Learning Lesson

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Learning Lesson

Postby jenn161012 » October 12th, 2005, 8:05 pm

Well folks, I had my first serious fallback. I took the day off of the diet. I don't know why it was so compelling to eat junk, but it wasn't even good. Worse, it gave me indigestion! I do not feel guilty or ashamed of what I did (maybe a little), but it makes me mad that I voluntarily added another week or so to my weightloss phase.

I did realize, however, something that is incredibly important. Not only do I use food when I feel insecure, taken for granted, or worthless, I also turn to food when I accomplish a goal; particularly an educational goal. Food has become a reward system, of sorts. I don't know how or when this started - all I do know is that I am alone while in law school. Perhaps, food has taken the place of friends and family back home and I celebrate with it instead of them. Next time I feel the urge to go off of the plan, I need to ask myself if I am using food to celebrate or because of the triggers I described above.

Also, I have made the decision to stop obsessing with the scale. I don't expect to lose a lot of weight per week because I am a slow loser. Nonetheless, I find myself giving into the temptation to constantly weigh myself (thinking: I just went to the bathroom, maybe I lost some weight). I haven't weighed in for about a week and hope I can withstand the temptation until November.

Live and learn! :-P Thanks for letting me vent.

Love you all.
Jennifer
Re-start: 6/4/06
221/218/140

<edit>incorrect ticker removed - UT</edit>
jenn161012
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby mytime » October 12th, 2005, 8:34 pm

Jenn- sounds like you learned a lot about yourself which in my view is as important if not more so than getting the wt off. This ensures that you will have the skills to keep it off - which is really the ultimate goal. The scale can be tough - but you are doing great. Take care, Mytime
Nothing changes if nothing changes.
Restart Feb 15 2009
mytime
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Nancy » October 12th, 2005, 8:47 pm

Hey there, jenn161012 ~

At least you won't be walking around with a black eye from beating yourself up. I agree with MyTime - it was a lesson learned.

The scale can truly make ya :nana:...some people weigh once a month.

Maybe you would do well by putting the scale in the garage or another room. When we pass by it every time we go to the sandbox, it can make us focus on the number on the scale and we need to focus on changing our eating habits - how often we eat, how much we eat and what kinds of foods we eat.

The scale is only a very small part of weight control or weight maintenance - it is just one type of measuring device - our belt, the waistband of our jeans, the snugness of our safety belt, the ease in the way our slacks or dress zips up, etc. are also measuring devices and reliable indicators of our slimming success.

For a lifetime of weight management, we will need to eat lean meats, low glycemic carbohydrates, veggies and fruits - in small quantities eaten frequently not big loads of fatty carby sugary foods or we'll never take a load off permanently.

I noticed that you didn't even enjoy the grub - I know all about that - I've eaten stuff I hate, i just wanted to eat. Glad you came to your senses, Jenn!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Return to The Weight Room