Dean's Maintenance-Part 2

All that hard work and now what? Let's talk about how to keep those pounds off...

Dean's Maintenance-Part 2

Postby Dean0408 » June 14th, 2005, 1:01 pm

EXERCISE

Exercise is something that is not recommended when you first go on the Medifast plan unless you have already been exercising regularly, in which case it is recommended that you cut your exercise routine in half.

I found that after about three weeks or so on Medifast, and most certainly once on maintenance, exercise can be your best friend in accelerating weight loss while on the plan and maintaining your weight after you make the transition.

What is the best exercise? I found it to be walking........brisk walking, not that slow plodding that you see a lot of people do. Brisk walking is great because it gets the largest muscles you have, the thigh muscles, moving and burning calories. It also does not have the jarring impact of running which can be tough on joints.

I have done some research on walking...........here is an interesting fact that I came across. If you walk in the early morning BEFORE BREAKFAST, you can burn up to 50% more fat than if you walk later in the day. Don't get me wrong, regular walking at any time of the day will be beneficial, but early morning walking before breakfast is the most beneficial. Sometimes I walk two times a day. Once in the morning and once in the evening. I like walking in the early morning. It is amazing to me just how many people are out early in the morning, before they get ready for work, either walking or running. Don't worry about what you look like......I have seen some really bizarre outfits at 5:30 or 6:30 in the morning. You are not in a fashion show........you are EXERCISING! I also like walking at night........the only time I don't like to walk is in mid day when the sun is beating down.

Over the years, I have invested in countless pieces of exercise equipment. You name it, I have probably had it or still have it. Beware of magic exercise equipment. As they say..........If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

The one thing I am using now is the Total Gym. You have probably seen the infomercials with Chuck Norris advertising them. Right now, this is a great piece of equipment for me. It is easy to use and works all the muscle groups. I had it for years and never really used it much in the past. I am glad I gave it a try. Just 20-30 minutes a day, four days a week is all it takes.

Muscles burn calories......plain and simple. The more you use them and the more muscle tone you have, the more calories will be burned. And where do we get the calories to burn? Two places.......from food we ingest and from fat that our body has stored. If you have reduced food intake, your body will reach into the fat stores to provide energy for the muscles you are now using. If you have a higher food intake and are at goal, working the muscles helps to burn up the calories before they are stored as fat. It will take a while on maintenance to find the proper balance.

By the way, if you begin to build some muscle, your weight may level off or actually go up (depending on where you are regarding body fat)......but the inches will continue to go down. Muscle tissue weighs a LOT more than fat........this muscle weight is HEALTHY and will not impact the way you look........in fact whether you are a man or a woman, muscle tone will IMPROVE the way you look. I saw a picture of 5 pounds of muscle next to 5 pounds of fat. The fat looked to be 3-4 times as large as the muscle.....yet both weighed 5 pounds. Fat is fluffy and lumpy......and just lays there. Muscle is sleek and shapely and actually requires energy (calories) to function. I saw another article about two women who weighed the same, one wore a size 8 and the other a size 12. Why? Because one had a much lower percentage of body fat and had more muscle......meaning the weight was more compact. When I think of the picture comparing fat to muscle........this makes a lot of sense.

Let's get back to walking. Do any of you have treadmills? Treadmills are the most boring thing to use. You are stuck in one spot and you are looking at the same room the whole time you are walking on it. Even with a TV within view, it just seems that a treadmill is not as much fun as actually being outside and seeing the sights. Of course, in some parts of the country, treadmills are your only option at times due to the weather.

Here are some things I did to make walking enjoyable.

1. I got in the car and set the trip odomoter to zero. Then I developed several routes based on distance that I could walk. I have a one mile route, a three mile route, and a five mile route. If I decide to walk two miles, I just go around the one mile route twice. I usually do the two miles in the evening. In the morning I usually do the three mile route. If I notice that I have gained an extra pound or two (following a party or going out to dinner), I pay the price and do the five mile route. Both the three and five mile routes are done in the mornings, before breakfast, when they do the most good. All the routes have some uphill and downhill portions as well as some flat parts. It takes me about 50 minutes to walk three miles. ( there is a very long steep hill on this route)

2. In the morning, before it starts to heat up, I will wear sweats. Sometimes top and bottom, sometimes shorts with a sweat shirt. It all depends on what time I am starting out. This keeps the muscles warm and prevents cramping if you are not used to walking.

