Hot Chocolate

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Hot Chocolate

Postby kmr » October 4th, 2006, 10:31 am

I was so excited to try the hot chocolate today. I only ordered a sample packet to see if I liked it first. It smelled good when I poured it in the mug, but when I added the cold water and started mixing, these big icky clumps kept forming. I kept mixing and mixing , but the clumps just stayed there. Then I figured I would nuke it then try to stir it again. When I took it out of the micro all the icky clumps had formed into one big hard clump. :scratch: I followed the directions. I had to throw it out. Has this happened to anyone else or did I just get a "defective " package? Also...has anyone tried the new Splenda flavor packets? They have them in mocha, french vanilla, and toasted hazelnut. I use Splenda packets in my coffee anyway so I figured I would try the flavored ones. "0" everything, just like regular Splenda.
kmr
Preferred member

Postby suzyq » October 4th, 2006, 10:48 am

I love the hot cocoa - I mix it in the blender to make it a little frothy and very smooth. It is great with DaVinci Toasted Marshmallow syrup!
"Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."

restart 6/5/08
suzyq
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby VictoriousNat » October 4th, 2006, 11:45 am

Mine was lumpy until I:

-poured water into shaker cup
-poured syrup or whatever doctoring potion
-add hot cocoa mix
-shake shake shake shake then shake some more
pour contents into a bowl or deep mug and microwave in 2 or 3 - 45 second blasts
-drink and enjoy
Last edited by VictoriousNat on October 4th, 2006, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nat
Start 8/24/06
Lost 34lbs and over 30 Inches. Regained 9lbs. Down 4lbs on vacation in Jamaica - yeehaw!
Waiting for Doctor's clearance to restart MF.
VictoriousNat
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby kmr » October 4th, 2006, 12:21 pm

Thanks Nat! I guess I'll be shakin even more! :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :
kmr
Preferred member

Postby hulagirlfromhawaii » October 4th, 2006, 1:15 pm

Hey kmr! I use hot water to mix. I micro the water first and then stir in the packet. I also add a little less water. I like mine sweet. :mrgreen:
Kanani

165/146.5/125
hulagirlfromhawaii
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby GucciGoo » October 4th, 2006, 1:17 pm

I would put it in the blender first. I even do this with my cream of chicken soup, or I also get lumps.
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby TheShadow » October 4th, 2006, 2:06 pm

On the lumpier products, I make a paste with just a little water and the powder. Then when all the dry stuff is mixed into a sort of gooey paste, i add a little water and mix it in, and then add the rest of the water and mix it in. Works with cream soups, cocoa, pudding, anything clumpy that I can't shake. NOTE: DO NOT shake hot drinks in a container, it will explode and make a huge mess.
TheShadow
TheShadow

Postby VictoriousNat » October 4th, 2006, 2:36 pm

TheShadow wrote: NOTE: DO NOT shake hot drinks in a container, it will explode and make a huge mess.

Yes I learned that when I decided to sterilize my shaker with hot water. Thought I'd shake it around and then...BOOOM! Thank goodness I didn't get scalded.
Nat
Start 8/24/06
Lost 34lbs and over 30 Inches. Regained 9lbs. Down 4lbs on vacation in Jamaica - yeehaw!
Waiting for Doctor's clearance to restart MF.
VictoriousNat

Postby Jen » October 4th, 2006, 3:32 pm

TheShadow wrote:On the lumpier products, I make a paste with just a little water and the powder. Then when all the dry stuff is mixed into a sort of gooey paste, ... add the rest of the water and mix it in.

This is exactly how I make the hot cocoa, it comes out perfectly every time now.
Start date: 6/22/06 : 36 : 5'7" : 262/190/140
Jen
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby JKSRN » October 4th, 2006, 3:46 pm

I prefer the Cocoa, cold, shaken in the shaker. Much better than the chocolate powder shakes.

As for the flavored Splenda, tried the Hazelnut flavor, and hummed the rest of the box in the trash. May try the Mocha next, may not! :)
Joan
JKSRN
Preferred member

Postby kmr » October 4th, 2006, 4:44 pm

JKSRN,
Just tried the mocha tonight. Wasn't thrilled with it. Tried it....didn't like it....won't be buying it again. It was a good concept though if it tasted better.
kmr
Preferred member

Postby Arklahoma » October 4th, 2006, 7:02 pm

The hot cocoa is one of my favorite items and I drink it all the time. I mix it with water and use a whisk. Nuke and then whisk again ... no lumps. Maybe you have a bad pkg???

I tried all the splenda flavors and am not fond. Also, btw, splenda does have carbs ~ 1 carb for every pkg. There's another thread called "splenda has carbs" that you may want to search for.
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby kmr » October 5th, 2006, 3:35 am

Thanks for the info Ark! They really shouldn't list everything as "0" if it does have carbs. I guess if you use enough of anything (except for meat) it will have carbs. I don't stress over something that miniscule after seeing how many carbs are in M.F. products, low fat cottage cheese, boca burgers, vegetables, low fat salad fressings, S.F. jello, ect. If my two pkts. a day in my coffee and maybe two pkts. in an "oatmeal cookie" I make, keeps me happy and on plan then I'm not worried about it. I think it all has to do with moderation and balancing. That's still less than the "up to 10 pkts. of Splenda a day" allowance. Thanks again though. :D
kmr
Preferred member

Postby Mike » October 8th, 2006, 9:04 pm

Okay, I have cocoa every night. I bought this nice little gadget. Its a battery operated mini stirrer. Just microwave your water for 60-80 seconds, put the packet in the mug, stir with the stirrer and voila... nice mug o' cocoa.
I would never add the cocoa before nuking... just icky.
Always heat the water first, then blend it. :mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Return to Come on in.