hrmmm

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

hrmmm

Postby pinkgeek » April 6th, 2004, 12:03 pm

Hallo everyone!

I hope everyone is feeling good with spring approaching (at least it is here in the good ole Midwest). I hope everyone is feeling strong about the plan and are chugging right along with the choo-choo to Thinville! I feel like the little engine that could right now. Jeanette, I appreciate your comments about setting myself up for failure (the one you made to me after my roll call post on Sunday). I just feel that I have to justify posting my small results. But don't worry, I am just being really cautious. When I think about cheating, I think about the food hangovers and the disappointment in myself, and the emptiness and pain that will result from trying to fill the void with food, so I think I'm okay the time being. I am feeling a lil emm what's the word, a little less than thrilled right now. I was reading over everyone's terriffic stats and reading some of the testimonials of MF'ers that have lost 30 lbs in 6 weeks, etc. I'm on week 3 and haven't lost anything in 2 days. I have been over my plan a million times and don't think I'm doing anything wrong. I am not on the modified plan, so no food has gone into my mouth at all other than the supplements. I haven't even tried the crackers. I guess my PCOS might be slowing me down some and I know I should talk to Terry and/or Nancy. I just was hoping to lose like 20lbs in the first month and then have most of the weight gone by my birthday (8/30). I have done pretty well so far, but my body always stops losing after about 10-12 lbs. My plan was to give MF a month to see how I did (to see if I could get past the 12lb mark. But now I want to do MF for the duration, just b/c if nothing else I need to teach myself that food has a place and it's not the drug I was using it for. I want the weight off, too, though. I know we all want it gone yesterday. I just need some ideas for speeding up the process. I will start exercising this week or next depending on how my muscles feel. This is week three, so it should be safe for sure by the time Monday rolls around. Okay guys, I'm not complaining, just feeling a little bleh today. *Group hug* I needed that! You guys keep on shaking and posting. I need to have you all here around me to keep going!
~Angela

Start date: 3/21/04
195.5/159.5/115
After a week off: Restart 6/7/04
164/154.4/115
pinkgeek
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby Carrie » April 6th, 2004, 1:20 pm

Hey Angela,

Part of why I think you're so disappointed is that frankly in relation to everyone else, you're starting out from a lower number than we are (most of us anyway). People in the 250-300 + range do post big numbers in the beginning. But we also have a lot more to lose, and the initial fast drop really doesn't show that much on us.

When I lost the first 17 pounds of my 265.5, it only made a half inch difference in my hips. A measly half inch. The loss is spread out over a bigger body so it doesn't look as drastic as when someone 20 pounds overweight loses 17 of it.

You're starting out under 200 pounds ....... you have significantly less to lose than most of us ..... but when you do lose it'll make a bigger difference SIZE-WISE, just like every additional 17 pounds I lose will make a bigger and bigger difference SIZE-WISE on me.

Proportionally, when you lost your first 10 pounds you got a smidge over 12% of the way to your goal. When I lost the first 10 I got 7% of the way there.

The scale isn't going to go down every day. I've had as much as 6 days of being faithful to the program and not losing anything, and then BLAMO the scale starts dropping again.

I would LOVE to be starting out at 195. I would love to only have 80 pounds to lose. I'd switch places with you in a heartbeat!

It's all a matter of perspective, and choosing to look at things in a positive light. I can promise you that every day isn't going to reap rewards scale- wise, and you are going to have tough days emotionally. But I can also promise you that those hours and days are going to pass. Whether you chose to move toward your goal or away from it is your choice and only.

Stick with it, tough out the rough times, and keep your eye on the prize. You can do this,
Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby elle4nelly » April 6th, 2004, 1:40 pm

Angela!
Here 's your Hug! :stroll:
It's okay to feel blah! It happens and will happen every now and then. Just hang in there tight. Some people lose faster than other and that's just the way it goes. You worry only about your body. If you're following everything and drinking your water, the weight will come off. The body is a very intricate beautiful thing. It also had a memory of everytime you went on a diet. It knows exactly at which point you have given up. dieting is not something the body wants to do. If you have been eating a large calorie diet for a while, and suddenly drop your caloric intake, your body depending on how many times you've abused it with stringent diets will at first (not knowing what you're up to) drop the weight. It thinks during the initial phase that you're simply eating less and that it is a temporary thing. But if you persist on eating less it realises that you are putting it through yet another diet and it begins to halt in an attempt to make you quit thus forcing you to return to the higher calories intake you're usually at when not dieting. BUT..it is not possible for the human body to plateau forever at 500-600 calories. Absolutely not! So if you don't quit first(as your body memeory wish you would) The weight loss resume. This is all called " Sytem of survival". When you drop down your calories for longer than a few dasy , the body thinks you are starving it and begins to fight back. But eventually it is forced to make up the missing calories needed to maintain you alive by breaking down your fat storage and an little bit of muscle too.
So, keep doing the right thing and don't worry about your stand off.
Some people only diet rarely, and this allows their metabolism to work with them in their effort to lose weight. And even if you haven't out your body through a lot of dieting but did diet within the last year or so..your body can act up. The bottom line is each of us are very unique and part of succeeding on our diet endeavor is to understand our body and work through it. Don't worry about Dana's, and pauline and etc...
We all are going to get to goal and that's what matter most. I have no doubt that you'll be on this train to Thinville where Mike will be waiting for us at the Train station since He got there Months before us on the Express Train!! ;)

Hold on tight Angela, be kind and loving to your body, it will work with you if you work with it!

