How did I get here?!

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

How did I get here?!

Postby 2Kids4Me » September 16th, 2004, 12:54 pm

I did medifast about 10 years ago and loved it. Back then you had to go into the clinic every month to get your product, get weighed, have measurements taken, and have your blood checked via a finger stick. Boy was I happy to see that I don't have to go through all that again!!
Anyhow, I managed my weight for about six years with no or minimal regression and then I decided to have kids. Two of them to be exact. And somehow the pounds kept sneaking on :x . They said I'd lose weight when I was nursing....what a lie! Maybe that works for some people but now I was older, less active and the pregnancy pounds have stayed with me for 4 yrs now!! :shock: I needed help.
This time I have 70-80 lbs to get rid of so I looked into a gastric by-pass but that sounded really drastic and I'm not a fan of being in pain. I looked in my local phone book for a medifast clinic like I had been to before and didn't see any. I was very disappointed. I was messing around on line and looked up medifast and that's how I got here!! Becky
I placed my order and can't wait to get my first shipment.....! I'll be checking in ;)
2Kids4Me

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » September 16th, 2004, 1:15 pm

Welcome 2Kids4Me! :wave:

Yes, I stumbled upon this forum too as I googled "Medifast" after I saw a tv commercial. We've got about the same amount of weight to lose. I'm about half way there. Good to hear you were able to maintain after losing on Medifast the first time - there's hope for the future. Happy you found this - it's a great place to visit every day!

A MF Pal,
Camille
Jun 1, 2004 Start Date 5' 6" 195 lbs
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
Hello Victoria's Secret! I did it! July 2005 still 125 lbs!
hawaiiwhatnot
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Jeanette » September 16th, 2004, 1:15 pm

Welcome Becky! This is a great place for inspiration and encouragement!
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Nancy » September 16th, 2004, 2:03 pm

Hi, Becky ~

Welcome. I really enjoyed chatting with you today. We know that you will find success here and you, too will be wearing leather pants one of these days!

Shake it up! :cheers:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby explorthis » September 16th, 2004, 2:27 pm

Hey Becky!!

As the others said, I also stumbled (Googled as Camille did) onto the site about a year ago (next month).

Medifast is wonderful, it worked for you, and will work again.

I BELIEVE!

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby DutchChoc » September 17th, 2004, 5:30 am

Welcome, 2Kids4Me. I can thank a co-worker for showing me internet stuff on this product -- she's working in the Green Zone in Baghdad now, bless her heart! The forum was a google find, too. In the past, I felt ambivalent about message boards, but I feel that I've found some compassionate people here and that makes all the difference to my interest in "belonging".

Hawaii, I thought you were getting to around 20 pounds of goal, much more than halfway?? You're apparently thinking of going below 120 now? I kind of have a hankering to go farther than I started thinking I would -- perhaps that's the way it always is, i.e. SURELY I couldn't accept that I'd succeeded finally, but, instead, would have to push my goal farther away. I guess I hope that in the end, I have a sense of having clinched the prize instead of not quite getting "there".
Ending weight MF 10/2004: 126
Starting weight 12/1/08: 168 :-(
Loss December: -7/-0
DutchChoc
Preferred member

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » September 17th, 2004, 11:14 am

Hey Dutch,

Well, I'm not sure when I'll stop. I'm just dealing in concepts now and not numbers. I'm definitely going to get down to 130 but 125 would be optimum for maintaining considering Nancy's strategy of as soon as she sees 5 extra pounds, she takes them off.

I'm trying not to be obsessive compulsive about my numbers, and realistic about my reflection in the mirror. Being a perfectionist doesn't help either. You sound like you're having some of the same struggles.

I don't know what the number will be when I reach my goal. I'll just know when I get there because I will feel good and feel like I look good. I'm just doing it day by day doing what the plan recommends, and maintaining positive through hope from you, all the others here, and faith.

Minute by minute (Dobie Bros song comes to mind),
Camille
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
hawaiiwhatnot

Postby Nancy » September 17th, 2004, 10:39 pm

Knowing the final "landing weight" is so hard to determine!

It does indeed take a while to get to the point of realizing that Medifast works for you!

Initially, we think, "well...it worked for him or it worked for her but will it really work for ME?"

Then we realize it DOES work, it IS working and it CONTINUES to work. For some of us who have been obese or morbidly obese and so out of control with food, we DO become O-C with how we look, with how thin we can get. It's so totally new that we don't know how or when to stop.

I stopped when I felt good, when I was satisfied with how I looked and when my doc said I could stand to gain a few pounds! She suggested 150 - 155 for me. Age is a factor - I :x :x HATE that!

