SOunds prety good. I will try that out some night for dinner. I am now going thorugh tuna like it is going out of style. I have about 40 cans still left and (un?)fortunately for me pay day is tomorrow, so I actually have some money to buy something other than tuna.

Cucumbers and tuna for 6 days straight is awesome. My bano is extremely, pleasantly odiferous. I look forward to the cb/cabb soup. Thanks for the idea!!
Don't really care as long as everything's better than yesterday was...

@}---- @}---- @}---- @}----
sidrah
Preferred member

Return to Lean Cuisine