Isn't it annoying.....

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Isn't it annoying.....

Postby Nite Izes » February 4th, 2005, 9:46 am

Isn't is annoying when you are all gung ho and give it your best and then something out of nowhere, unexpectly and suddenly hits you, whether you want it or not that prevents you from getting to your goals?

Well that is what is happening to me, it makes me so :x and I want to keep going but this stupid cast is like a smack in the face telling me too bad and forget about it that March goal - it isn't gonna happen for you. I hate to start something and feel like a quitter when I am not.

I know the main reason I am losing weight is to better my health, but I am getting edgy over here. If you look at my stats at the bottom sig, it took me almost a year to lose a total of almost 75 lbs. I worked so hard dedicating myself to this and am so close to reaching my 2nd goal and my mini mission goal wasn't so far away either. Then wham this ankle bone incident that makes me look like I am giving up, but I am not.

There is no way that I can lose the weight on my mission goal with the way things are going on. Unfortunately, I am force to restart my mission goal, once this cast comes off. For now, I look stupid because I made a mission goal and will not be able to succeed it because things like these happens whether I like it or not and unable to see how to lose weight when I have to sit like a couch potato until the bone heals. If I walk around, it will put more stress on the bone and leg, preventing from healing properly ah....phooey.
:felix:
(303)285/208/140
start date: 3/27/04
BMI=55.4 New BMI= 38.0
WT Loss= -95/-77
GOALS
√ 1st goal= 250 BMI= 45.7
√ 2nd goal=219 BMI= 39.9
3rd goal = 191 BMI= 34.9
4th goal = 163 BMI= 29.8
5th goal = 140 BMI= 25.6
Nite Izes
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby explorthis » February 4th, 2005, 9:57 am

There is no way that I can lose the weight on my mission goal with the way things are going on.

Am I missing something? Because you’re stuck on the couch, you’re forced to not continue with Medifast? Instead, if I am reading this, you are STILL stuck on the couch (potato) and eat regular food instead?

If you remember Nancy, and myself, find her posts; I believe she did absolutely NO exercise while in the losing stage of Medifast. Additionally I did not even begin walking, or doing any form of exercise until like the 3rd month of my loss.

Look at Spidey, I know for a fact, only recently did he get a treadmill, and begin exercise, and he has lost 90+ pounds, with MINIMAL exercise…

Explain, cause I am lost…

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Nite Izes » February 4th, 2005, 12:24 pm

Oh no, Mike, don't get me wrong. I am still taking my Medifast drinks and food. But it is one thing to be moving about as I had on a regular daily basis and being stuck on the sofa or bed with your leg raised up to prevent swelling and using this leg machine on the other leg to help with circulation. I fear if I stay sitting down that it will cause me to gain weight, eventhough I take my shake and am aware of my food intake since I am require to have a meal. I weighed myself last night and got shocked because with the cast on the weight shown is unbelievable and I panic.

It is just that I am not used to sitting for most of the day. I am always up and about. So I find this difficult to deal with. 12 months ago I was 303 lbs and today at 230 lbs, but I was also in some form of low impact exercise and this sitting around time is so new to me now that I am not use to looking like I am a part of the furniture. I know it is mind over matter, but it gets to me. I asked the doc that I would like to walk about, but the orthopaedic recommend to let the bone heal and not to place weight on the leg for 3 more weeks. I even placed crosses on the calender as the days pass so I know how long I have before this cast comes off for good. I think it is getting to me and I am keeping myself doing a hobby as I am planted on this sofa.
(303)285/208/140
start date: 3/27/04
BMI=55.4 New BMI= 38.0
WT Loss= -95/-77
GOALS
√ 1st goal= 250 BMI= 45.7
√ 2nd goal=219 BMI= 39.9
3rd goal = 191 BMI= 34.9
4th goal = 163 BMI= 29.8
5th goal = 140 BMI= 25.6
Nite Izes
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby 24KaratGold » February 4th, 2005, 12:30 pm

Hey there lady!

Sorry about the leg -- life is a B***h sometimes, isn't it? But take heart from the fact that others who did no exercise at all still lost weight on the plan.

And for goodness sakes, woman, stay off the scale while the cast is on your leg! Talk about a way to mess with your head! Geez!

Besides, how long is the cast on for, six weeks? Just think what the scale might say if you've spent six weeks being totally compliant with your (modified for diabetic, I know) Medifast plan, and haven't weighed at all in that period of time. Awesome!

Be well . . . .
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Marseilles » February 4th, 2005, 12:32 pm

Aww Nite, I am sympathetic to your plight! Kudos to you, for remaining focused and on MF while you are laid up.

Have you considered perhaps getting some light free weights that you could use and work on your upper body while you are recuperating? As well, I bet leg-lifts even in that dreadful cast would be helpful. (Assuming you can lift with your thighs and not add strain to the damaged area)

Aside from that, I think I would really suggest that you cut yourself a little bit of slack and maybe just set the numbers aside for a while, and perhaps the scale. If you are true to program as recommended by your doctor you will surely lose regardless of being laid up, albeit maybe slower.

