jskm

1 Thread per registered User.

Postby jskm » November 3rd, 2007, 11:15 pm

The weekend is going ok. I didn't have any loss this morning, which is a little aggravating. But I'm holding out for a loss tomorrow. I think I'm going to change my weigh in to Sundays so I can weigh in with everyone else. So I won't have a full week this week, but oh well. I've still lost a couple pounds since my weigh in last Tuesday. I'll take it--at least it's not a complete stall like last week or worse, a gain! :o
Restart date 10/16/2007
jskm
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby rodeomom » November 4th, 2007, 6:56 am

I guess this is why I don't weigh everyday. Now everyone is going to jump out of the wood work :tomato: and give you all the advantages of weighing everyday, but we are women right? Well most of us here are.... Anyway, our weight naturally fluctuates throughout the day and in a week's time. I like to give myself (and my scale) time to process the program meals and see what happens at then end of the week. If I do not see a loss of any kind at the end, I'll certainly be frustrated, but that hasn't happened yet. Weighing daily can get depressing, looking for big drops in the morning and not seeing them would frustrate me too much. JUST MY OPINION! Now - fire away :tomato:
09/21/07 - 12/21/07 Lost 80 Pounds Ankle Surgery 12-21-07
rodeomom
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Out*With*The*Old » November 4th, 2007, 8:59 am

Hey there! I’m sorry to see that you’re struggling with the scale! I know firsthand how aggravating it is to be perfectly on plan and to post a gain or stay the same. I had consistent losses my first 2 weeks – by consistent, I mean daily (yuppers, I WI every day). It may have been only -.2 but every day I had a loss. Then came week 3. Week three looked like this for me:

The first day I was up .4 and just thought it was normal body changes. Then the next day I lost it again and thought, ‘OK I am back on track’. Then I stayed them same – then I gained a pound - - HUH??!!?? I write down everything I eat so I went back over my meals over and over again to see if I was as ‘on plan’ as I thought I had been…..and I was! I was eating according to the guides, well within limits bla bla bla. When I looked at my calorie and carb intake though I found that my carb intake the first 2 weeks had been in the mid 70’s. Late in week 2 and then for week 3 my carb intake was close to and over 90. ‘They say’ you should be under 100 carbs each day BUT if you stop losing you should target 80-85. So, although I had been perfectly on plan, the planned foods I had were too high in carbs. Eventually I’m sure I would have started losing again. Frankly, I’d rather adjust my carbs and lose now :). So I did just that. As soon as I started watching my carb intake my losses started again and the weight is falling off! THE MORAL of the story – look at what you are eating. Post it here if you want and get others opinions. (I should add that I had signs of being out of ketosis that I didn’t recognize until after I realized it was the carbs! I was TIRED and hungry where I hadn’t been while in Ketosis - - so listen to your body!)

As far as weighing daily: My thoughts would be to do what is best for you. Some can handle the daily WI for others it is a trigger. I weigh every day, claim it on my ticker every day and celebrate each success I have when I have it. You have to find what works for you. I am a fan of the daily WI for two reasons….the first is the situation above. Had I been on plan the WHOLE week and weighed and posted a 1-2 pound gain (and that’s what would have happened) I would have been over the moon mad and I wouldn’t have been able to pinpoint when the scale started moving north. The daily numbers helped me narrow down the issue. So, to me the daily WI is a barameter. However, if I am up just a little I don’t worry about it as I know it will come right back off if I am still doing the plan right. For example yesterday I was up .4, no biggie, I didn’t worry about it. Had I been up again today though I would have possibly started to wonder. BUT, today I was down 1.8 so I know I am still on track :).

The second reason I WI every day is that is what I plan to do once I am at goal. I will WI daily so I can spot an increase right away and do something about it. By then, I should know my body and my normal ups and downs well since I am weighing every day now.

So that is what I do and why - - I hope it helps in some way. Just find what works for YOU. We are all different :)

Good Luck!!
Out*With*The*Old

Postby jskm » November 4th, 2007, 10:26 am

Thanks to both of you for replying! RM, weighing daily has been depressing for me lately--I don't see anything to fire at you about!! I think I may continue to grit my teeth and do it though for the practical reasons OWTO listed though, I am experimenting with some new foods on my L&G (the meatless options, I starting eating eggs and cheese this week, now I'm wondering if that's affecting me carb wise) so I think I'll keep an eye on how things are going.

HOWEVER, I think I have something else going on with my scale, and I think it's my darn scale!! :x Today, after I got off it I happened to accidentally tip it and it fell back onto the floor so I for some reason thought I should get back on it, and sure enough it gave me a completely different reading. I did that four different times, and got four WAAAAY different weights. I finally made dh come and get on it, then I got on it after him five times and all five of those times it gave me the same weight. But I think I might need a new scale, and now I wonder how many times I've weighed myself and it's been wrong. Sheesh.

But anyway, the "official" (I hope) weight this morning was another one pound loss, so I was happy, and I'm taking it. :-P

And, I noticed that my BMI has now dropped below 30, which changes me from the obese category to now just overweight. Another nice milestone for me. :)
Restart date 10/16/2007
jskm

Postby Out*With*The*Old » November 4th, 2007, 10:33 am

jskm wrote:HOWEVER, I think I have something else going on with my scale, and I think it's my darn scale!! :x

Oh yeeah, I so hate those roaming scales that ya can't trust!! It is totally worth investing in a new scale, IMHO. I bought a new one a few diets back (lol) and made the 21st century change to a digi scale that tracks in decimals too -- man, i never thought I'd be so darn happy over a .2 pound loss, lol.

