GOT GOAT????

Add your favorite recipes.

GOT GOAT????

Postby THINKTHIN » March 5th, 2006, 11:22 am

Would goat be considered on plan??? I wonder if it is considered the same as lamb/veal. Anyone know????

~Tiesha
THINKTHIN
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby DogMa » March 5th, 2006, 11:49 am

I looked it up on fitday, and it seems to be quite low in fat and calories - lower than chicken breast, actually. I'd call the nurse line to be sure, but it sounds like you could have the whole 7 ounces if that's true.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby THINKTHIN » March 5th, 2006, 2:39 pm

Wow.... thank you! i'll definitely give the nurse a call... i would like to eat it all! I'm making goat curry with garlic and onions in my slow cooker right now. it is making my stomach rumble... :-) yummy! i was so so so happy to see it at the store today. I am going to check out fitday for more resources... thanks again!
THINKTHIN

Postby DogMa » March 5th, 2006, 3:38 pm

Glad to help. I've never had it before, but if it's that lean, maybe I oughta try it!!
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby THINKTHIN » March 5th, 2006, 4:46 pm

It's definitely an acquired taste! it turned out wonderful! i am going to have to experience more with my slow cooker.

i am greek, so, i love lamb, veal, goat, etc.. i miss my feta cheese! i try to incorporate the mediterranean as best as i can. i use cucumbers, purple onions, and roma tomatoes to whatever i can!

Let me know if you try it! Once i hit maintenance, i can't wait to have it with carrots, peas, and over rice! yummy!

Happy Losing!
THINKTHIN

Postby DogMa » March 5th, 2006, 4:52 pm

i'm half greek!!! i LOVE lamb and am dying for feta cheese. i'm tempted to make a spinach pie one day (my mom made it without the phyllo dough all the time) with the low-fat feta and egg substitute. i think i could manage it and stay on plan.

i have lamb every couple of weeks since it's too fatty to have all the time. and i use a lot of greek spicing and flavors with my chicken and veggies.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby THINKTHIN » March 5th, 2006, 5:23 pm

HELLO, MY FELLOW GREEK!!!!!!!!! HOW ARE YOU!!!!!! YEAH!!!!! It's hard finding other Greeks! My mom and dad are both 100% greek... so, you know how we are ALWAYS around food, the fattening foods especially! i would die for some spanakopita (sp). I think you could definitely use your recipe for it. Probably expect some water weight with the feta...just drink more water! I have some grape leaves in my fridge but they have about four carbs or so per serving... i'll have to double check that! Also, lingering on my bottom shelf is feta already marinated in the olive oil and spices... yikes... i musn't talk about that! LOL... i need to forget it's in there!

I eat lamb about two times a week. my children love it, but their dad does not. He's a picky eater, so i am used to making what i want to make. he made a really good smelling southern meal tonight. I could have gotten the mafia after him! :brickwall: LOL... Thank goodness, my goat kept me strong!

I lived in Naples, Italy for four years, and I am very accustomed to their ways of cooking/living.. I love Europe... I could go on and on and on....

I am going to have stuffed green peppers tomorrow with ground veal. i still have some fresh home-made tomato sauce from italy when i went back to visit in October. HMM>>>> Getting hungry again!

Well, it was very nice meeting you! I must put these little ones down to sleep... Since i'm addicted, i'll be on later this evening!

Take care,
~Tiesha
THINKTHIN

Postby sidrah » March 5th, 2006, 6:36 pm

ooh, Spanakopita is great. Not Greek here, but Italian and grew up in NYC, so I know what you mean about good food. I have always loved Greek food- except olives...don't know why. I rank gyros and falaffel with tzatziki right up there with eggplant parm and sausage and pepper, so you know I like it.

Anyway, I am sure you could make some sorta stuffed chicken with many of the same flavors and tastes. I know the feta might be off limits, but maybe you could fake it somehow... Personally, I'd sneak it some low fat feta and have extra water.
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » March 5th, 2006, 7:09 pm

Oooh, no more food talk! I try not to think about that stuff too much. Sigh. But yeah, I had some yummy chicken tonight with lemon and rosemary marinade. I'm holding out a little on the spinach pie, but I'm going to make some soon. It's just spinach, eggs (or egg substitute), feta and a little black pepper. But it bakes up so nicely. We used to eat it all the time when my mom didn't have time for spanakopita (or when it was Passover and we couldn't eat phyllo).

My parents were born here, but both maternal grandparents were from Greece. Salonika (aka Thessalonika).

I'm Greek AND Jewish, so I'm no stranger to mass quantities of good food. Sigh. (But I went to a Greek restaurant a few weeks ago and did pretty well. Salad, with most of the feta picked off, and some very nice lamb kebabs with extra veggies on the side.) I miss my feta and olives, though. And the rest of the family had saganaki, which nearly killed me.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby THINKTHIN » March 6th, 2006, 3:42 pm

i love stuffed chicken florentine! with the spinach and cheese... too bad for not being able to eat cheese! in time though! :-)

my dad's moms side is from thessalonika and his dad's is from athens.

my mom's side is up in the air.. she doesn't talk much about them. they have both passed over. i'll have to call and ask her. i am thinking their side is from athens. my great grandparents came here on both sides. too bad, i don't speak it! :-( yaya is definitely upset that they have never passed it on.

man...i'm getting hungry... i've already eaten my lean and green for the day...dang it!

tomorrow for sure...i'm going greek style!

sidrah, ciao, come stai??? parli italiano? i love italians...everything about them. i wish that virginia had little italian cities like new york, chicago, jersey and like others have... i just went in october to visit once again. it was great. the food is my biggest dilema... but, when i was there..i maintained my weight for four years. carbs are my favorite.

we'll all have to get together and throw a huge national party! medi-grub that is! :-)
THINKTHIN

Postby sidrah » March 7th, 2006, 5:56 pm

Ha! No, I don't speak Italian beyond curses and basic greeting stuff, but I speak Spanish and French...go figure. I only took a year of college Italian--mean old teacher!!

My mom grew up in Sicily for some time and understands it, but my Spanish gets me through enough. I once had a Latin teacher who told me I speak with a French accent, a French teacher who told me I spoke with a Spanish accent and a Spanish teacher who told me I had absolutely no accent at all and I should work on that. That was a fun semester. I didn't know what language to think in.

I am really thinking about some sort of cookbook based on MF meals from different nationalities...Look out publishing companies
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby THINKTHIN » March 8th, 2006, 2:20 pm

Wow....that is a great idea! You should do that! I wonder if it's been brought up! Hm.... talk to Nancy on that one quick quick quick! :-)

How funny about your accents! Now, i'm 100% Greek, but don't speak it... I speak Italian though! It's weird how it works out!
THINKTHIN

Return to Lean Cuisine