Dizziness when standing up

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Dizziness when standing up

Postby loriannk » July 13th, 2006, 1:45 pm

For the past few weeks everytime I get up from sitting I feel real lightheaded and I can see spots before my eyes. It feels like I could pass out sortof. (When I was pregnant & had gestational diabetes I would get like that and was told I was dehydrated and my blood pressure would drop when I would stand up and that is why I got the feeling.

So I am guessing I am dehydrated? I drink lots of water & caffine free diet sodas. I cant be dehydrated every single day for weeks can I? I know everyone is going to say go to a doctor. One I dont even have a regular doctor and two I have to pay for every visit.

Is anyone else having this happen and what did you do to make it stop.

I never have passed out and the feeling only last 5 seconds or so and it is gone and I am perfect again until I sit down again and then stand up again.

Thanks for any info.
3 kids ages 2, 8 & 9
loriannk
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » July 13th, 2006, 4:22 pm

Here's a couple posts:

http://www.makemethinner.com/forum/diet-8108.html

http://www.makemethinner.com/forum/diet-2015.html

There's also some info in the quickstart guide.

You may also want to get on the Dr. or Nurse's call if you continue to have problems. The nurse is also always available by email.

I "think" it's nurse at medifastdiet dot com.
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Nova » July 13th, 2006, 4:38 pm

I have the exact same problem, and I've had it for months. I did a little internet research, and the closest I could come with postural hypotension. Here's what WebMD has to say:

WebMD wrote:Chronic low blood pressure is almost never serious. But health problems occur when blood pressure drops suddenly and the brain is deprived of an adequate blood supply. This can lead to dizziness or lightheadedness. It most commonly occurs in someone who's rising from a prone or sitting position to a standing position. In such cases, it is known as postural hypotension, orthostatic hypotension, or neurally mediated orthostatic hypotension.

Postural hypotension is considered a failure of the autonomic nervous system — the part of the nervous system that controls involuntary vital actions, such as the heartbeat — to react appropriately to sudden changes. When you stand up, some blood pools in your lower extremities. Uncorrected, this would cause your blood pressure to fall. However, normally your body compensates by sending messages to your heart to beat faster and to your blood vessels to constrict. This offsets the drop in blood pressure. If this does not happen, or happens too slowly, postural hypotension results.

Postural hypotension can happen to anyone for a variety of reasons, such as dehydration, lack of food, prolonged standing in the heat, or being generally run down. It can also be influenced by genetic make-up, aging, medication, dietary and psychological factors, and acute triggers, such as infection and allergy.

They also say low blood sugar could be a cause, and since Medifast is a sugarless diet, that could be a cause. As to whether or not that's why you and I are dizzy when we stand up, well, I'm not a doctor. I have added a potassium supplement every day, and it seems to help a little bit, but I still get lightheaded when I stand up. I've always had this problem, but it's intensified a lot on Medifast.

It doesn't seem to have hurt me any the last few months. I have a physical scheduled for a couple weeks, and I plan to ask the doctor about the lightheadedness then, but I doubt he'll have much to add. A lot of other folks on here suggest eating fast soup or boullion
244/171

Would you rather eat what you want, or wear what you want?
Nova
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Arklahoma » July 14th, 2006, 6:39 am

Sorry, Lori, but here comes the "go see your doctor" speech. This is a serious issue that should not be glossed over. I also want to comment that MF is supposed to be a physician monitered program. I realize that most people don't but that is the way it's designed. Heck, look at the bottom of the MMT website. It says:

"Medifast low calorie diets require physician monitoring to minimize the potential for health risks."

Nova ~ Just wanted to add in here about your potassium supplementation. This should never be done outside of a doctor's recommendation. Potassium imbalances can be serious (I'm talking life-threatening). I treat these everyday at work and the complications can be catastrophic. Potassium is not like taking a multi-vitamin. The ramifications can be quite serious so talk to your doctor.

Stepping down off my soapbox, now.
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby loriannk » July 14th, 2006, 7:46 am

Thanks Ark for the advise.

I am seeing my obgyn dr for the yearly visit this wed so I will ask her to run a boatload of blood test as she tests me for a bunch anyway. Hopefully she will just say I need to drink even more water. We will see.
3 kids ages 2, 8 & 9
loriannk
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Return to Weight Loss