diabetes - asking for a friend

Questions/Comments about Diabetes Products.

diabetes - asking for a friend

Postby sheri1103 » December 31st, 2006, 7:34 pm

Hi All - I know this question belongs in a different forum, but I thought it might be seen better here. I have an 80 year old friend from my Church.
Shee has Type 1 diabetes that she has managed on her own for years and years. She is very interested in my M/F plan and wants to follow it. Her doctor has pretty much left it up to her as she is so good about checking her blood sugar. She is not overweight, but states that muscle mass controls the blood sugar. She has, perhaps, 5# at the most to lose; so I think she is looking at using this for maintenance. Does any one have any ideas or links where she could get some information? This dear woman lost her husband of 60 years earlier this year and is determined to maintain her indepedence. She is a gem and I would really appreciate any help/advice from my M/F buddies.

Thanks to one and all and a Very Happy New Year to each and every one of you!
Sheri B
"One day at a time and one pound at a time"
sheri1103
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby Mike » January 1st, 2007, 1:32 am

All I know is that the Medifast plan was intended for people 17-70, butI am sure that she could use the Diabetic supplements to help manage her diabetes as a maintenance program. :mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby bikipatra » January 1st, 2007, 4:26 am

There is also a product on the market called Glucerna which is a RTD shake formulated for diabetics that might meet her needs. They have bars and shakes. It is really good for managing diabetes too. When my father was sick for all those years it is what he "ate."
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Nancy » January 1st, 2007, 12:09 pm

Hi there, Sheri ~

What a good person you are to look after your friend. Medifast does not recommend that Type 1 diabetics use Medifast for weight loss but suggests they use it for nutritional supplementation or for healthy snacks. However, there are many doctors that do supervise their patients and give them the go-ahead to use Medifast for weight management and blood sugar control. We know of many that have successfully lost weight and have done well with glucose management.

Since her primary motivation is not for weight loss, I would suggest she give her physician some information that will help in determining the best course for your friend. I will gladly send you several PDF files that you can download and give to your friend plus I’ll send you a couple of booklets for her. I’ll drop them in the mail this week.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby sheri1103 » January 1st, 2007, 12:12 pm

Thank you Nancy!! I so appreciate your efforts. I will look forward to receiving the information. Your note "popped" in at just the right time.
I ate out last night and am really feeling guilty!
Sheri B
"One day at a time and one pound at a time"
sheri1103
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby Nancy » January 1st, 2007, 12:29 pm

Today's a new day, Sheri - many people have been challenged lately but we have a brand new day and a fresh new year ahead of us. You'll do great, I believe in you!

As soon as our postal server is open, I'll grab a mailer and get the info in the mail and on its way to your mailbox!

Shake it up!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to Diabetes