Carry-on Luggage

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Carry-on Luggage

Postby Ketann » June 25th, 2006, 8:08 am

Hubby and I are traveling via plane in September. I want to pack light. I am even mailing my medigrub for that week to Mom to assist in that goal. I know we have a lot of travelers here, so I was wondering some suggestions in luggage/tips. We will have access to a washer/dryer, so I know that will help. I heard airports are getting strict about carry-ons, so I want to be within guidelines. Continental (what we will be using) states on their website:
"The maximum combined linear measurement (L + W + H) of the carry-on bag is 51 inches (130 cm). The maximum weight of the carry-on bag is 40 pounds (18 kg)".
We always tend to overpack, and I want to try to not this time. Thanks for any assistance :).

Keturah
Ketann
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » June 25th, 2006, 9:17 am

I take my packets out of the box and put them in zip-lock back to save space.

If you do this, be sure to cut the Medifast label from the box and slip it in the zip-lock with your packets, in case they ask you what it is.
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby alpha femme » June 25th, 2006, 10:05 am

roll your clothes. you can get an extra 25% or so in your bags. i never check anything anymore, but (even with my jumbo size jeans) i can usually get a week's worth into a carry-on if i roll everything.
alpha femme
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » June 25th, 2006, 10:15 am

I use those space bags, too. They're kinda like giant Zip-Locs. You put your clothes in 'em, then roll them to force out all the air.

And I take my packets out of the boxes, too. I've never been stopped or even asked about them. They all say Medifast on them, as far as I know. (And I usually use a shaker jar or Blender Bottle or something like that for my crackers or soy crisps, so they don't get crushed.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby lilgorg » June 26th, 2006, 12:52 pm

I travel all the time and don’t believe in checking bags unless I’m flying overseas. One thing that I do that really helps is that I don’t fold my pants and/or long skirts. Instead, open your suitcase and line the bottom with your pants (let the ends hang over both edges of the suitcase). Put your folded clothes on top of the pants. When you’re done, fold in both ends of the pants over the folded clothes. You’d be amazed at how much more you can get in there that way! Trust me, I do it all the time and can go for 1-2 week trips (except the winter months is a lil harder). People are always amazed at how much I can get in my bag. I hope my description makes sense.

Also, make the most of your clothes. Be sure to bring shoes that will work with more than one outfit. Same thing for jackets and pants. I too take my MF out of the boxes and pack them in ziplock bags (make sure to have easy access to 2 of them for the wait and on the actual plane ride, maybe more if it’s a longer flight). Good luck!
lilgorg
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Return to What's Shakin'