Dehydration?

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Dehydration?

Postby MermaidinBlack » July 4th, 2006, 9:42 am

So, I feel like I am drinking copious amounts of water. I have a big 32 oz drinking cup and I'm drinking from it pretty much all day. And I'm peeing every 5 minutes (sorry if TMI). But I feel dehydrated. My mouth feels weird and I feel thirsty. Is there a ton of diuretics in MF food? Any insight?

Thanks!
Mermaid in Black (Cat)
"He who sings, prays twice"
Started MF 6/26/06
MermaidinBlack

Postby Karli » July 4th, 2006, 9:59 am

How many of those 32 oz cups are you actually finishing during the day ?

I found that to begin with (well, I am still in the initial stages, but I was doing some pretty major prep work in the anticipation period before my packets actually arrived), I couldn't really drink enough water. And it seemed that the more I drank, the thirstier I got. But then, as I drank consistently each day, it brought my entire system up to an HNL (hee hee) with hydration. I am actually drinking at least 120 ounces a day, and I don't regret it at all because my complexion has dramatically improved as a result.

I have two 64 oz bottles that I prepare with water, and as I drink one, the other is in the fridge getting cold. Then I switch them when one is finished. I aim to finish at least 2 per day, however, it's often more. Also, I often finish the first one an hour or two before noon. That seems to set me up pretty well for the day, and then I drink water with every meal and troughout the day. I love the feeling :).

Also, jumping on a wagon that other people have talked about, your electrolyte balance may be off causing you to be thirsty and dehydrated. Eating a pickle or drinking the medifast broths are supposed to help with that as well.

I don't know much about the make-up of the food at this point, but I do know that dehydration is normal. So be prepared :).

Karli
Karli
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Arklahoma » July 4th, 2006, 10:38 am

Dehydration is a side effect of rapid weight loss and fasting. This is not directly related to MF per se, but the type of diet it is ~ lower carbs. Decreasing your carb intake increases ketone body production in the blood stream (ketosis ~ fat burning state) as your body begins burning fat for fuel instead of carbohydrates. Your body is trying to flush out the ketones, hence the diureses (water loss). It is very important to replace these fluids to keep your blood volume up and to prevent electrolyte imbalances.

BTW, the physiology behind MF is very complex and this doesn't even come close to the full explanation, but just a general overview of why your body loses a lot of water at the beginning of the diet.
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby MermaidinBlack » July 4th, 2006, 10:47 am

Gotcha on the rapid loss thing, thanks guys! I know I'm slurping down my cups of water, but I'll try doing the "exact" measuring by using my big 64 oz. drinking jug and finish that completely. Also, I generally eat 2 pickle spears a day -- do we get 2 spears, or 2 whole ones? One last thing, people have mentioned Gatorade to replace electrolytes -- is it not full of sugar/ calories/ carbs (I'm genuinely asking because I've never read the lable)? I'll have to consider ordering some of the quick soups...

Thank you all so much!

~ Cat
Mermaid in Black (Cat)
Started MF 6/26/06
MermaidinBlack

Postby Arklahoma » July 4th, 2006, 11:57 am

Cat ~ Two pickle spears, not whole ones. Also, do not use gatorade because it has tons of carbs. Best to go with the fast soups.
Arklahoma

Postby MermaidinBlack » July 6th, 2006, 12:34 pm

Got it, thanks! See, I thought Gator-goo was too full of bad stuff to drink! And I'm glad I'been eating the spears, not whole.

As an aside, I think I've caught up: I don't seem to be so dehydrated today. :whoohoo:
Mermaid in Black (Cat)
Started MF 6/26/06
MermaidinBlack

Postby DogMa » July 6th, 2006, 2:43 pm

Cat, I'd also go with more than just the 64 ounces. That's what they usually suggest for people NOT in ketosis.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa

Return to Come on in.