Help!

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Help!

Postby star85 » January 6th, 2004, 9:26 am

Hey Everyone,
As I mentioned in previous posts, the 1st 3 days oddly enough were the easiest for me. I don't know whether it was because I was siked about starting something new, or it was I had an easier schedule throughout the day during winter recess, maybe it has to do with my hormone levels depending on what part of my cycle I'm going through during the month, or it could be after 5 days on the plan I was finally starting to miss food. I really don't know. Who knows? Anyway this is what happened. I started to get really hungry yesterday evening. I tried waiting for it to pass, I tried everything I've read or learned to do when a craving comes on. Nothing worked! I decided I would do the modified plan last night, thinking having some real food would make the craving go away ( I 've been doing the full fast with the shakes and food supplements so far). Well after I had 3oz. of grilled chicken, it didn't help. I wanted more real food. Then I cheated!!!!! I had what I really wanted. A crunchy peanutbutter sandwich on a potato roll! I gave in to temptation. It is hard for me to admit this. I was doing so well I don't know what came over me. Usually when I would cheat at a diet plan in the past I would consider that a total failure and just go off the plan completeley and return to my previous eating habits, which I almost considered doing last night. I then thought about all the support I've been getting from everyone here at the forum and thinking about how good I felt before I gained all this weight, and about how my husband would love for me to have the figure I used to.... I decided to come clean this morning admit what I did to everyone here, start right back on the program this morning, and hope evryone here will continue to give me the support I need. As I think about it some more I think I became overwhlmed with the thought of being on such a restrictive diet for so long ( I have 85lbs

. to lose). I then thought of MIKE and how well he has done losing sooo much weight 93lbs. and still counting , and that inspired me to keep going and not give up. I'm also going to take MIKE'S suggestion of just doing the shakes for a while , so I won't be tempted to keep eating real food like I did last night. So if your out there MIKE I could really use one of your great posts right about now. I will be updating my new start date and start weight. Thanks everyone for listening!

Start 1/6/04
224lbs. / 140lbs. Kelyn
star85
Trusted Member - #20 Club

Re: Help!

Postby explorthis » January 6th, 2004, 10:20 am

star85 wrote:As I mentioned in previous posts, the 1st 3 days oddly enough were the easiest for me.

I wanted more real food. Then I cheated!!!!! I had what I really wanted. I gave in to temptation. It is hard for me to admit this.

I'm also going to take MIKE'S suggestion of just doing the shakes for a while

So if your out there MIKE I could really use one of your great posts right about now.

Keyln. I am here!

First of all - remember this is a lifestyle change, and it CANNOT happen overnight. Take yesterday and put it in the past. Look for today as the beginning of a new life and new YOU (Keyln) Lets not talk about cheating again. This is not going to happen. If it does, then we forget and begin again.

I have found MANY times in the beginning that I to craved the "bad stuff" I have a few good time consuming hobbies that keep me busy. The theory is a craving is gone in 7 minutes, if you can take your mind off of it. In the beginning stages like you are in, I would grab my wife, or force one of my kids out of the house (completely out of the house) and go for a 15 min walk. Not a excercize walk, but a temptation walk to get me away. Soon as I would get back, the craving would be gone. Other times I would just go indulge in one of my hobbies (favorite is wood working - which takes up a great amount of concentration) and draw away the craving until I thought about it no more. It works, I promise.

These cravings will be persistent for awhile. Remember, you did not become overweight overnight, and you cannot become thin overnight. This will take awhile, but I PROMISE you this - if you stick with it, you will be where you want to be in a very short amount of time. The weight loss time line, is a SHORT stint in your life.

You mentioned your hubby, "husband would love for me to have the figure I used to" well grab his SUPPORTIVE arm and DRAG him outside for a 15 minute break.... If not, call me, I will come walk with you online!

Finally, as for the suggestion of the shake only/full fast - this is not or everyone. I had decided that I wanted the weight off as fast as possible, thus if I could just resist the temptation of a "modified" meal, I would be able to resist the additional temptation of something else...

