Just do it.....

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Just do it.....

Postby JeepGirl » November 7th, 2006, 4:54 am

It does make a difference.....

JeepGirl
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Elke » November 7th, 2006, 6:10 am

You got that right girl :) Its a great right to have, don't loose it!!!
I LOVE THIS COUNTRY
Elke
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby bdg » November 7th, 2006, 7:22 am

Seeing as I have today off, that is one of the things I am planning on doing today. Might even ride my bike over there once it gets a bit warmer.
Start date: April 8, 2006
bdg
Preferred Member - #190 Club

Postby MISSANNE » November 7th, 2006, 11:10 am

Dare I say I'm not a registered voter?
Michelle
MISSANNE
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » November 7th, 2006, 11:23 am

I voted last week. (And not even registered to vote???? I can't even comment. I've never understood how people can not vote.)
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby JeepGirl » November 7th, 2006, 11:46 am

I guess if you are not registered then you bow out of any sort of convo regarding any of your City/State/Nations laws and lawmakers?

I have voted in every election since I was 18 and my kids have went to the polls with me since they were born..it is a big deal here and I want to make sure they know that they need to vote in order have a say in hoe our Leaders lead.

*not meaning to stir anything up here :) *
JeepGirl

Postby Serendipity » November 7th, 2006, 11:55 am

I voted this morning on one of those new fangled machines. I sometimes get discouraged because my husband and I cancel out his sisters' votes, but if we didn't, who would?

I really don't know how three children raised in the same household could hold such differing views.....needless to say, we don't discuss politics at family gatherings anymore.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby bdg » November 7th, 2006, 12:04 pm

Voted a bit ago, and of the 4 machines in our precinct, only 3 worked. Also noticed no allowance made for disabled persons. The machine was easy to use and the poll workers were sure to explain to each voter how the machine worked since this is the first time with the new machines.
Start date: April 8, 2006
bdg

Postby Lauren » November 7th, 2006, 12:07 pm

I'm right there with you, Jeep and Robin! I was so excited when I turned 18 and was allowed to vote, I couldn't wait for the next election to roll around!

I was excited to set my alarm early and get to the voting booths asap!

And, Missanne, by no means is this meant as an assault on you, but actually as a generic comment to all the non-voters of the country (of which there are millions, sadly): You have the power and privilege to affect the direction of this country. If you have any opinions about any aspect of your life, from the war in Iraq to the cost of gas, from your taxes to your children's education, from the right to choose to the welfare system, any opinion about anything that exists in the country today and/or will apply tomorrow, then you should vote. And if you don't have any opinions at all about anything, then, well, how sad.

Anyway, maybe we have the opportunity to get a few non-voters in the MF community to register for future elections, I am thinking the 2008 one should be pretty exciting!

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby VictoriousNat » November 7th, 2006, 4:46 pm

Well I am a naturalized citizen so for me its a big, big deal. Before I became a US Citizen, I could not vote anywhere - not in my home coutry (total corruption) and not here (was a permanent resident). So once I became a citizen, I was so "stoked"!
Nat
Start 8/24/06
Lost 34lbs and over 30 Inches. Regained 9lbs. Down 4lbs on vacation in Jamaica - yeehaw!
Waiting for Doctor's clearance to restart MF.
VictoriousNat
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby DogMa » November 7th, 2006, 5:05 pm

Very well said, Lauren. And that's great, Nat! You've probably said before, but where are you from?

The only bummer about voting here is I'm completely in the minority - which I'm used to since I tend to live in very conservative places. But I figure at least I'm speaking up. (But as an example, the race for Congress in my district? A Republican whose main claim to fame seems to be that he unsuccessfully opposed the local Hooter's; a Democrat who is about 25 years old, spent $150 on his campaign and did no fundraising; and a Libertarian who didn't even run a campaign.)
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby casma500 » November 7th, 2006, 8:04 pm

VERY WELL SAID, Lauren!! There are so many things decided in the polls.

I voted today as I had a dr appt -- and my [vote] state rep and his wife were there handing out emery boards! What a blessing to ask him a few questions I had!!!
~ Be Yourself -- Everyone Else is Already Taken ~

Postby VictoriousNat » November 7th, 2006, 9:32 pm

DogMa wrote:And that's great, Nat! You've probably said before, but where are you from?

I am from what used to be British Guiana, now just Guyana post independence. Brazil to the South/Southwest, Venezuela to the North West, Suriname (Dutch Guyana) to the East/Southeast and the Atlantic Ocean to the North/Northeast. Trinidad 55 minutes off the Atlantic coast. We have the world's highest straight drop water fall. Check her out

Twice as high as Victoria Falls and Five times as high as Niagara.

Mr. Jimmy Carter is a frequent "guest" overseeing elections there. sigh.
Nat
Start 8/24/06
Lost 34lbs and over 30 Inches. Regained 9lbs. Down 4lbs on vacation in Jamaica - yeehaw!
Waiting for Doctor's clearance to restart MF.
VictoriousNat
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby MISSANNE » November 7th, 2006, 11:15 pm

I highly doubt my 1 vote is going to change the world.

Simply put, not into politics. Never have been. My mom always gives me a hard time because i never know what they are talking about. I dont watch the news and I dont read the paper. Im in no way stupid or ignorant.. I view it as all bad news ( news) and lies (politics).

I do not discuss politics with most people, I just seem to make them mad because I am not passionate about it. Whatever.

Just how I feel. Im a minority I guess also.
Michelle
MISSANNE
Preferred member

Postby VickyJ » November 8th, 2006, 4:40 am

I exercised my right to vote yesterday, but it looks like I was in the minority on most issues. A gambling issue failed and they passed laws to ban smoking - this is bad for me since we just bought a bar / restaurant and paid TONS of money for expensive smoke-eaters. grrrrrr. I quit smoking 3 years ago, but people in bars should be allowed to smoke. But the majority disagrees.

Nat, that waterfall is amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Michelle, your right is just that - your right - it goes both ways! If you don't care to vote, exercise that right as well.
VickyJ
Start Date: 7/8/06 166 Goal: 11/9/06 140

VickyJ
Trusted Member - #20 Club

Next

Return to What's Shakin'