Help!!! I have fleas

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Help!!! I have fleas

Postby Allie » September 6th, 2006, 8:47 am

Ok, so the headline was to get you in here to read this because I really do need help.

I have an indoor cat that ventures out onto my poarch. she never goes any farther than that, and until 2 or 3 months ago, she had never even seen another cat. There is a stray that has been coming around, and now my cat has FLEAS. YUCK!!!!! I put some advantage on her, and put the powder on the carpet that kills eggs, but the fleas came back. I did the same thing a second time, and even caught the stray and put some advantage on him, but this morning I spotted some more fleas on my cat. What can I do. I seem to be a pretty tasty dinner for the fleas too, and don't want my cat to be uncomfortable either.

Allie
If you always do what you have always done, you will always be where you have always been.
Allie
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby JeepGirl » September 6th, 2006, 11:30 am

Ack we have some inside dogs and get them once a yr. We have an all wood house but cant get them rid of them still without Bombing the house. I cant rememver which one we use but it is safe for kids/animals and it works wonders.

Oh and dont wear white...they are attracted to it!
JeepGirl
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby kendra_m » September 6th, 2006, 1:29 pm

My cats love to bring the little fellers home too and I'm sorry to say that bombing seems to be the only way to get them out once they've laid eggs in the carpet. I've had good luck with the store bought ones tho, as opposed to an exterminator, which would be more expensive.

good luck!

:hatch: Finding the new me!!
--------------
10# - 9/11/06
20# - 9/24/06
30# - 11/5/06
40# - 11/19/06
kendra_m
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby DogMa » September 6th, 2006, 6:41 pm

When I lived in Orange County, I used Flea Busters. They were excellent, and they guarantee their work, so if the fleas come back, so do they.

I use two kinds of preventive stuff on my dogs, but at the time I had a roommate who let the flea problem get way out of hand until I insisted we call. It was well worth the expense.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Elke » September 6th, 2006, 7:13 pm

Thank God my cats are indoor cats :)
Elke
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby beeah_b » September 6th, 2006, 10:52 pm

Years ago before wonderful Advantage, Frontline etc. were invented, I moved into new apt w/my 2 indoor kittys. Well, the previous tenant left behind ticking time bomb flea eggs. My Vet sold me a product that I think was Brand Name "Vet Chem". It was a spray on floor,furniture etc. formula. Worked wonders. Don't know if it is still available what with the great preventatives on the market, but it is worth a shot asking your vet. Good luck! I still remember those days with horror. Trying to bath a cat in the shower without sliding glass doors, only a shower curtain. They were quite resistant to staying in the shower. Ouch, I was one clawed up mess. :dooh:
Going to restart Jun 2009, been gone since after surgery Oct06. Can't wait !
beeah_b
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Postby Aerie » September 7th, 2006, 3:32 am

Frontline will kill fleas and their larva and also stop eggs from hatching. You need to use it every 30 days whether your cat goes outside or not. Flea eggs can live in the carpet for up to 2 years without hatching. As your cat sheds his dander he will effectively treat your entire home, but it does take some time. Giving your cat a Capstar will accelerate the process. Whatever you do DO NOT USE ANY OVER T HE COUNTER FLEA CONTROL PRODUCTS OR A FLEA COLLAR. Get your products from your vet. I can't tell you how many cats I have treated, some that died, from the poinsonous crap in these products :x

Good luck!
Aerie
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby amanda27686 » September 7th, 2006, 9:44 am

For the carpet get some 20 Mule Team® Borax laundry soap, it comes in a green box. I had a flea problem in my old apartment and tried everything but they came back after a couple weeks. My step mom told me about this soap and it works. I never had another problem. Also we only had 1 indoor cat and lived on the second floor so I have no idea how we got such a bad problem.
amanda27686

Postby JeepGirl » September 7th, 2006, 10:29 am

Yea Doc.. when I worked at the Vet we often had pets that were sick from the stuff from Walmart and such!
JeepGirl
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby ascicles » September 7th, 2006, 12:46 pm

Use Frontline instead of Advantage. Once I started using Frontline (get the good kind, from the Vet), I haven't seen any fleas.
Start Date: 3/6/06

390/280/185

- Manly McMuscles
ascicles
Preferred Member - #110 Club
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Return to What's Shakin'