Lord of the Rings

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Lord of the Rings

Postby Arklahoma » July 10th, 2006, 9:57 am

DH and I have rented all three DVD's and are having a LOTR festival. Finished DVD 1 and 2 that are three hours each (whew ~ obviously too much time on my hands while I wait for the new job to start). Only one left to go and can't wait to see how it plays out. Anyone else out there fond of LOTR???

Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby LiLYipper » July 10th, 2006, 10:01 am

Me Me Me!!!! I LOVED all three films!!!! How did you like the first two?
LiLYipper
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Postby Arklahoma » July 10th, 2006, 10:46 am

I really liked them a lot more than I thought I would, but I find that it's very hard to follow along. For me, it's hard to keep all the names straight, who's good/bad, etc. I went to the LOTR site and am getting things in perspective before we watch the last installment. I would imagine that this is a series one could watch multiple times in order to catch all the nuances.
Arklahoma

Postby DntCryLilEmoGrl » July 10th, 2006, 12:51 pm

i read all three books and looove the movies :D
"Soon to be mrs sexy pants"
lilemo's getting married on April 6th 2008!!!!!

started changing my life 5/15/06
restarted 10/01/07
DntCryLilEmoGrl
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Serendipity » July 10th, 2006, 6:06 pm

I read the three books and "The Hobbit" and loved the movies. Always went on opening night with my son and husband.

hmmmmm, not my normal kind of movie. But I just loved those hobbits!
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Mike » July 10th, 2006, 8:00 pm

Okay, now you have done it Ark. I love the Trilogy, and the Hobbit, and all of the other Middle Earth stuff (I like looking through the Atlas for fun. The movies were great, even with some of the changes that were made.
We bought each box edition as soon as they came out.
Wait til Dayna reads this thread... now that is the real Trilogy fan :mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby sidrah » July 10th, 2006, 10:23 pm

Wow, another movie series I have never seen. I have also never seen, nor read Harry Potter for the record. I think I am sometimes meant to not be a teacher. I refuse to read any of these books in class and the kids get peeved. Oh well.
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby Arklahoma » July 12th, 2006, 6:16 am

Finally finished the third DVD last night and really liked it. Honestly, I'm a little confused about the Hobbits book but totally get the gist of the "ring" storyline. Just went back to LOTR website and it seems there are many books and things. Gonna check it out.
Arklahoma

Postby Dayna » July 13th, 2006, 9:55 am

I love love love love love all things Tolkien. As great as the movies are, the books are even better (although the first half of Fellowship takes forever to get through . . . but then things start speeding up, and by the end of Two Towers you're under the covers with a flashlight at 3:00 AM on a school night trying not to cheer and gasp outloud so's to avoid waking up anyone who might come and tell you to quit reading and go to sleep :mrgreen: ).

Did you watch the theatrical release versions, or the extended versions? The extended versions give the story much more depth, and might make the characters easier to keep straight.

Ack. Between this and the Star Wars thread, I'm finding myself severely tempted to throw all work to the wind today and plant my butt in front of those movies. Must . . . be . . . strong . . . can't spend . . . all day . . . watching . . . movies . . . arrrrgggghhh . . . .
Someone once wrote:I'm allergic to cake. I break out in fat when I eat it.

8/05 - 275
SD - 1/17/06 - 259

Dayna

Postby Arklahoma » July 13th, 2006, 10:46 am

Dayna ~ I watched the theatrical releases and I did find it a little difficult to make out details; although, the overall storyline was easy to figure out. I didn't really expect to like it, but I did so now I'm gonna read The Hobbit and see how that goes. If all goes well then I may read them all <grin>.
Arklahoma

Postby MARIE » July 13th, 2006, 6:29 pm

I love Lord of The Rings and Tolkein was a fascinating man. There are some good books on his life (and his good friend, C.S. Lewis--they used to spend time together in a pub in Scotland--he writing the Rings and Lewis writing Narnia--(and I am sure writing many other things and trading their wisdom with each other)...their friendship was really cool!)

In the movies, we talk about Frodo and Sam's friendship with our boys; it's a great model for brothers! I bawled, my husband wept, and my older son tried to hide his tears at the end of "Return of the King"...I won't give it away for those who haven't seen it--but most of you know what I mean--how many of you cried? You feel wonderful and sad and hopeful all at the same time!

The music is also gorgeous!
MARIE
Trusted Member - #20 Club

Postby Mike » July 13th, 2006, 8:07 pm

Nasty little hobbittses :mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Arklahoma » July 14th, 2006, 5:58 am

I came very close to crying but my husband was looking at me funny so I held back :lol:

Thought the story was very inspiring about how one small person can make a huge difference!!!
Arklahoma

Return to What's Shakin'