Yes, I WOULD love to have less hippage but I say enough. I am not gonna look like Cheryl Tiegs. Ever. Those of you who have met me in the skin know that I do not have a perfect bod. Never did when I was young and I don't have a perfect bod now either. I am satisfied and I am SO happy and proud of my accomplishment.
;)
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Welcome, Becky

Postby bear45 » September 18th, 2004, 5:19 pm

Good for YOU!!! I, too, looked into the bariatric options for surgery...I had an EPIPHANY!! Very simply, those surgery folks lose their weight after the "knife" because they CAN NOT eat!! So, I said to myself "Self...maybe you could go on some kind of liquid diet WITHOUT getting cut on!!" And here I am...making light of a VERY SERIOUS thing, but I have HOPE for the first time in a VERY long time...I have lost 38 pounds and even though I have LOTS more to go, I do feel like a new woman already. I was off my blood pressure meds after dropping the first 20 pounds I think it was. And I am NOT prediabetic now...miracles keep happening...I just had to get to that place where I realized that I was the ONLY one who could really do something about this...and the way was given...that is MEDIFAST and this wonderful group of people. So, welcome...be well and happy...Lisa
bear45
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby DutchChoc » September 18th, 2004, 7:12 pm

Well, Bear, it's working and we have not gained a scar from whatever they would do. I assume there'd be one, but who knows. I often wonder what the struggle must feel like for a compulsive/binge eater who has the surgery and then can't use his/her normal coping behavior. It has to be rough for many and miserable for some. Here, we are left with all our digestive "faculties" and have to figure it out how to control our forks -- which is a good thing to figure out, though it's taking me a lifetime!!

Nancy, either you just photograph well, or you look like a million bucks. You obviously did a lot more than the doctor wanted to prescribe for you and my personal opinion is that you chose a great look for yourself. All the better than you're happy and at peace with it.

One thing I hope I don't do is stop when I feel I've had enough of doing this and for that reason alone. I'm going to worry about that until I get there, wherever there is or where it becomes. As I've said at least one place before, I do enjoy having some objectivity about how I look and what appears to be the detachment to make the DECISION to keep going forward in order to rectify a figure fault or two. All the other times, i.e. when I was "eating", I couldn't really figure out what to do to get the flabbage off -- or else I didn't want to do it or to do it passionately enough or long enough. This time, I really feel like I can control my impulses long enough to be satisfied with the merchandise, knock on wood. Camille, you seem to feel the same way. It should continue to benefit us to have the degree of patience we have at this point.
DutchChoc
Preferred member

Hi, Becky

Postby Kornpop » September 21st, 2004, 8:05 pm

I just wanted to tell you that I did Medifast 10 years ago, also. It was also through a clinic and my program was just as you described. I loved MF and took off all my weight. (I still remember when my daughter, 7 yrs old at the time, said, "Mom, I can get my arms around you now!") The day I finished maintenance we moved to a new state and I had no support system. I tried to locate a medifast clinic, but no luck. I was able to keep my weight off for about a year, and then I've been up and down ever since. Right now I have about 60 pounds to lose. I've been on MF one week now and have lost about 8.5 pounds. The support in this forum is absolutely wonderful--wish I could have found it 10 years ago. Anyway, Welcome--keep posting, it really helps and keeps all of us accountable. :-P
Sandy
restart--12/30/05
5'2"
207.5---125
Kornpop
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby DutchChoc » September 21st, 2004, 8:26 pm

Welcome, Kornpop!! This should feel like old home week for you to some extent, finding the support you needed those years ago. I've never seen a nicer forum than this one -- small enough one can get one's arms around it and get to know people and help one another, etc. It's everything you could ask for, so stick around!! You're doing great.
DutchChoc
Preferred member

Postby Kornpop » September 21st, 2004, 8:47 pm

Thanks, Dutch--

In the past week since I've been reading all the posts, I've noticed there is a core group of Medifasters that post frequently and are so helpful--funny and clever, too! Funny how you get to know these people and feel they are personal acquaintances just through their writings.

Keep Shakin'
Sandy
restart--12/30/05
5'2"
207.5---125
Kornpop
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby explorthis » September 21st, 2004, 8:56 pm

and clever, too

Ah, I knew I was being talked about!!!

Welcome Sandy!!

-Mike, the clever one.

Am I asking for it now?
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » September 21st, 2004, 9:16 pm

Yes, Mike is our resident Wise Guy.

HAHAHAHAHAHA
Camille
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
hawaiiwhatnot

Next

Return to Come on in.