Chicken Noodle HELP

Add your favorite recipes.

Chicken Noodle HELP

Postby Aerie » June 17th, 2006, 12:05 pm

I love everything I've tried except the chicken noodle soup. Help!!!! The broth is thick and slimy and there are some crunchy bits (dehydrated chicken bits I guess?) Now I love the Chicken and rice and the creamed soups. What am I doing wrong with the chicken noodle? More water? cook longer? Soaked overnight?
Aerie
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby SharonR » June 17th, 2006, 12:14 pm

Chicken Noddle is my favorite! Yes, cooking it longer is a good idea. This is how I make it.

Add 8 or 9 oz. of water, mircrowave for 2 to 2 1/2 min. ( until it's about to boil over. I also use a large bowl so this won't happen) I take it out of the mirco and add a bit of salt and let it sit for 4 or 5 min. Stir and mircowave another 2 min or more. Then I let it sit 5 min. It's perfect!

But that's just me!
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Start Weight 326.7 ~ My short term goal will put me at 250!

Started June 19th 2008. First Mini Goal 76.7 pounds.
SharonR
Preferred member

cook it!

Postby Timpma » June 17th, 2006, 2:15 pm

I always cook the chicken noodle soup on top of the stove. I add a whole cup of water, and sometimes a little chicken bouillion, and cook it with the lid on for about 5 minutes. Really good - and no crunchy bits. Try adding a little balsamic vinegar! Also good!

Good luck!
Connie
Timpma
Newbie - #20 Club

Postby Ketann » June 17th, 2006, 2:44 pm

Every morning as I'm nuking my oatmeal, I prepare my soup and/or chili ahead of time. I can't remember where I learned this (prolly on this forum), but it works. I add a packet of Herbox low sodium chicken bouillon, then (this is weird) I fill the medifast shaker cup to the line that is above the 8 oz. line. 9 oz. maybe? Anyway, I usually have my soup or chili around 5:00 PM.
This works good and no crunchy bits. BTW, I nuke the soup too (2 1/2 min) I hope this helps. Good Luck with whatever you do.

Keturah
Ketann

Postby Aerie » June 17th, 2006, 5:36 pm

Will this help the broth as well? It seems a little slimy to me. I'm dissapointed because I really was excited about being able to eat Chicken Noodle Soup. I do usually cook on the stove top at home so maybe I'll just cook a little longer and perhaps add more water. Thanks for the suggestions and wish me luck.
Aerie

Postby DogMa » June 17th, 2006, 6:02 pm

I let mine soak, too. It's still not one of my favorites, though. I make fabulous REAL chicken soup, so anything from a packet can't compare. (And those bits are actually soy bits - fake chicken.)
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Amber » June 17th, 2006, 7:58 pm

I find that adding a bit more water seems to take some of the "slime" out. I really like the chicken noodle with a little light soy sauce and a few, very few, drops of sesame oil added.
Amber

Goal Met November 1, 2006
#44, 23 weeks
Amber

Postby Joelie » June 17th, 2006, 8:58 pm

I'm one of the odd ones that actually likes the slime. :lol: Makes it more like an egg drop soup for me. ;)

I mix it with hot water in the am and let it soak all morning and nuke it about 1:00 for 1 1/2 minutes (stirring at least once), take out of nuker and season (I like lemon pepper).

OR

If I forget to pre-soak ~ Mix with 8 oz of hot water, nuke for 1 1/2 minutes (stirring at least once), take out of nuker, season and then cover with a paper plate for about 5 minutes. PERRRRRFECT!
Joelie
Preferred Member - #110 Club
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby Lital » June 18th, 2006, 4:57 pm

I now keep a bunch of seasonings in my cupboard. I found a lemon & herb spice from McCormick (I think) & I always add it to my chicken noodle as well as the wild rice & chix soup. I always add another 1/4 to 1/3 cup of water & after nuking, I set the timer for another 5 minutes. It's pretty mushy by that point.
~Li
Lital

Postby sidrah » June 18th, 2006, 5:13 pm

I soak it overnight or from the AM till dinner time. If I forget to or am jsut in the mood for it and didn't plan ahead, I add a cup of boiling water to it and let it jsut sit. THe hot water rehydrates the chunks(Kind of like when you do dried onions). THen, later on, I will cook it in the micro or on the stove. By then, it just needs ot be heated and the contents are not hard any longer.

The onlky thing I have been adding in is that Mrs. Dash. Seems like it has so many spices already mixed in, so it works for me.
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby electra000 » June 19th, 2006, 8:14 am

I soak my chicken noodle soup in the fridge, but I add 2 cups of water and one half tsp of chicken bouillon to it. When I am ready to eat it I take it out of the fridge and a few chopped mushrooms, a little bit of original Ms. Dash, a squirt of lemon juice, and black pepper. I put it in the micro for 2 1/2 minutes. I have large plastic measuring cups with lids that work great to soak my soups and chili in. :)
electra000
Preferred member

Return to Lean Cuisine