The cravings will subside, they will virtually go away. You will become so accustomed to "not eating" it will become second nature, additionally when you and your SUPPORTIVE hubby see the # falling off, you will NOT want to eat....

You can do it I promise......

Keep us posted!!

-Mike
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club

It's a mental thing

Postby Maggie » January 6th, 2004, 10:35 am

Good morning Kelyn,
Guess what?? You are human after all.

There is a favorite saying of mine that I would like to repeat for you here now. I clipped it from the newspaper as a Gem of the day. It speaks volumns. "Everything you are and everything you do begins in the mind. When you lose control of your mind, you lose control of your life." It is a mental thing. You have to keep reminding yourself of the reason you decided to do this in the first place. It has been 6 days. Have any of those reasons disappeared? Is good health worth the price you are paying? As a person who has 200+ lbs. to lose, I can tell you it only gets worse if you don't get control of your weight now. You can't let yourself think of the total weight you have to lose. You need to set mini goals. Make up your mind to lose 10 lbs. or stay on the DIEt one month. When that goal is reached or that time has passed., re-evaluate the situation. If you are pleased with the results then reset your goals and your priorities. Keep repeating this routine until you reach your final gaol. I have to remind myself every day that the goal is worth the price. I am trading a day of my life for it. When this day is over, it is gone forever. If I don't stay on track, it is just one day longer that I will be miserable. I have been overweight for many years. I've been on every diet there is. But I never committed myself any farther that the duration the diet. When it was over, I could go back to eating like I always did. I realize that if I want to enjoy the rest of my life, it is imperative that I lose this weight and regain control of my life.

Since this is your first week, you probably didn't hurt your self that much. But you need to keep focused. I think it was on about the sixth day that I , too, felt like whats the use. It wasn't fair for everyone else to eat all that good food and here I sit with this shake. That is when I decided to switch to the modified plan. A meat and a green vegetable. When I have been tempted to eat more "normal " food, I just eat more salad or more green beans or more broccoli. I eat raw cauliflower. It helps. I also look forward to my supplement bar every evening. If you haven't tried them yet, I encourage you to do so.

I applaud Mike for his determination. He has lost a lot of weight. Men don't have the obstacles that we women have. Most men (and I'm sure Mike will correct me if I am wrong) don't have to deal with meal planning and food preparation for the rest of the family., or clearing the table after the meal is over. They can dis-associate themsleves from the temptations (and I'm not saying that men don't have their temptations) but we women also have these hormones working against us too.

Like you, I'm anxious to hear what Mike will have to say. I don't know if I have helped you or not but I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. We are all here for you. Hang in there. Medifast will become a habit for you, I promise. Maggie
Maggie
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Re: It's a mental thing

Postby explorthis » January 6th, 2004, 11:57 am

Maggie wrote:"Everything you are and everything you do begins in the mind

Men don't have the obstacles that we women have. Most men (and I'm sure Mike will correct me if I am wrong) don't have to deal with meal planning and food preparation for the rest of the family., or clearing the table after the meal is over. They can dis-associate themsleves from the temptations (and I'm not saying that men don't have their temptations) but we women also have these hormones working against us too.

Like you, I'm anxious to hear what Mike will have to say

Ok, Maggie, here it comes, thats it, here is my response, dammit, here it comes... (are you laughing yet?)

Your 100% correct. we do not have the same temptations you do (thank God). I think I am slightly out of the norm, I do ALL of the grocery shopping, and actually prepare many of the meals, as I enjoy it. I am a buyer for a living, so I am very anal about the shopping and coupons etc.

However the Woman vs. Men part is toooo true. If I were born a female, the Mike name would have never gone any farther (no kids) so I was blessed with 2 girls to make up for my thoughts!!! (great girls by the way)

I do believe everything begins in the mind. My Dad's saying was (an I remember it everyday) "You create your own circumstances" and I fully agree with this.

Maggie, thanks for the great post..... I too need motivation, and I look forward to it here!!

