MediScotti!!

Add your favorite recipes.

MediScotti!!

Postby BamaBabe » August 14th, 2006, 11:30 am

Here's my latest modification of the original Oatmeal Cookie Recipe - Dunno if anyone's come up w/ this one yet, but here 'tis! :D
Enjoy! :idea:

MediScotti!

1 pkt Medifast Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal (any flavor, really)
2 packets Splenda sweetener
1/3 cup warm water
1/8 tsp baking powder
½ tsp almond extract

Pre-heat oven to 350°.

Mix all dry ingredients together. Add extract and water.
Stir until moistened.

Set aside for 5-10 minutes to allow ingredients to achieve appropriate consistency (thick paste).

Place spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet (spray with Pam or use the Release Aluminum foil) You can even shape them into elongated ovals like "real" biscotti, for fun!

Bake for 15 - 18 minutes or until cookies have browned well. You may need to bake them a tad longer to achieve the coveted "biscotti crunch factor".

These are FAN-flippin'-TASTIC with a warm cup o' Joe or cozy cup o' tea!
Nikki :woohoo:
*~Giving myself my figure back for Christmas!~*
5'10" - ReStart:8/11/06
10#=8/14/06 20#-?
BamaBabe
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby Blessedmommieof3 » August 14th, 2006, 12:02 pm

Hi BamaBabe - I'm a former Bama girl myself - Mobile. :D

I'll try these today - I tried Nancy's recipe yesterday & I really liked it - I though about adding almond extract instead, but went with the vanilla, but I'll try the almond today.

It was a nice variation to the sticky oatmeal.
The Journey began July 30th, blogging along the way at Extrapounds*com
Blessedmommieof3
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby Sarya » August 14th, 2006, 12:19 pm

I can never get my cookies crunchy enough, they're always spongy. I'll have to try it again with this recipe.
Sarya
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby BamaBabe » August 14th, 2006, 12:31 pm

I've been having the same problem... the slightly longer cooking time seems to scoot this more toward the crunchy vs. spongy end of the spectrum though.

One thing I haven't tried is doing a test batch with baking soda vs. powder, and also a batch of the biscotti, especially, without *any* leavening & see what happens.

I will be doing 2-3 batches to keep in the fridge this afternoon when the kids get home, I may do one batch each way & report back on the crunch factor for everyone...

I really like a good ol' brick of a biscotti, so right now, I'm betting the no leavening one will be the best fit here :) Otherwise, bake within about 4 seconds of burning it, and you have the version I made that was yum! lol :mrgreen:
Nikki :woohoo:
*~Giving myself my figure back for Christmas!~*
5'10" - ReStart:8/11/06
10#=8/14/06 20#-?
BamaBabe
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby supermom » August 14th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Glad to see ya Bama!!
supermom

Postby ascicles » August 14th, 2006, 2:54 pm

Yeah, if I could figure out a way to get these crunchy, I would definitely enjoy them more. I just can't get into spongy cookies.
Start Date: 3/6/06

390/280/185

- Manly McMuscles
ascicles
Preferred Member - #110 Club
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby Sarya » August 14th, 2006, 3:54 pm

Well, I've made the granola which is basically this recipe without any leavening and possibly less water. It's chewy when you cook it for a decently long time. I thought about raising the temp in the oven, but now that I think about it, that probably won't work. Lower temperatures with longer cooking times helps moisture evaporate. Higher temperatures with shorter cooking times cooks the outside before the inside and traps moisture.

I just read an article about baking soda vs. baking powder. I'm not sure the baking soda will work, but I'd probably try it anyway. It apparently needs to be mixed with an acidic ingredient in order to product the carbon dioxide that makes the stuff rise. Baking powder has both the basic ingredient (baking soda) and the acidic ingredient (cream of tartar) plus a drying agent (starch).

Now it also says baking soda is usually used in cookies while baking powder is used in cakes, but baking soda can make a baked good bitter if it's not mixed with an acidic ingredient.

Sooooo... it may be the it just needs to be tried and see what happens.

The only acid I can think of that might work ok in a cookie like object *that we can have on plan* is lemon juice or cream of tartar (which is, of course, in baking powder). Other choices are vinegar, sour milk, buttermilk, honey, applesauce, brown sugar, molasses, chocolate and cocoa powder (only regular cocoa, not Dutch-process). (I know some people use cocoa powder but I'm not sure if we are supposed to.)
Sarya

Postby SharonR » August 14th, 2006, 7:55 pm

I found a way to make the "cookies" more like cookies. Before they seemed like favored RUBBER...let's be real...

So I mix them up and add twice as much Baking Powder and just enough water to make the dough moist. I mean it's not much, put a dab in and stir and then a little more, you want it just so that is wet and super thick. USE COLD WATER, not hot or even warm.

Then I use big spoon fulls and they turn out fluffier and more dense instead of spongy and rubbery...

It's worth a try!

Oh I never make one cookie ( one packet), i always use 4 packets at a time. I got my formulation from Bob Loblaw on there, then I just did it my way.
I also add a teaspoon of ICBINBS, which I am NOT recommended, but I like if that way. Adds 5 more calories to each cookie.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Start Weight 326.7 ~ My short term goal will put me at 250!

Started June 19th 2008. First Mini Goal 76.7 pounds.
SharonR
Preferred member

Return to Lean Cuisine