Greetings!

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Greetings!

Postby carpe_diem » June 27th, 2009, 4:57 pm

I've been lurking around here for a bit now (since I ordered my first month of MF) and feel like it's time to introduce myself.

I have struggled with my weight pretty much since I was 10. There was a 4 year reprieve in high school, not because I had good eating habits, but because I biked about 20 miles/day (to school and back) and played sports. Once high school and the sports ended, the weight started coming back on.

My highest weight was 275, about 6 months after my first son was born in January 2001 (higher than my weight during pregnancy!!!). I actually lost weight when I was pregnant with my twins, who were born in June 2004, due to gestational diabetes. I walked out of the hospital weighing 225 and swore I would stick to the gestational diabetes diet and keep this up. Not so much. I was back up to 275 by June 2005. Since then it's been a big ping pong game of 20-25lbs lost, and then regained.

My latest effort was in October 2008. I lasted on South Beach for a couple of months and dropped 30lbs, and have since gained back a little over 20. I started Medifast on June 22 at 266lbs. My goal is to get to 160 and then see how it all looks. It's been 12 years and 3 children since I've been under 200lbs.

This week has been relatively easy, though I will admit that I've had a couple glasses of wine here and there, which I know I'll eventually need to cut out completely. The hardest thing about weight loss for me is that it is inextricably tied to my drinking. It's not that I drink all the time, but I am very social (and very thankful to have a supportive group of social friends) and I've always hid my insecurities about my size behind a glass of wine (or a shot of tequila). When I'm not drinking, I'm self-conscious. I'm also not nearly as funny. Harder than sticking to the diet is going to be breaking myself of being the fat chick in the group who's a little buzzed and full of sarcastic wit.

I'm hoping to shed the pounds, trim the drinking and keep the wit. We'll see!

Bonus about Medifast: I paid separately for it! It's not part of my family's food budget and therefore I have tremendous Catholic guilt about letting any of it go to waste. I figure if I just keep ordering on time, I'll be in good shape!

I've lost 9lbs since Monday, so I can't complain at all. I could kick myself that these 9 pounds are 9 pounds I had previously lost just last October, but I'm trying not to dwell on that.

I'm also having fun experimenting with some of the South Beach recipes my family loved and preparing them for my lean and green meal (dinner, usually, so we can all eat together). My kids were so excited to have mashed cauliflower again. They're a unique bunch! I love them and they've all stepped up to the plate. We have nightly routines/jobs and they've now all gotten into picking out one MF pouch/bar for me to eat the next day and putting it in my purse. While I don't discuss "dieting" with them, we do talk a lot about eating healthy and why. They understand that being overweight leads to consequences that aren't so much fun, like the fact that I was asked to get off a roller coaster last summer because I couldn't get the belt to reach around me (my parenting low). They are troopers and are being great!

I will say that one thing that has lead to the inches on my butt (and perhaps the new flatness) is the fact that I'm a bit of an internet forum junkie. I'm trying to break that habit as well, but first things first! I'll be seeing you around here! :)
carpe_diem
Newbie - #20 Club

Re: Greetings!

Postby Unca_Tim » June 27th, 2009, 6:07 pm

Hi Carpe and welcome to the forum,
:wave:

Sounds like you're in the right place and right state of mind to get this done and build the new habits needed to keep it off.
Start thinking ahead of making the change to eat smaller, balanced portions more often.

Don't forget your water...... :water:
Keep us posted...:)
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Return to Come on in.