Day 3

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Day 3

Postby cdixon » May 12th, 2004, 8:15 am

Okay today is day three -- yesterday was very hard but I made it through (with the help of some boullion and jell-o). My son asked me what the boullion was -- as I was sitting there eating it with a spoon -- and I told him it was just some fake soup :lol: .

I think that when I order next time I will probably only get the shakes as I don't mind the taste of those at all but the other supplements are a little "different". :? I will use them all though cause I paid for them...

Anyway, it might be a little harder on me right now because I also quit smoking last Wednesday -- am I a glutton for punishment or what?!?

I have decided that I am only going to get on the scale once per week so that I am not constantly looking to see if I lost anything -- if I cheat on anything it will probably be this but I am going to try to have willpower.

Also. I know that being a diabetic that I am not supposed to go on the full fast but that is what I am doing. I know that if I cook some lean meat and have a salad right now -- I will go overboard --- it won't stop there. I am going to try to work it in but I might not be able to for a couple of weeks. I am taking vitamin supplements so I am not worried about not getting what I need because I am not having the meal.

Wish me more luck!
Christina
Start Date 05/10/04
250/240/Goal#1 is 200 and after I get there...
cdixon
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby Landylue » May 12th, 2004, 4:12 pm

Christina, I have a questsion. I know nothing about fasting and diabetes, but do you have your doctor's OK to do the full fast? You don't want to do anything that could ultimately harm you. You still have your beautiful son to raise. And, I'll wager he doesn't care if your a size 22 or 12.

There are lots of people out here that do the 5 and 1 and have great success with that program.

Whatever you choose to do, do it safely!

Landylue
Failure is NOT an option!
Landylue
Preferred Member - #40 Club

What? Not going to follow the proper protocol?

Postby Nancy » May 12th, 2004, 11:24 pm

Christina ~

So…bouillon is FAKE soup, eh? That's a hoot! After eating clam chowder, hearty chili or vegetable beef stew, bouillon certainly DOES seem like fake food! You actually ate it with a SPOON? You must be really trying hard to pretend that the bouillon was real live thick gourmet soup! Gosh, I was so hungry when I first started Medifasting that I just :toast: guzzled my bouillon right down and said, “Ahhhhh…is THAT all I get?”

You mentioned that you might be a glutton for punishment. Excuse moi but that word GLUTTON is not part of our vocabulary now! Hee hee! What??? You QUIT smoking and Quit FOOD, too? All within a week? Yeah, you ARE pushing the envelop a bit. It IS possible, however to do this. Keep your focus, have an extra shake or so if you are a Starvin’ Marvin. Tell your family to avoid you until the :twisted: crankies :twisted: are gone.

No prob with avoiding the scale. There is NO rule about when, where or how often to weigh. Just be consistent. Measure yourself - you will love being able to compare your “before and after” measurements and also when those weeks of slower weight losses occur, you can drag out the tape measure and :shock: shock your socks off with your great results!

Yes, you are right: it is not suggested that diabetics go on the full fast…do your kids know how to dial 9-1-1?

Since Medifast contains 24 vitamins and minerals and the essential amino acids that we need when the plan is correctly followed, it really isn’t necessary to take additional vitamins. People on the full fast need 7 shakes or meal replacements per day to maintain muscle mass, :heart: heart health and proper nutrition.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Carrie » May 13th, 2004, 5:05 am

Nancy,
I'm sort of confused right now. Am I supposed to be having 7 meals a day? I thought it was 5 or 6 and I had settled into 5 a day. I do the full fast most days and once in a while do a lean/green. Am I undereating?
Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby cdixon » May 13th, 2004, 6:47 am

Thanks everyone -- and my doctor is very aware that I am on the full fast and I am going to see her every month while I am doing the weight loss phase of the Medifast program. I have type 2 diabetes which is caused by insulin resistance. The only medication that I take is for the insulin resistance (Avandia) and does not cause low blood sugar. My doctor said that as long as I take my supplements (I actually take a diabetic pre-packaged set of vitamins every day) there shouldn't be a problem. And I am having blood tests regularly.

In any case, I plan on adding the lean & green meal when I think that I can safely handle it without eating everything in sight. One of my main problems is that once I start eating I have a problem stopping. I just sort of blank out everthing and gobble gobble. I have even had sleep walking episodes where I ended up in the kitchen scarfing down food. Pretty embarrassing to wake up at the kitchen table and realize you've just eaten everything in sight. Luckily I have not done that in over 2 years.

I quit smoking last week because I knew that I would use my cigarettes as a crutch and then I would never quit smoking because I would be scared that I would gain the weight back, etc. What is really funny is that starting the Medifast program has actually made not smoking easier. I used to always smoke a couple of cigarettes after a big meal. No big meals - not a lot of cigarrette cravings. Go figure! The cravings are still there but it is not as bad as I thought it was going to be. My body is in shock -- it doesn't know whether to crave the nicotine or all of the food that I am addicted to. Addiction is a weird thing to go through.

Anyway -- thanks for everyone's support. My three children (ages 16, 9, and 3) will be pleased to know that others are looking after me too.

Shake It UP!
Christina
Start Date 05/10/04
250/240/Goal#1 is 200 and after I get there...
cdixon
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby RavenKat » May 13th, 2004, 7:55 am

Carrie wrote:Nancy,
I'm sort of confused right now. Am I supposed to be having 7 meals a day? I thought it was 5 or 6 and I had settled into 5 a day. I do the full fast most days and once in a while do a lean/green. Am I undereating?
Carrie

Yeah - I was wondering if she made a typo or if she was referring to diabetics only. :?:

Kat
259/180/165
RavenKat
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Nancy » May 14th, 2004, 8:31 am

Hi, Kids ~

About my comment to have 5-7 Medifast meals...actually it IS 5-6 Medifast meal replacements for those folks on the Complete Plan (see page 5 of The Quick Start Booklet that comes with your first order) and we definitely emphasize the 6...the higher protein that one gets with six meal replacements is good for many people. Notice the hyphen there – some days due to heavy physical demands or a longer work day or just a long day, a person may need that 6th or even 7th meal replacement.

There can be times that a person has hunger breakthrough and an extra shake can be taken to prevent Scarfing down a bag of tater chips or a half gallon of Ben and Jerry’s…. It is always recommended to eat every three to four hours and if a person has an especially long day, it may be necessary to have that 7th item.

Since Christina is diabetic and hopefully monitoring her blood sugar, she may need to have the seventh meal. Sometimes diabetics have difficulty with their blood sugar during the night. While we recommend that people without diabetes have their shake in the afternoon – not for breakfast and not in the evening – we suggest that people with diabetes have their bar in the evening as a snack before bed. Sometimes that helps them with their blood sugars at night.

BTW, Christina, I feel a whole lot better about your situation since you are regularly seeing your doc! Whew! We didn't have a lot of info from that initial posting and I had mental pictures of this sweet insulin dependent lady going into shock and being dragged out the house by her heels and loaded up into an ambulance ...argh! Thanks!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Nancy » May 14th, 2004, 8:40 am

P.S. Carrie, you may have 6 Medifast meals when on the Complete Plan and you may have a small salad also.

If you are eating five Medifast meal replacements per day and a small salad, losing weight consistently and feeling well, then things are working great. A person's daily caloric expenditure enters into the scheme of things.

Highly active people may need that 6th meal or one can use the Medifast 70 shakes with the higher protein.
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to Come on in.