CaribGirl

1 Thread per registered User.

CaribGirl

Postby CaribGirl » August 6th, 2008, 9:21 am

Ok, I've decided to start a journal after coming here and "lurking" for 3 years. The main reason I decided to start one now is that the crowd seems to be thinning immensely. The main reason I have not started one before now is because I have not done the Medifast program. i did one very similar, so I feel like I belong here.
I am 44 , married, step-mother to 2 teenagers, and work full-time. I have been small (tiny, actually) all of my life until about 3 years ago. Right before I turned 40 I quit smoking; a 25 years habit. I then turned 40 (a curse in itself), and got married for the first and only time. So my metabolism has 3 things working against it all at once. I am only 5'1, and by the time things settled I had gained 30 lbs. I only weighed 133 at my highest, but that was 30 lbs more than I was used to carrying.
I tried everything I could think of to get it off, but it was hard because I already ate very healthy, and I already was an exercise freak.
I finally found a program, that like Medifast, required little brainwork. I did not have to count, measure, weigh, or specially prepare anything. I was able to get back down to 100 in about 5 months.
Since then I have done a good job of maintaining, sort of.
I still eat right, still exercise fanatically, and still don't smoke. But I have found maintaining to be rather tricky. I teeter-totter between 108-112, which are both goof weights for me, although I PREFER to be around 103. (My husband is convinced I have Body-Dysmorphic Disorder; I am convinced he just likes saying that)
I am not obsessed with my weight or my body, I just like for my clothes to all fit comfortably.
I have watched (well, read) very carefully the following journals:
Dogma
Lauren
Lizabette
Jo
DeDe
Biki- until she vamoosed- does anyone know if she's OK?
ike
Diana
Rdoeomom
I miss the obvious one's from above that no longer post, as well as Lifelovinaies, queenielou, and asiscles. I'm sure there are others but those are all I can think of now.
I am totally impressed with both Lauren and Robin's commitment to both their diets and their exercise routines. I am impressed with everyone's determination, and ability to face the music when they jumped off the bandwagon.
I don't know how much I have to add to anyone's thoughts, I just kinda wanted to introduce myself since sometimes a new face can start things going again.
My name is Lauren, and I love the Caribbean!!
CaribGirl
Trusted Member

Postby Mike » August 6th, 2008, 11:09 am

Good to finally meet you. Maintenance is one of the most difficult times of your life, as I am sure you have realized. Someday I will get there. ;)

Have you read through the Transition and Maintenance guide for Medifast. Its full of excellent plans.

One thing I would say, based on what I know of others who struggle with maintenance is that when you gain 4-5 lbs, they get back on the regular program for a bit to lose the weight then return to maintenance. That may be something you want to consider.

Here is a link to the guide: http://www.tsfl.com/corporate/support_tools.asp
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby DogMa » August 6th, 2008, 1:04 pm

Maybe it's changed, but I didn't find the maintenance info all that helpful two years ago. They had a transition plan, then basically said eat healthy and include lots of lean protein and veggies. Umm, yeah, thanks.

(And welcome, CaribGirl! I've seen you around here on and off, so it's nice to see you over in the journals.)
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby katesmom » August 6th, 2008, 3:04 pm

Welcome ! :D
356/331/150
Started 7/24/10
Can't wait to WIN this race !!
katesmom
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Mike » August 6th, 2008, 5:18 pm

I believe that its much more thorough now that its been updated. Check it out.

:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby CaribGirl » August 7th, 2008, 7:10 am

I think that I'm like Robin in that i just want to get these few extra pounds off and then try to figure out how to maintain at THAT weight.
Like I said, what I am doing is working for the most part, it's just those pesky few lbs that I don't want. And I do really think it's a mental thing, because I know that my current weight looks pretty good on me and is not an unhealthy weight for anyone!
Robin, that's why I was curious as to what your new "plan" is.
Thanks for officially welcoming me!
CaribGirl
Trusted Member

Postby DogMa » August 7th, 2008, 7:10 am

I'll take your word for it. After two years, I think it's a tad late for me.