OK, now that you read through the daily vs weekly WI thoughts I'll add this......I'm neurotic :) I weight at night before I go to bed too - LOL. I've done this long enough now that I know by the nightly weight what the scale fairy *should* read in the morning :). I never claimed to be sane, ya know :)

I'm glad you're seeing a loss now - - and yes, daily WI's can help if you are trying new things. ESP if they are higher in carbs. What I did was plug my food intake into the TSFL food tracker and looked at the calorie and carbs and waaaa laaaaa it became clear to me :)

Good luck - - and good for you for sticking with it and trying to figure out what's going on instead of giving up and binging! That's something to be proud of!!
Out*With*The*Old

Postby rodeomom » November 4th, 2007, 10:46 am

The key is not to let yourself get discouraged with one or two days of a stall. Use other measuring devices. Are you clothes getting baggy? Did you measure different body parts? Those kinds of things are better indicators for me than the scale. Keep in mind - I say that AS I continue to weigh AND see consistant losses.
09/21/07 - 12/21/07 Lost 80 Pounds Ankle Surgery 12-21-07
rodeomom

Postby bikipatra » November 4th, 2007, 11:26 am

I just bought a new scale and am so happy I did. It is the third scale I have gone through in a year. First was an analog and I was too fat to read it myself. Next was a digital and that worked fine for many months until it started giving me weird readings and then I would weight again and get a different reading. Scales shouldn't do that. I am very happy with my new scale and I know it is right because it matches my analog scale. Yes, I still weigh twice in the mornings, just to make sure. ;) It seems silly for me to weigh any other time because I drink so much water how on earth would I know what was me and what was food and water? Also, I don't want to wear this new baby out!
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby iammissruth » November 5th, 2007, 10:37 am

How are ya doing Brooke? That mean ol' scale still giving ya problems? Just checkin on ya and seeing how things are going.
How's the weather out there? We are still in record highs. :(
Ruthetta
iammissruth
Preferred member

Postby jskm » November 5th, 2007, 11:05 am

I am good. I had a nice one lb loss yesterday, but then a one lb gain today. :? But, I know my scale is screwy, so who knows if it's accurate. I need to go out today and get a new one.

The weather here has been awesome. Nice and cool, I can't believe it's still record highs there!

How are you?
Restart date 10/16/2007
jskm

Postby iammissruth » November 5th, 2007, 11:17 am

I'm good. A little tired here at work because of the time change but good. AF is playing with my scale.
Hey I have a question for you. oh wait, I'm gonna go read my journal, I saw that you made a post so I will come back and ask.
Ruthetta
iammissruth
Preferred member

Postby iammissruth » November 5th, 2007, 11:23 am

Yep, you answered my question. I was gonna ask you about flying with a baby.
Good luck to us both. I am gonna talk to her doctor tomorrow about flying. Maybe he can offer some insight and possibly a baby motion sickness med. Makes them sleepy, and if they are sleeping, there is less crying. ;)
Ruthetta
iammissruth
Preferred member

Postby jskm » November 5th, 2007, 1:15 pm

Well I went and got a new scale and boy am I glad I did.

The scale I had before was a digital scale that read to the half pound. It ran on a lithium battery, but I just thought about it today and realized I had had the thing for six years. So even a lithium battery might be getting tired by now. Might explain the funny readings I kept getting lately.

Anyway, I got the new scale and stepped on mid day after I have been eating and drinking tons of water. Remember my old scale said I had gained a pound from yesterday to today--it said I was 162.5 this morning. Well new scale says I am 159.8!! Woohoo!! I :heart: new scale!! :clapclap:

Off to update ticker....
Restart date 10/16/2007
jskm

Postby iammissruth » November 5th, 2007, 1:19 pm

WWWEEEEEE That is awesome. :cleader: I wish that happened when I bought a new scale. My old scale was 5 pounds UNDER my real weight so I had quite a shock when I jumped on the new one. But it does body fat% so I'm happy with it.
That is really good news about the new scale.
BTW, I sent you a pm.
Ruthetta
iammissruth
Preferred member

Postby jskm » November 6th, 2007, 10:06 am

I had a great night last night. Yesterday was my eight year wedding anniversary. Anyway, we went out to dinner and decided on the restaurant where we had our first date, which happened to be Applebees. I had a heck of a time finding something that I wasn't afraid would be illegal! It seemed like everything had a sauce or a marinade or something integral in the dish that might be filled with carbs. I'm still fairly new, so I was playing on the safe side.

I asked the waiter to come back three times while I scoured the menu. I finally found something that looked pretty safe with a couple of omissions. One of the things I did to make it legal I ended up omitting rice and substituting a second order of veggies. Unfortunately when the veggies came they were all broccoli. Legal yes, but I've been eating broccoli all week, so I was a little broccoli'd out. Blech. Oh well, it was legal, and I was out to dinner, which was a miracle in itself!

That menu looked good though.... but then I got on the scale this morning and had lost another 0.7 lbs and I was glad I did the right thing. :D
Restart date 10/16/2007
jskm

Postby Mike » November 6th, 2007, 10:17 am

The Santa Fe or Grilled Caesar Salads are good. Just ask for no strips or croutons and low fat dressing.

Good job on your choices.... and Happy Anniversary. :cheers:

:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

PreviousNext

Return to My Journal