3. Invest in a GOOD pair of walking shoes. Usually tennis type shoes. Don't get the cheap-o's for walking. A good comfortable pair of shoes made for walking will enable you to have a nice pleasant walk without getting aching feet. Before I started walking, my feet would be sore a lot.......now that I walk regulary, they no longer hurt at all. I guess I got everything moving and working now........the foot is quite the complicated piece of equipment we have there.

4. I forgot to mention that all walk distances begin and end at my house. I do not walk out five miles and hitch-hike home. :mrgreen:

I must admit that walking is now a normal part of my day and if I skip it for some reason, I feel guilty and feel as though something is missing.

If you are reading this and still have a long way to go to your goal. Please check with your doctor to see if walking is for you. If you are not very mobile as of yet, do not go for power walks for long distances. Ease into it. Start with short walks and build up based on how you do. If your legs are sore after the first day, the best way to get rid of the soreness is to go for another walk the next day. In a very short time, your body will get used to being used for exercise and the aches and pains will go away. If they don't, then see a doctor to find out why.

We use the word "THIN" on this forum an awful lot. I prefer to use the words "TRIM" or "IN SHAPE". I have heard someone described as "Too thin" before, haven't you? I have never heard of anyone being "too trim" or "too in shape". My point here is that the object of losing all our flab is to become not just "skinny", but trim, healthy and strong. This forum emphasizes health as our most important goal.

We have all seen people who look great in clothes, but then you see them in a bathing suit at a pool party and they are all knees and elbows. You can see their ribs and sometimes the ridges of their spine. They have no muscle tone at all. That is not attractive.

Finally, exercising of your "Core Muscles", abdominals and lower back, will benefit you greatly. By doing exercises for these muscles, you enable them to support your lower back, reduce or eliminate lower back pain, and alow you to have GREAT POSTURE. I don't care how trim you are, if you are slouched over, ya just don't look as good as you can. Good posture makes you feel better, look better, seem more confident.......and makes your clothes look better too.

I am certain that without regular exercise, my maintenance experience would not be successful or satisfying at all. Exercise enables me to eat a bit more and builds more "calorie and fat burning machines" which of course........are MUSCLES!!

All of the above is just my opinion based on my own research and experiences. Each of us must of course determine what is best for us when on maintenance. But........I am sure I am not the first person to ever recommend walking as a good thing.

Remember to drink PLENTY of water while exercising. As Nancy has taught us, water helps flush out all the fat we are burning and keeps us hydrated.

I will be happy to answer any questions and to read any comments you may have.

Here's to being slim and trim!!

Dean
Dean0408
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby LilMsTexas » June 14th, 2005, 3:17 pm

Dean.........become a health advisor 8) Seriously.......You're savvy and intelligent....no-nonsense.......reliable......truthful.......and supportive. You have ALL the makings of an EXCELLENT HEALTH ADVISOR! This post was RIGHT ON TARGET and MANY people will benefit from it. You are a true asset to this community and if we don't say it enough......you are SO appreciated!!

CHEERS to you DEAN-O!
GOD BLESSED TEXAS!
Christi AKA LilMsTexas

5'5", 36 YEARS YOUNG!
186.8/145.2/135
LilMsTexas

Postby Dean0408 » June 14th, 2005, 6:07 pm

Thanks a lot Christi for the kind words. You know of course that you have become quite the Ambassador of Support on this forum. If ever I need to be "cheered on" to overcome an obstacle, I hope you are waving the pom-poms.

Dean
Dean0408

Postby LilMsTexas » June 14th, 2005, 6:24 pm

:cheerleader: Got my pom-poms ready and waiting Dean-O!! And by the way...thank you for the compliment for my pictures......every girl likes to be told she's "gorgeous" :D

And speaking of pictures....I wanna see some dang wedding pictures!!
GOD BLESSED TEXAS!
Christi AKA LilMsTexas

5'5", 36 YEARS YOUNG!
186.8/145.2/135
LilMsTexas

Return to Maintenance