My Habit Could Be YOUR Habit

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

My Habit Could Be YOUR Habit

Postby explorthis » August 5th, 2004, 9:54 am

I took this snip from Nancy’s Mortician post, cause it made me think of something about choices…

I met a lady in Baltimore that is a mortician
I now understand the value of eating healthy, of BEING healthy.

Something I occasionally talk about is my family…

I am the grocery shopper in the house, and always have been. (Yes – making Tim Allen grunting sounds – Mike does the grocery shopping) B/F (that’s before Medifast – as Nancy says) I shopped gleefully to my heart’s content, shopping for everything and anything I thought tasty. I go shopping on Sunday mornings after my morning coffee, and reading the paper. I am an early riser, and the grocery is virtually empty on Sunday mornings. Anywho, I would always shop, never eating breakfast. You all know the drill, you have read it before: eat first, you buy less, cause your not hungry. Shot that theory out the window, I did. Shopping for me, the wife and 2 bottomless pit kids was always fun, candy, cakes, ice cream, goodies, sugar GALORE, that was me. NEVER ever even thinking about what it was doing to me, let alone what it was doing to my kids. M-Y K-I-D-S, wow. What an idiot I was. Their habits are a direct reflection on me. M-E! That meant, or means what I do, what I eat, they follow suit. My wife is quite, quiet, I am basically the authority in the house (can you tell?) and thus the habits are generally formed based on my actions. Well, these Habits were, reiterate - WERE bad. Luckily for me, my teen has one of those mile-a-second metabolism’s, and at 13 years old, she has nary an ounce of fat on her frame (whew) The 3 year old has a “Budda” as we refer to it, but is a slender tot.

Once I began eating again, eating correctly for the first time in my life, shopping became a bit more difficult. Most of you probably have kids, and know they are finicky. Eew, gross, I am not eating that, you can’t make me. What do we do? We give in. Common, we all know we do, we give in, cause it’s easier, than to listen to nails scratching down the chalkboard. I now shop differently – smartly. Don’t get me wrong, I do not deprive them of cookies, and the occasional ice cream treat, now it’s just much more controlled.

I have discovered veggies, fruits, stir fry, chicken etc. I have forsaken red meat (mostly) sugared items etc. Get the picture here? A few noses at first turned up, and then something interesting occurred. Once they actually tried Dad’s concoctions (Yes – grunting again – Mike does most of the cooking – and cleaning) they started liking them. (Please don’t tell them they are eating healthy now – might jinx it) They really have no choice, as they sit there like deer in the headlight, going hungry till someone fixes them something to eat.

There is no more (within reason) junk in my cupboards, or fridge, so the choices, endless choices are in fact healthy ones. Dad: when are you making stir fry again? Ever see a 3 y/o asking for salad as her main course? Dad: can you peel me an orange, and make that fruit salad you make? Dad: can you put those baked noodles and special seasoning you make in my salad please? Oh, Dad: This is GOOD…. Get it?

My point is, not only are we changing OUR lives, we are in fact changing the lives of our families. What an idiot, capitol I-D-I-O-T I have been all these years. How come it took me over 40 years to realize what I did? Well, at least I am making a difference now. I look forward (not too soon though) to seeing if the changes I am making, instilling good eating habits in my kids will pay off for their families. Not to mention, the day I become a Grandpa, I should live many moons longer to actually enjoy some Grand-chillen.

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » August 6th, 2004, 11:28 am

Great post Mike,
If you ever get the chance to hear Dr. Andersen, the medical director of TSFL, you'll find that his main goal is to get America healthly again. What better way than to start with our children and they wont be in this mess that over 1/2 the population is in right now. They not only need it, they deserve it.
All the best,
Tim
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby MomJackieLee » August 7th, 2004, 6:30 pm

Great post, Mike. I too have been thinking about this topic for a while now as my 12yo son is gettin a little husky. I quit buying sweets/cookies/chips. I do buy apple slices, fruits, cereals, whole wheat bread, lean turkey, and granola bars. Whenever he gets the I'm hungry look, I make him a turkey sandwich, or baked nachos w/ lowfat cheese, apple slices, string cheese, bowl of cereal & milk...No more endless bags of high calorie no nutrition snacks for us. Now when we have a treat (usually outside the house!!!) it is really a treat and not something we eat throughout the day.

Makes you think!!!
MomJackieLee
246/222/160
MomJackieLee
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Nancy » August 15th, 2004, 9:47 pm

Mr. Mom, er...Mikey - I had NO idea that you were the chef and chief bottle washer at your house, too - you ARE an interesting man - you can be my Guido, ready for an assignment at a moment's notice and you have a major mushy heart also AND you wear FLAMES on your shirt - LW loves ya, Man!

This writing is right-on. Yes! ALL the things that we do and don't do, our kids observe. The audience IS watching and they are imitating us....

I recently spoke to some women at church about a great verse in the Bible (Ephesians 5:15) that says, "Be very careful then how you live - not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity you have for doing good." I really love this verse as it is such an excellent admonition for every one.

I want to make wise choices every day - not only for myself but for all who are watching me. I want to make wise choices for my mind, for my body and for my spirit. I am not just a cerebral person (duh, like can ya tell?), I am not merely a physical person or some ethereal being but I am a combination of the three and it is important for me to be well-balanced. I want to do good for the Lord, for my family, for YOU, my MakeMeThinner.com Forum Family, for myself and for my audience - whoever they may be!

Our children are important to us, they are watching. Be careful then how you live...and how you eat... :shock:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Return to The Weight Room