Nelly
Final Restart on Dec 18th
elle4nelly
Preferred member

Postby elle4nelly » April 6th, 2004, 1:51 pm

P.S.

And carrie is right. The heavier you are the bigger usually the initial drop and weight loss the first few week. And that's because the heavier you are the Higher your basic metabilic rate( Calories it takes for you to maintain you at present weight) thus someone who need 2700 calories a day to maintain a weight of 270lbs will lose more if put on a 500 calories diet since the deficit would be larger(2500-500 that 2000 calories less per day!!). Someone who weights only 190lbs and whose basic metabolic rate is at 2100 calories a day is not going to lose as much since the deficit is 2100-500= 1600 calories per day.

Anyway, relax and hang on tight. Like Tami said in another post...this train ride is not without bumps on the track!

:D

Nelly
Final Restart on Dec 18th
elle4nelly
Preferred member

Postby shineface » April 6th, 2004, 4:02 pm

Hi Angela --

Here's your hug---- :pet:

AMEN to Carrie and Nelly both -- a lot of good stuff posted there!!!

I started my loss at 290 --- I was down over 30 pounds before anyone even started to imagine I was losing some weight --- I'm down almost 50 pounds now and I just had someone ask me if I've lost a few pounds!!!! Not their fault --- but starting at a higher weight (not that I'd ever wish that on anyone) does change a few things as Carrie and Nelly both so eloquently stated. IN NO WAY am I diminishing the battle you are waging just because you weigh less than 200 pounds!!!!!! We all have our own private battle and our ups and downs - so remember, you are not alone when you sometimes feel bleh --- overall, this is a good program - GREAT forum and the way I think I can really lose the weight once and for all!!!

Hang in there!!!!

WE WILL do this together!!! :stroll:
Pam -"I AM the ME in MEdifast"
Start = 1/24/04 70 down 60 up
5/1/05=279.6
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. - Unknown
shineface
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Landylue » April 6th, 2004, 6:42 pm

Wow! You said, "I feel like the little engine that could right now." That is EXACTLY the kind of day I'm having today. But we are going to "I think I can, I think I can..." right over the top of the hill!

You and I both got some EXCELLENT advice from these ladies tonight. I feel soooooo much better and encouraged after reading this thread.

Don't you just love this forum and these people!

Thankyouthankyouthankyou!

(By the way, when I was at 277 lbs, I lost almost 80 lbs before someone finally, FINALLY commented on it!)

Landylue
Failure is NOT an option!
Landylue
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby pinkgeek » April 7th, 2004, 6:27 am

Carrie, Nelly, Pam *hugs to you* girlies! That's just what I needed to set my butt straight. I know that a lot of it has to do with the PCOS, really..it's a weird thing to deal with and causes all kinds of wonderful side effects. But at least I'm losing, and other than the stress weight that came off recently, I haven't been able to do that in forever. I know I have a lot to be thankful for: this group and everything you guys give me, MF, finally having some gumption to get off my patoot and do this (in that order)!

Big *huggins* to Landylue! Just remember, we ARE going to do this, we ARE doing it now! Just because we get a little bleh doesn't mean we are going to quit. You know I got into a lil tiff with the hubby last night (due to my bawly squawliness and crankiness since I have been on this diet) and he says, as miserable as you are, I would almost say quit, but eating isn't gonna make you feel better. He's right! It's not. I know there is something else going on. Landylue, we are just gonna be tortoises for awhile, but remember, slow and steady wins the race and we'll be at the finish line with Mike, Jeanette, and the other bunnies. It might just take us a lil longer. Also, you said you were at 277, did I read that right? Sweetie, you have already lost nearly 100 lbs! That's awesome!!!

Okay, so I'm trying to feel better today in the midst of all the poo poo. Landylue, let's pick our chins up off the floor and chug on! Thanks again for all the nudges in the right direction!
~Angela

Start date: 3/21/04
195.5/159.5/115
After a week off: Restart 6/7/04
164/154.4/115
pinkgeek
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby Landylue » April 7th, 2004, 7:30 am

Yep, 277 was the most I've ever weighed in my entire life. It has been a long, frustrating row to hoe in getting down to the weight I'm currently at. I can't--won't--stop before I get to goal.

I like the way Erma Bombeck said it, though, when she wrote that in her life she had gained and lost so much weight, that by all accounts she should be hanging from a charm bracelet.

Landylue
Failure is NOT an option!
Landylue
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Return to The Weight Room