Hi everyone

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Hi everyone

Postby carol » November 18th, 2003, 10:21 am

I'm new to the site and have been on medifast about 7 wks. I have lost 24#, but keep hitting these plateaus. What is the best way to get past them and will eliminating 1 shake a day help? Any suggestions anyone?
carol
First Post

Postby Jeanette » November 18th, 2003, 11:20 am

Welcome Carol! :)

I am only on Day 9, so I can't help you with your question, but our Health Advisors sure can!

Glad to see you around!
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Unca_Tim » November 18th, 2003, 12:05 pm

Hi Carol and welcome to the forum,

You DEFINITELY don't want to eliminate a shake. Medifast is clinically designed to work as prescribed.

The plan is already very low calorie, and eliminating a meal can cause the bod to go into a storage mode for protection.

Some reasons for a plateau can be:
1. Cutting back on meals
2. Not eating regularly - every 3 hours
3. Interactions with some Medications - Are you taking any meds?
4. Not slurping all your water - Minimum of 64oz daily
5. Not getting enough sleep
6. Women stuff - :oops:
7. Stress

Reaching a plateau is not uncommon. This can happen after a steady, continuous weight loss. The body is just sorta taking stock of it's condition. This generally only lasts a few days up to a couple weeks.

Just be assured that you're getting a healthy, balanced diet and you're not gaining weight.

Have faith in the plan. Make sure you're not experiencing any of the above and you'll soon see those pounds melting away again.

All the best,
Unca
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Ellen » November 22nd, 2003, 9:34 pm

Several people that I have spoken with have said that if they hit a plateau, they try to really push the water intake. I know that sometimes I feel like the only way I could take in more water is to lay in a steam with my mouth open.... but I have heard that pushing the water for a few days can help.

I have also heard that actually increasing your intake to include an extra shake for one or two days can help. The theory behind this is that if your body is in "starvation mode" it thinks that the food supply is cut down low enough that your metabolic rate starts to drop. In other words, your body is trying to hold on to the fat to help in the coming famine. If you add the extra shake for a day or two, your body may sense the increase in calories and interperate it as an end to the famine, bumping you out of "starvation mode" and back to your normal metabolic rate. I'm not convinced of this theory yet. The logic behind it makes some sense to me, and a shake is only 90 calories, I think if I plateau and the water push doesn't help, I'll give it a whirl.

Nice to meet you and Good Luck with the plan. I'm sure you'll fall off the end of that plateau soon and continue on down the path to a skinny you!
Ellen
Ellen
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Return to Come on in.