Creamy Spinach

Add your favorite recipes.

Creamy Spinach

Postby scrabbler7 » April 2nd, 2005, 5:28 pm

Hi all - I just tried a new "experiement" (as my hubby calls my concoctions) which I thought was awesome so decided to share. Last purchase, I bought 2 boxes of the creamy chicken soup - yes, yes, without ordering a sample pack. Broke my own golden rule. When I tried it, I really wasn't very fond of it. So a few days ago, I was reading a thread in here about adding spinach to one of the soups and thought I would try something different. I had nothing to lose, since I probably wasn't going to manage to eat 2 boxes of the soup by it self.

I cooked 1/2 package of frozen spinach in about 1 cup of water with some salt added. Then I made one of the soup packets with 1/2 cup of water and a chicken boullion. I let both cool until only warm. Then I combined them (keep the water in the spinach) in the blender until smooth. (Be careful it's not too warm or it will blow the top off the blender -- learned THAT one the hard way. :oops: )

This was absolutely fabulous - it was kind of like a cross between creamed spinach and a cream of spinach soup.

Since 1/2 a box of frozen chopped spinach is 40 calories - I don't think it will interfere that much. And I'll just decrease the amount of my veges at my lean and green to compensate for the extra calories here.

Give it a try and let me know what you think!
scrabbler7
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby bikipatra » April 5th, 2005, 5:43 pm

I got a new shipment today which included some cream of chix soup so I tried this~! I just heated up the frozen spinach in the microwave with a little water, them emptied my packet over it. Then I added a little hot water and stirred. Added a dash and a half of Tabasco. It was so so good! Very tasty. My hubby is a vegan but he smelled it and said I was eating better than he is! :lol: Oh, I am on Diabetic 5-1 so the spinach wasn't even cheating :)
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Marseilles » April 6th, 2005, 5:40 am

I generally buy frsh express baby spinach and chop a half cup or so into all the medisoups that I eat. It is a GREAT way to get extra potassium as well, for those who suffer from leg cramps.

-M.
Marseilles
Preferred member

Postby raederle » April 6th, 2005, 6:04 am

I'm such a dope-- I always buy that baby spinach in a bag, and have never thought of dumping some leaves into my soups! Thanks for posting that tip!
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Nancy » April 11th, 2005, 12:18 pm

This sounds excellent!

I like a snort of nutmeg with my spinach and now I must try your new recipe. Of all the soups and products, the Creamy Chicken is my least favorite (oh, and the Swiss Mocha - arghy! I can't kiss Terry after he's had a Swiss Mocha shake until after he washes his moustache!)

The Minestrone soup is good with spinach, broccoli, tomato and green beans – just empty the fridge into the pot! Note: I am on maintenance. For best weight loss do not add much more than a tad bit of veggies to the soup or you will totally upend the balance of the protein:carb:fat ratio...

:flip:
Last edited by Nancy on October 4th, 2005, 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby bikipatra » April 11th, 2005, 2:01 pm

I had the creamy spinach again for lunch today. I will have to try stuff chopped up in my minestrone. I really like the minestrone as is except for I add a little chopped tomato, beef bouillon, garlic and vinegar.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Return to Lean Cuisine