GRUBBING WITH "FRIENDS"

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

GRUBBING WITH "FRIENDS"

Postby gillian » March 26th, 2007, 12:08 pm

I have some buddies and blood rel. who are driving me crazy... Most of my pals make more money then me, and are very sweet, always wanting to take me out to fancy places. I try to explain that all I need is 7oz of chic and 2 cups of veggys... And, the answer is pretty consistantly- COMMON SKINNY!!! YOU CAN GO OFF YOUR THING FOR ONE NIGHT CAUSE WE WANT YOU TO HAVE FUN!!!! Or, they tell me they will be really mad cause they are going out of their way to take ME out... It is so dumb!!! Dinner with my biologicial father was the worst last week... I expressed my diatary needs, and he took me to Lawery's Prime Rib place, where they do not even know what chicken or turkey looks like. (He knew they do not have chicken...) But, I guess I need to consider the source... He never even mentioned loving me until I lost 60 pounds... It is just where he is... a really superficial dude.
Gillian
gillian
Preferred member

Postby Amber » March 26th, 2007, 12:54 pm

Hey gillian, some folks just don't "get it".
Be true to yourself & your goals, you'll soon be where you want to be.
Best wishes~
Amber

Goal Met November 1, 2006
#44, 23 weeks
Amber
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Mike » March 26th, 2007, 4:23 pm

It can be very frustrating, but we all applaud you for sticking in there. :bravo:
One thing, if I may ask, do you not like beef? We can have 5 oz lean beef, pork or lamb, in lieu of the 7 oz of chicken, turkey, fish or seafood.
I have found that it just takes a little asking and you will find the restaurants very accommodating.
Keep it up, you are doing great.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby bdg » March 26th, 2007, 6:24 pm

Unfortunately there are people out there who don't want us to succeed, we just need to ignore that and remember that we are doing this for ourselves and our health! This is no one's decision but our own and if need be, bring an RTD or bar and eat that in front of them and let them feel self conscious at how much they are eating while you are satisfied with your chocolate mint bar or other tasty treat!
Start date: April 8, 2006
bdg
Preferred Member - #190 Club
Preferred Member - #190 Club

Mike

Postby gillian » March 27th, 2007, 10:22 am

Mike, yes, I love BEEF!!! But, Prime rib is really not that lean... So it is ok in a pinch though? I had it, but I was kindof distressed at the situation, because, my bio dad asked what I wanted to eat, I told him, and he took me to the only place in LAS VEGAS that DOES NOT SERVE CHICKEN in any form. So, that just sucked.
I just wanna finish this. I am so sick of being medicore. I am striving to be great. And, if I can do this, it kinda feels like I could do other great things, cause this takes some effort!!!

Oh!! Thanks Brian and Amber!!
Gillian
gillian
Preferred member

Postby bikipatra » March 27th, 2007, 10:46 am

Try being grateful for having some friends. Or a father. Not all of us do. It's not your fault but I find gratitude helps me in hard times.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

wow

Postby gillian » March 27th, 2007, 11:48 am

Well, on that note, I am grateful. I am not really trying to piss and moan, I AM father heavy. I was adopted at birth and found my birth parents almost 4 years ago. My bio father is a very difficuolt man, very judgemental, and like I said before, did not even say he LIKED ME let alone LOVED me until I was at a socially acceptable weight. Sometimes I am not sure if I AM grateful for the opp to have a relentionship with him when the consensus is that I at my meatiest, was not good enough for him. So, I guess there are two sides of that coin Biki... My DAD IS AWESOME THOUGH!!! He likes me no matter what. If you want a surrogate, let me know. Ill let you borrow the good one... AND!!! If you want a friend... Ill take you for dinner!!!! Someplace where we can be compliant together. Are you a long trek from Vegas?
Gillian
gillian
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » March 27th, 2007, 12:21 pm

Gillian, sorry you're having a tough time with friends and family. OTOH, Lawry's (the LA one has always been one of my favorite restaurants) does serve fish. And shrimp cocktail. Either of those with a salad or vegetable would be perfectly fine (without the cocktail sauce - or use it sparingly).

They also have lobster tail, which would also be fine without the butter sauce. And if you want to make a point with him about sticking to your plan no matter where he takes you, that might be a good choice!!

As for the friends, tell them you ARE having fun. Spending time with them - and being thin and healthy - are much more fun than eating unhealthy junk.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby bikipatra » March 27th, 2007, 12:50 pm

I would love to come but I have begged my husband to go to Vegas with me a million times and he doesn't gamble and we don't so he doesn't see the point. He thinks I'll just shop!
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Mike » March 27th, 2007, 12:55 pm

So its all about him? ;)
I thought it was all about the wife. Have I been tricked all this time? :x
:roll:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Postby MusicalMomma » March 28th, 2007, 6:21 am

bdg wrote:... This is no one's decision but our own and if need be, bring an RTD or bar and eat that in front of them and let them feel self conscious at how much they are eating while you are satisfied with your chocolate mint bar or other tasty treat!

WOW...this is such a good point!! For some reason this really hit me. I'm sorry to go off topic here a little Gillian...cuz I feel for ya...oh boy do I! It's just I never realized that when we eat so "little" or "healthy" in front of others...some of them will feel guilty for eating so much or so unhealthy! It just never dawned on me...I used to think that they were just insensitive to my endeavors to get healthy...but perhaps, my more 'ample' friends are just feeling a little guilty for not making the healthy choice too. Good point!!! Thanks :)
MusicalMomma

Postby Mike » March 28th, 2007, 9:28 am

Not that guilting them into being healthy is a good method, but if it works, do it. ;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

Mike

Return to The Weight Room