-Mike

P.S. speaking of hormones, you know what you do when your hormones? You tip her well!!! (save the boo's for later)
explorthis

Hey Mike

Postby Maggie » January 6th, 2004, 12:33 pm

Hey Mike.
In my next life, I'm going to come looking for you. Your wife is a very lucky woman. What I wouldn't give for someone to just do the grocery shopping. I agree that removing the modified meal and going full fast would help. I'm working on that. :lol: Maggie
Maggie

Don't worry

Postby deedle » January 6th, 2004, 7:08 pm

Hi Kelyn - Don't worry - we're here! If youre at all like me, youre probably reading these aftermath posts and feeling a bit blue. Don't worry - we're not perfect - otherwise we'd be on the cover of cosmo and not in these support rooms right...

WRONG! God made us who we are, and for a good reason....we are who we are supposed to be, and are intended for His work. OK, so you cheated...Let's make a plan for the next time you want to cheat. Ideally we all wouldn't have the desire for the munchies...I think about that at 7pm every night on my first week...

Fill your house with freebies that won't hurt terribly and munch away until your cravings go away!

I found some great tricks, cause I'm a peanutbutter girl myself! I know we all would like to be like Mike with the will power...but sometimes for us gals, hormones get the best of us.

Last night I was FAMISHED - so I let into a baggie full of puffed corn cereal. You know the kind, the cheapie stuff at the bottom shelf of the cereals...the stuff you'd buy only to torture the smallest of children when screaming (just kidding) well the stuff is awful - but crunchy....and only 60 calories for about 2 cups. So I munched my way through God only knows how much. Reaking of ooped corn I crawled to bed, STUFFED....and thanked God for the strength to keep away from peanutbutter. You see, I may not have stayed on it totally for the day, but I did something DIFFERENT than my normal habits, and that made all the difference. Now of course I don't thing the corn puff idea is a good daily compromise, but it was better than what I WANTED to eat...each day is new, and we need to face it as such!

Find stuff thats freebie like celery or bullion, even better, freese crystal lite and make ice chips from it...it will keep your mouth busy. And remember one thing. Those of us who just started are NEW to this, it may take a little while to get used to it.

BUT HEY!!! I realized one thing....I looked around this posting board....Other than the 20 of us posting...there are no people that are "back" for a second time around...all the folks here are successfully tacling their weight - and in record time!!!! The Dr's all say .5 lbs a week is :"normal"....normal for this group seems to be....phenomenal...and we newbies can do it too!

If you need personal support, feel free to email me off line too...anybody... <snip>no emails please - Mr. Snippy</snip>. I might be new, but the the power the Lord has given me can be fulfilling to us all! I have prayed fervently for a release from my weight...and I found this plan, and all of you.......thanks for your continual support!
deedle

Did you have to mention......

Postby Maggie » January 6th, 2004, 8:47 pm

Hi Deedle..........Did you really have to mention the PEANUT BUTTER. My one real weakness. Now I am going to just have to go to bed early so that I can stop thinking about it. Have you tried the Peanut Butter supplement bar. It's not like the real thing but I haven't missed the REAL peanut butter, until just now reading your post.
And I believe, if I were going to 'cheat' anyway, I would have chosen the peanut butter over the corn crunch. Peanut butter has some protein, fat, and less carbs. It would be less likely to throw you out of ketosis . Try to drink your supplements on time or even have an extra supplement, so the munchies don't take control of your mind. Maggie
Maggie

Thank you

Postby star85 » January 7th, 2004, 8:07 am

Maggie, Mike & Deedle,
Thank you all so much for all the words of encouragement and great advice! Thank you also for responding so quickly when I really needed you guys. You really helped me get back on track. Today would have been day seven, but since I started over it's actually day 2 now. So far so good. I will refer back to these posts that you sent me everytime I feel I need some extra encouragement to keep going. I'm here for you guys too. I don't think alot of us could do this program without this particular message board with all you great people on it. Keep up the great work. Keep me posted on your progress and I'll be writing to you soon!!!

Kelyn
star85
Trusted Member - #20 Club

Return to Weight Loss