HAD TO MODIFY

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

HAD TO MODIFY

Postby Terfile » December 7th, 2003, 9:33 am

After three days of only being able to stomack 4 shakes aday by the fourth day(yesterday) I was not feeling so good mentally or physically
so I had a small salad and 1 tiny peice of chicken(I hate chicken) I actuly am a very picky eater when it comes to "real" food I'm not picky when it comes to deserts so now ya know what got me were I am today!
Anyway I didn't feel like I gave up ,I needed to do it,I think my body was breaking down from lack of calories since I found I am only liking one flavor of shake now but I am going to hang in here doing my 4 shakes and a small meal .....has anyone every tried just modifying on days you feel run down? Honestly it was easy to just fast completely my body just couldnt take it.
Another thing is I am concerdering the soup thing ,I am not sure I can do the bars cause that would go under my sweet catagory and may tend to lean more to eating them then liquids.
Mike, your a pro uncs you too....gimme some insite what do you think would be a good road to try?
Thank you all,
Terry
PS( I wish this had spell check)
Terfile

Don't feel bad about modifying

Postby Maggie » December 7th, 2003, 10:15 am

Good morning Terry,
I'm not an advisor and I don't have much experience but I understand.
I had every intention of going the full fast. I gave in on the sixth day. I needed something to chew. I had the best salad I believe I ever tasted. It consisted of only lettuce with dressing, but it was the crispest lettuce I have eaten in a long time. Chunks of it. I used a dressing which contained olive oil, which is very good for us. You can't eat only a salad and consider it a substitute for a supplement. You can eat a salad each day and still take 5 supplements or even 6 if you feel the need.
You should try some of the soups. It's not soup like Mom used to make, but it is a flavor change, which helps satisfy the taste buds. Or use the oatmeal once or twice a day.
I personally have not tried the bars but I have them ordered and intend to use it as my 5th and last supplement of the day. You are allowed to have only one bar per day in place of a shake. It is hard for me to get the fifth shake in after supper because I just don't want it. But I do it anyway. Have you tried the fast soups and the snack crackers. They are extra. They don't count as one of the 5 supplements a day but might go a long way in keeping you satisfied. You can switch from full fast to modifed fast, back and forth as your circumstance dictates. If fact it might make it easier to drink the shakes when you know you are having a modified meal for supper.

I am only in my second week. You have expressed some of the same thoughts that I had and still have. I told my husband that I was quitting. It wasn't fair for me to have to do this. He said to me "Nobody said it was going to be easy. Nothing worth doing is easy." Somehow that struck a cord with me. So keep on chugging. I'm right here with you. Maggie
Maggie
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Guest » December 7th, 2003, 4:51 pm

hey terfile,

i'm not on the full plan - im on the modified plan and i'll tell you of my experience doing medifast on the modified plan. back in the late 80's i did the medifast diet, the modified way and quickly lost all the weight i set out to lose. in fact my progress was as fast as others in the group (it was medically-supervised back then with group support meetings) who were doing the full fast. now about 15 years later i'm doing it again based upon my last experience. i'm in my first week doing modified plan and again losing very quickly with much less pain. i could imagine not having solid food to eat everyday. especially in the evening when were all used to having the biggest meal of the day. for the protein part, i use chicken, fish, shellfish, canned tuna or chicken, lean beef cut - really anything that's lean. the trick is only having that small portion of 4-5 oz. with that, i have the bagged salad with an artichoke heart, cucumber and dried herbs with a dressing that is a mix of non-fat with regular. i find non-fat dressing is really the worst, so i add a splash of my favorite regular dressing and mix them up. there can really be variety if you use your imagination and really read the fat/carb contents of what you're using.

for the shakes, i really doctor them up. with vanilla in the blender i add a tsp of cocoa (pure cocoa, not hot-chocolate mix), vanilla and coconut extracts and ice and blend to a shake. also i may make one with powedered no sugar tang with vanilla and orange extract and ice and blend. i've even used different flavors of sugar-free jello disolved in water with the shakes in a blender, and also have used a dash of sugar-free, fat-free pudding mix (not instant)... all with ice blended in the blender. you can get an amazing array of flavors by mixing and matchin these and other things with the shakes. they add nothing or minute amounts of carbs/fats to the shakes and really make then quite good.

so everyone may have a different experience, but i've been very sucessful on the modified plan as i'm doing it, and really getting creative with the shakes. i also have boullion and celery occaisionally to tide me over to the next "meal". works pretty well. and also of course the recommended amount of h2o.

hope that helps, good luck and don't give up. I will say that if you're not feeling physically well, then something isn't right. this plan usually gives a lot of energy and feel ing of well-being. psychologically is a different matter. this first week i've had bouts of crabbiness that weren't fun, but that's to be expected and it's getting better as the habit of continually eating slowly is fading. i find 9-11:30pm the hardest time for me. but that's when i used to snack the most watching tv, so that's a baddy for me.

hang in!
kel

Postby Unca_Tim » December 7th, 2003, 11:10 pm

Hi Ter,
I added a little on your other post before i got here. Check it out.

Part of your problem is only having 4 meals. You MUST have a minimum of 5 meals on the full plan. That's probably why you're having a hard time. You have to remember that Medifast has been designed and clinically proven for years, and not to vary from the plan.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with going on the Modified plan. In fact the studies that showed the 47-67 pound weight loss for female and males in that 16 week study was on a modified plan. You will still have great success on the Modified plan.

Everyone's replys here look like great alternatives for you.

Nancy's tied up right now. When she's not at the hospital with her Dad she's looking after her Mom with no internet there, but I'm sure she'll add some more ideas for you.

Keep us posted,
Unca
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Return to The Weight Room