Dental Crowns & Teeth-Grinding: HELP!!!

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Dental Crowns & Teeth-Grinding: HELP!!!

Postby BerkshireGrl » December 30th, 2006, 10:59 pm

Hello everyone,

On Weds. 12/27, I had my first crown (temp for now) put on my left lower furthest back molar. There was a LOT of drilling. I went in at 4:00 and was told I'd be out around 4:45 but it was really 5:20 when I was set free from the chair of doom. (I love my dentist so far but this stunk.)

The reason I relay this story of woe is that I cracked my tooth grinding it in my sleep, despite wearing a night guard, ack! Of course after I found out that I had cracked THAT tooth, I remembered the night guard was cracked in that spot before I broke the tooth :( Of course, night guards being like $350, I was not in a big hurry to rush out and replace it. Duh, so now I'm paying about $425 for the crown! Thank God I just got dental insurance this year or it'd be $915! (EGADS!)

While I await my "real" crown, due to arrive in 3 weeks...

My first question to all you lovely happy toothed people is: Is it normal to still have a pretty good amount of pain 3 days post-appointment?

I mean, I can chew really soft foods on it if it ends up there in my mouth, but I am trying to chew only on the right side of my mouth. Even not chewing, it feels like a constant dull ache. Is this discomfort normal after getting a temp crown glued on? (I am planning on calling my dentist Tuesday but I thought I'd ask you all too, you being more unbiased than my dentist may be.)

And my other question is: has anyone had any luck with STOPPING their teeth grinding?

If so, how? Exercise? Meditation? I've even recently read that getting enough Magnesium can stop teeth-grinding! A French dentist did a study where he found 150 mg of Magnesium a day stopped it... So needless to say, I am making sure for the past couple days that my Mg uptake is solid. It might take 5 months I read to halt it, but God, that'd be awesome!

I'm getting paranoid that I will have little white bumps for teeth in 10 years! I have been grinding them for years; first had it pointed out to me by a dentist around 1995 when he said I was flattening my teeth. The problem is getting worse, my jaw aches most days, my teeth are getting tilted in towards my tongue, and obviously, there must be a heck of a ton of pressure if I cracked a molar. I am almost at my wit's end... the only time I don't do this is when I go on vacation. Maybe I just need to go sit at Thich Nhat Hahn's feet and focus on Zen. I'm honestly not exaggerating when I say I almost cry over this. It's so frustrating to have this unconscious and powerfully destructive habit! Argh!!!

Much thanks to anyone with answers!
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Postby Mike » December 31st, 2006, 12:43 am

I don't think I can help alot, but I did see a commercial the other day for a new kind of night guard. Its basically like my retainer... molded plastic, which feels more like your teeth as they fit so well into the guard. Might help as the grinding continues.;)
Can't help much on the other issues though. :cry:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Jan » December 31st, 2006, 4:31 pm

Hmmmm,
If the pain continues I'd call the dentist. I was the unhappy person who had to have 4 crowns and 4 root canals in one year..... ouch!!!! I found out I'm a jaw clencher!!! But, I didn't have any pain at all ... once the work was done.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Amber » December 31st, 2006, 6:45 pm

Hi Sarah,
I've had a lot of dental work in the past couple of years...
I know that my mouth is usually quite sensitive while the "temporary" is on. Hot & cold are quite noticable: I, too, chew on the opposite side. I am told that this should subside after the permanent crown is set. However, I have found this to not always be true. I got a new crown in October, it is still sensitive though less so than when it was first set.
If you are in real pain, call your Doc! If it's the ache that you describe give it a bit of time, if you can put up with it...
Try drinking your shakes through a straw, it helps a little.
Best wishes & think just how pretty your new smile will be :D ~
Amber

Goal Met November 1, 2006
#44, 23 weeks
Amber
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby BerkshireGrl » December 31st, 2006, 9:19 pm

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies! :yourock:

Mike, that sounds like the nightguard I have, well, my CRACKED nightguard, hehehe! Mine is hard plastic on the outside, softer inside, and was created from a custom mold of my upper teeth, cost about $350 in 2004. I am planning on calling the dentist's office Tuesday morning and arranging for a new one ASAP... and also asking about the pain I'm having. I need to have a flawless nightguard; I'm scared with my current one being cracked in 2, maybe 3, places, that I could crack more teeth to the tune of $450 a pop. Ouch!!!

Jan and Amber: Right now, I just have the temp on, so I am hoping that when the "real" crown, made of gold, gets cemented on on January 22nd, that my pain problems will be over! :) Praying... hoping... making small ivory sacrifices to the Dentin God... whatever it takes... I am not happy with my current feeling much at all :( The cracked tooth hurt less than my ground-down and temp-crowned tooth; grumble grumble! And hey it was free! :lol:

All kidding aside, it's not agonizing pain, I can deal, but I am just (whine coming on) feeling sick & tired of worrying about my dang teeth! :lol: And the cost is not all that fun either, but eh, gotta pay up unless I want to be gumming all my food for the rest of my life ;)

Then again, that might make me the MF posterchild hehehe! Mushy food forever! :twisted:
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Postby Amber » January 1st, 2007, 8:10 am

All kidding aside, it's not agonizing pain, I can deal, but I am just (whine coming on) feeling sick & tired of worrying about my dang teeth! And the cost is not all that fun either, but eh, gotta pay up unless I want to be gumming all my food for the rest of my life

Amen, Sister, I'm with you there! :pet:
Amber

Goal Met November 1, 2006
#44, 23 weeks
Amber
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Return to What's Shakin'