Gone to Okalhoma, Again!

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Gone to Okalhoma, Again!

Postby Mike » September 2nd, 2006, 2:59 pm

Just an update... my mom is doing great, but my best friends mom passed away last Wednesday and the funeral is this coming Wednesday in Oklahoma.
I am glad that my mom and I got to stay with her when we were on our trip back in June, but apparently she got worse.
I am leaving with my friend tonight to drive back and will be back next Sunday,
Please encourage Di while I am gone, and pray that I can give the encouragement to my friend that he needs.
By the way, I am not in the 60 lb club, so if someone could change that for me, I would be grateful.
60.2 lbs down.
:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Re: Gone to Okalhoma, Again!

Postby Unca_Tim » September 2nd, 2006, 3:53 pm

Mike wrote:By the way, I am not in the 60 lb club, so if someone could change that for me, I would be grateful.
60.2 lbs down.
:mrgreen:

Help....i'm confused.... :shock:
Are you, or are you not in the 60# club?

Great news about your mom, but
sorry to hear about your friends loss....
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Prancer » September 2nd, 2006, 3:55 pm

Unca I think it was a Typo, he meant NOW not NOT.

Mike have a safe trip we will be here for Di.
Prancer
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » September 2nd, 2006, 3:57 pm

Thanks Jenn,
That makes sense...:)
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Arklahoma » September 2nd, 2006, 4:25 pm

Wish I was going to Oklahoma. Sorry for your family's current set of circumstances but I hope you all have a safe trip.
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby lauradr » September 2nd, 2006, 5:12 pm

Have a safe trip Mike
I'm not where I wanna be but, thank God I'm not where I use to be!

248/174/150

t: 5'11
lauradr
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby SharonR » September 2nd, 2006, 9:33 pm

CONGRATS on the 60# club! Drive Safe, we will be praying for you.
SharonR
Preferred member

Postby supermom » September 3rd, 2006, 8:21 am

Be safe during your trip Mike! I am sorry you have had a hard time of late. We will be here for Di, and if you pass through Amarillo, give me a shout and we can have a shake or a l&g. (((((hugs)))))
supermom
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Diana » September 4th, 2006, 10:30 am

wow, the whole situation hadn't hit me until I read through this thread. Mike's leaving was such a whirlwind, I haven't had time to really think about it.

I've got a busy week this week and have taken on a few extra activities to make sure my time is full, but now that I sit here and realize it's been a mere 36 hours since he's left, the week seems long.

But a buddy's gotta do what a buddy's gotta do, and a wife's gotta encourage and support him. (We're grateful that we work for a compassionate, family oriented principal who allowed Mike to take this week off -- I teach a specialized program and as of yet we don't have a sub with the right training, so here I am.)

The friend's name is also Mike (the family calls him Howie or Hobbs to save confusion). His wife's name is Shawna. They called last night sometime after 10p.m. (PT) and had gotten to Oaklahoma just fine -- drove straight through. I know this is going to be a difficult, emotional week for everyone back there. I know there is no replacement for prayerful support, but sometimes I wish I could back it up with something more tangible.

Mike and Howie are, literally, as close as brothers. Their mothers were even pregnant together and their birthdays are exactly a month apart. Every time you look at pictures of Mike throughout his life, Howie's in there somewhere.

Howie's mom, Chris, was a strong yet compassionate and self-less woman. Above all else, she loved her family. All her wants and desires were wrapped up in what was best for them. And Chris extended this to my Mike as he grew up. In listening to Mike's stories, eventually I recognized the pattern that, particularly in his teens and early adulthood, over half the guidance and training he received that refined and shaped him came directly from Chris. Not surprising, then, that it was Chris' approval of me as a bride which seemed to carry an extra measure.

For my part, Chris is one of the in-law maternal figures with whom I have felt the closest. And the reality of Chris' death has only begun to settle on me this morning. I'm so grateful that Mike and his mom were able to visit with Chris last summer. And I'm grateful that Mike can be there to physically and emotionally support Howie in everything that needs to happen this week.

Thank you for allowing me to process my feelings here. Thanks, too, for your prayers for my dh, the Hobbs-Hadden family, and for me. Despite the fact that change is inevitable, it's not always easy. And this is one of those changes that may never get easy, but hopefully with time it will get hard less often.
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby Mike » September 6th, 2006, 12:34 pm

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. The funeral was this morning, and as difficult as it was, I am very glad that I was able to be here.
As I sat here reading my wife's post to this thread I got a little weepy. I could never have put what Chris meant to me better than she did... isn't Di just awesome... ;)
Mike (Howie) seems to be handling things as best as he can, and we will be leaving here Friday to go to Colorado, then heading home Saturday.
Thanks again for the prayers... and I will be home soon Di. :mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Return to What's Shakin'