Take the time to rest, it will serve you well. You really need to take the Doc's advice and let that leg heal so that you are not further damaging it. This is a short term setback, in the scheme of things. You have, afterall, lost 70+lbs in a year.

THAT, is awesome!!!

I hope you have a wonderful weekend, all things considered.
-M.
Marseilles
Preferred member

Postby 24KaratGold » February 4th, 2005, 12:36 pm

Oh, hey, and I just thought of something! Thank goodness you lost that 70 pounds last year! Look what a good thing you did for yourself there. I bet your recuperation would be much, much worse with 70 additional pounds on your body.

If you are bored, you can find a bunch of free games to play (either singly, or with another online player) at pogo (dot) com. I'm there a lot in the evenings playing dominos.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Know how you feel

Postby Simmshe » February 7th, 2005, 12:04 am

Nite,

I hope you are hanging in there and things are looking a little brighter for you! I haven't posted here in ages (okay it's been over a month and a half :|), and I wanted to post something to you as soon as I read your original post about your injury (which was the same day that you posted it), but since I have been MIA, not on plan, and depressed, I didn't feel up to posting on the forum yet.

Nevertheless, I'm here now and just want to offer a little support from someone who knows first-hand about what you are dealing with. Ridiculously fatigued, careless me, wasn't watching where I was going on January 2nd, and missed a 4-5-inch step as I was leaving a store :roll:. You know how we sometimes roll our ankles, but we catch it and walk it off? Well, I didn't catch it, and unfortunately was slightly above ground and completely fell--wasn't able to stop any of the twisting. As some of you "old-timers" probably know from what I have posted on the forum, I was working two jobs from November all the way through the December, subsisting on 4-hours of sleep and struggling terribly with this. In fact, I worked 12 hours on New Year's day--desperate to finish up the second project that I had been struggling with for weeks. I didn't want to bring the overworked energy into the new year. And ironically, I was on my only outing for the day when my accident occurred--I was at the Office Depot getting my 2005 calendars (Wall and planner--I'm a little anal about calendars and the new year)--and it's their stupid step that I "missed" :roll: (okay, okay, still feeling a little bitterness here). Well, the rest is history, and I knew on the way down that "this was going to be bad." And as the popping sensation so excruciatingly let me know--I tore ligaments on both sides of my left ankle and have been on short-term disability from work since then--5 weeks :(!!

Bad news for me is that I was planning to restart MF the next day and was so bitter and borderline depressed before the injury, that I just spiraled into an even darker mood in the following weeks. Good news for you is that you are already on plan--don't let this injury disrupt it. I think that if I had had pretty good momentum on plan before this injury happened, it would have been MUCH easier for me to still be on plan now ... anyways I'll write more about my dismal two months in another post :|.

Just keep hanging in and do the best you can, Nite--I know how tough this is. As for your concern about gaining weight or maintaining, I would venture to say that you should have no problem with continuing to lose weight, even with no exercise. And it takes months, and even years (depending on how long a person has been an exerciser) to lose fitness and muscle strength, so even having to scale back, or stopping, exercise for a few weeks will do little damage to your progress. If I could maintain weight, between 285-288lbs, while binge eating on pizzas (and I don't even love pizza--it was just the easiest food to have delivered) every other day (I keep no non-Medifast food in the house, so I ordered out a lot), I bet you will continue to lose by sticking with your MF plan. [When I went off plan in December, my weight shot up 25lbs in 6 days--no kidding!; but then again, I'm a huge binge eater and retain water from carbs like a sponge, so when I go off, I go OFF!--so from the end of December, before my injury even happened, I was 285lbs and I've maintained this for 5 weeks--although I have to say that I couldn't even stand on the scale properly for three weeks--I would stand on my good leg, in the middle of my digital scale, which gave me a rough idea of how much I weighed.]

Anyways Nite, hang tough and take comfort if you have loved ones around to help you :). I live alone in a third floor apartment and the isolation rendered me near comatose and crazy :nutz:! I now know why solitary confinement is a great punishment tool. It sucks when our freedom is taken away from us, especially when we have big plans, as you do with your weight loss mission. And I'm not one of those "it could be worse people"--when misfortunes befall us, no matter how seemingly minor it might seem to others--it hurts, plain and simple! But just do the best you can and try not to get caught up in "downer" thinking because it will surely send your mood and momentum downhill in no time flat! It's natural for anyone who is sidelined by an injury or illness to be depressed initially--so go a little easy on yourself. Hey, and look at the great workout you get during the first two weeks or so of having your injury--between sitting up and laying back down and using crutches for three weeks, I felt like I went through bootcamp. I had sore abdominal and chest mucles that I forgot existed! Okay, it was a little torturous, but it's a little silver lining :huh:?

Take care Nite--don't let this situation unravel you--you will still do fine :).

Sheryl
Restart: 5/01/05
333/280/155

Original start: 7/13/04-12/12/04
High weight (1997): 386lbs

Success depends upon previous preparation, and without such preparation there is sure to be failure--Confucius
Simmshe
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Return to The Weight Room