GardenBurgers....

Add your favorite recipes.

GardenBurgers....

Postby kellymedi » July 27th, 2005, 11:26 am

Is it ok to have the soy burgers such as GardenBurgers for my lean? Thanks
kellymedi
Newbie - #10 Club

Postby Nancy » July 27th, 2005, 12:27 pm

Yes. They are acceptable - check out the labels, however.

Some have more carbs and calories than others.

Generally I recommend the Bocca Burger or Morning Star bugers.

I wouldn't suggest the black bean Garden Burger for weight loss but it is great for maintenance.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby kellymedi » July 28th, 2005, 2:14 pm

Thanks! I bought the Boca brand today. 100 calories 4g carb. :D
kellymedi
Newbie - #10 Club

Postby Nancy » July 28th, 2005, 3:12 pm

If you have never used them be careful when you put them in the nuclear box...I over-cooked ours and we had track and field events here at the MakeMeThinner Cottage... I used them for the discus...
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby kellymedi » July 29th, 2005, 9:53 am

LOL :roflmao: Thanks for the advise. I put mine in the skillet with a little PAM. I only had one with some cooked veggies. But I noticed today they are only 2.5 ounces each. So it's ok to have 2 as a meal?
kellymedi
Newbie - #10 Club

Postby Nancy » July 29th, 2005, 11:23 am

:flip: Sure! Didja try it with some mustard?

I'd stir fry some garlic and ginger then add some zucchini and broccoli with a snort of soy sauce first then push them aside and cook that veggie burger…ahhh…healthy skinny bliss...

:chef: :chef: :chef: :chef: :chef: :chef: :chef: :chef: :chef::chef: :chef: :chef:
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby betz » October 3rd, 2005, 5:47 am

I read in the Quick start guide the other day that the portion is only ONE Boca burger.

This is okay with me since the one evening I tried to eat two of them I felt they swelled to basketball size in my belly. :D

Just thought I'd let you all know.

Oh. One thing I've learned about these things is that if you fry them slowly (very low temp) and for a longer time period you end up with a burger that is a little crispy on the outside. This made it MUCH more enjoyable to me as it was a little mushy when I fried it up quickly.
betz
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby Nancy » October 3rd, 2005, 6:40 am

Betz ~

Thanks for catching that - yes, it is ONE Bocca Burger. They are very filling and for many people when they are first beginning the program, it seems like a very small portion because we are accustomed to eating huge burgers with all the trimmings. As we adjust to eating the correct portions, chew our food slowly and drink water with our meals, we find that the food actually tastes very good, that we CAN get by with smaller amounts of food and be very satisfied. The soy-based burgers are tasty and filling.

The Bocca burger can be wrapped with fresh crisp Romaine or iceberg lettuce, spread with some mustard or a small amount of salsa or barbecue sauce and a slice or two of dill pickle and eaten like a burger. Be sure to have enough salad or green vegetables with the burger wrap to make it a complete “Lean and Green” as a leaf or two of lettuce would not be quite enough vegetable for the ‘green’ portion.

Thank you for your cooking tip, Betz.
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby tumbleweed » October 4th, 2005, 6:42 pm

YUMMMMMY I love them boca burgers! I eat one nearly every day with a salad and pickles. I dont know what I would do without my boca. I wish I could find a recipe to make my own veggie burgers, any ideas out there????? :D
tumbleweed
Trusted Member - #100 Club

Postby Nancy » October 4th, 2005, 9:18 pm

I dunno how to make them from scratch but I love them, too!

I like them with wasabe mustard, a slab of red onion and a crisp Romaine lettuce leaf top and bottom and eat it burger-style.
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby betz » October 5th, 2005, 2:30 am

Hi Tumbleweed!

I'm doing a little research on making my own veggie burgers. I'll let you know when I have it figured out.

I'm thinking that I may not start actually making/eating them until I get to my goal and into maintenance (not sure I'll be able to keep the carb/protein level correct).

Actually, I'm looking into soy protein for chili, burgers, veggie-meatloaf. All the things I'd normally buy ground beef or turkey for--I hear the products out there are good! A friend told me they're much better than they were when "textured soy protein" first became available. If you want to search for soy recipes yourself, use "textured soy protein" and you'll find dozens of links for recipes and ingredients.
betz
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby tumbleweed » October 5th, 2005, 7:05 am

Thanks betz!!! Isnt it fun learning to eat healthy!!!! In my entire life I have never felt better than I do right now, it sure makes a difference losing weight and eating well!!! :D Thanks for the search info!
tumbleweed

Return to Lean Cuisine