ETA: That was a response to Mike, not to CaribGirl. :)
Last edited by DogMa on August 7th, 2008, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Lauren » August 7th, 2008, 8:26 am

Hey, CaribGirl / Lauren! Like your name! :-)

So glad you posted, and I'm very happy to hear that I've played even a small role in your forum experience.

I always worry about how to respond to someone who says they're at a healthy weight, but wants to lose more weight, because I don't know you and can't see you, so I don't know whether it's appropriate to encourage you to drop that weight. Do you know what I mean? While I laughed at the whole hubbie liking to just say "body dyspmorphic disorder," and while you likely don't have it if you're truly not consumed by your body, I still just don't know if you're supposed to be 103 pounds, or if that's too thin / unhealthy, especially since you call yourself fanatic about exercise.
I guess I would just remind you to "check yourself." Make sure you've set reasonable expectations from a health perspective, and then work within that framework from the aesthetic side of things.

Okay, I'll get off that soapbox now! All of that said, if you are cool and have normal perspective, then I would just go with what Mike recommended, which is tighten the reigns a bit to when you were more fully in the weight loss phase. Obviously you will still want more than you had then, since you likely exercise significantly more, but perhaps meet somewhere in the middle. I find if I want to just drop a couple pounds, I go back to eating the way I did a few weeks into transition. Basically a blend of the hard core MF diet plan, and then a few extras, like fruit and my non-fat greek yogurt, and just more lean protein. But I cut out some of the side stuff that I've been able to incorporate in maintenance. Does that make sense?

Sorry I'm a bit all over the place in this post, I am responding to work issues while typing this, so I think I'm scatterbrained across the board!

Glad to have you drop in, don't be a stranger! Oh, and congrats on the loss and general maintenance, you've been a total success story!

Cheers,

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby CaribGirl » August 8th, 2008, 7:54 am

Thanks for the words of wisdom, Lauren. I had to laugh when reading your response to my body dysmorphic disorder. And you are right, 103 is probably too small, but I am determined to get back into my high school wardrobe (HAHAHA). I really think 108 looks good on me, even though I am very small boned, so yes, 103 is a bit of a stretch. I think that number is stuck in my head because that's where I was for SO many years.
I just wish I teetered between 103- 108, instead of 108-112. As you can imagine 5 lbs makes a big difference in the way my clothes fit.
And more than anything, my total sense of accomplishment is based on how many items of clothing I can wear comfortably. OK, not my TOTAL sense, but you know what i mean.
There is no greater NSV for me than to open my closet and know that I can wear EVERYTHING in it!
As for healthy, yes, I am very healthy, so I have no complaints there!
Maybe my body just needs to be at 108-112? I have often wondered about that. And if that's the case, then I will keep doing what I'm doing, and accept that is where I am healthiest.
Again, I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and comments on all subjects here.
Lauren
CaribGirl
Trusted Member

Postby CaribGirl » August 11th, 2008, 6:58 am

Not much to report.
I ran 2 miles on Friday. A little walking in there, but mostly running.
I don't know if I mentioned my exercise program in my previous posts, but it goes like this:
Monday- 1 hr. Boot Camp ( intense cardio with some strength training)
Tuesday- 30 minutes strength training with trainer
Wednesday- 1 hr. Boot Camp
Thursday- 1 hr. Pilates
30 Min strength training with trainer
Friday- 1 hr. Boot Camp
Weekends- long walks with my husband. Very few physical benefits as we don't really get our heart rates up much, but lots of emotional benefit!

Boot Camp runs for 4 weeks, then is off for 2 weeks. Right now is off time, so I am trying to walk/ run on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

As I've said before, the program I follow is medifast-like, although not exactly the same. I am trying to drop just a few pounds, then figure out how to keep those pesky few off. So, on the days I do Boot Camp, I try to eat about 200-250 more calories, whether they be in the form of a shake, bar, or some other protein. So far, this seems to have worked in maintaining 110-112. but where would I make the change when it's time to maintain 105-108?? That;s where I am having trouble figuring this all out.
Anyway, I hope you all had a great weekend....
Lauren
CaribGirl
Trusted Member

Return to My Journal