I cannot believe I....

Need a lift? Drop in to see some of our most popular posts.

I cannot believe I....

Postby explorthis » March 15th, 2004, 8:36 am

went roller skating! My great friend - he is 28, I am 42 (fun to have a younger friend - to see what they still have to learn about life) called Sat, said he and friends were going roller skating at the local roller rink Sunday aft, and did I want to go along?

SKATING? ME? Well, I was an avid skater in my "growing up years" I used to skate on a very frequent basis, as I did the skateboard fad also...

Since I have a 13 y/o daughter that skates on her roller blades better than I can walk, I opted to see if she could fit it into her schedule... YEAH DAD - LETS GO she bellows!!!

YIKES - I am a fat guy - I can’t skate anymore!! WAIT! I am not as much of a fat guy as I used to be, but remember, this might happen to you - Once a fat guy, always a fat guy (or girl?) I still see myself as "being watched" though I wear normal size clothes, which are actually semi-to large on me again. Well, I was wrong, I was not watched – I was the watcher!

OK - let’s go. Who cares if I have not laced up a pair of the wheels in 25 or so years, all I can do is fall on my boney-arse, and break an arm or 2, hey will heal, maybe.

Do you remember how many eyelets roller skates have? Do you remember how long it takes to lace up roller skates? WHO CARES! I was hunched over, and prior to many, past heart racing eposodes, I EASILY laced up my skates, all 400 eyelets and was not even winded!!! WOWOWOW!

Well guess what - I skated, and I skated just wonderfully. I had a wonderful time sharing the afternoon with friends, and ESPICALLY my daughter. Don’t tell her I told you, but they had a couples skate, or 3-person skate and you had to hold hands. She brought along her close aged friend (who also skates like she is walking on air) She (Alix) goaded me into the 3-skate. I was in the middle, and they on either side of me just pulled me around the rink for about 10 minutes.

I had a wonderful time, spent time with my kid, friends, realized I was not being watched, but in fact, I was one of the skinnier adults on the rink!! I could feel the exercise happening, and I was never “winded” once!!! WOW!!!

I did well, did not fall down once. It only took me about 5 minutes for the skills to come back (WHEW) I was really a little nervous - falling - being watched etc.

I look forward to these small things now in my life. It’s just beginning all over again. I feel like a newborn. Summer is coming, the beach is coming, and the amusement parks are coming! My kid wants me to do things!!! Me !!!

I have a daughter that loves to spend time with me. I cherish every second of this. She is a fun kid, and I know soon as boys come into the picture (GAWD - this scares me) I am going to take the back seat. I am glad I discovered Medifast, and had the strength, my own strength, and the help from this board to successfully lose that unwanted weight for the last time.

Had I not lost the weight, I would have N-E-V-E-R gone skating, or even thought about going, no way, no how.

<sigh> We even got free passes for this Wednesday night for a return visit.

How much are roller blades anyway?

Be faithful - I promise its A-L-L worth it!

-Skater Dude
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » March 15th, 2004, 8:48 am

pssst.... :secret: ....hey skater dude.

Don't tell the ladies your story just brought a little tear to my eye.... :oops:

Great story Mike.

One suggestion....No HeliSkiing or bungi jumping!!!!
:)
Unca the envious
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Carrie » March 15th, 2004, 8:52 am

He's a roller derby king! Way to go Mike!

I hadn't thought about roller skating in forever. Used to be a big thing for us in junior high and the beginning of high school.

I don't have a 'reached goal weight victorious' note to add, but I can DEFINITELY say that ....

I cannot believe I ........... licked the inside of a boullion envelope. Which I did indeed do on day 2. :roll:

Hasn't been quite that bad since, LOL

Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie
Preferred Member - 70# Club

awesome

Postby TamiL » March 15th, 2004, 9:15 am

Mike....I too, have to admit with Unca..that your post brought tears to my eyes...that is so wonderful!! Im so happy for you...and happy for the thought of summer coming..and you will be OUT THERE ENJOYING it with your girls! that has got to be the greatest feeling in the world!! I think that when your overweight..and then loose the weight...that you will always see yourself or FEEL on the inside that you are STILL overweight..its something that is hard to forget!! you dont see yourself as others see you now, you still may see that heavy person...or think of yourself that way in your MIND..but then when you see your reflection in the mirror of a store or a wall someplace...your like "WOW" is that really ME?" !!!!!

yes its you....the NEW You!! enjoy and savor every minute of it!!! so happy for you!! your awesome!!!
:-P
Tami
ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU BELEIVE!!!

Medifast RESTART 13 March 09
150/my goal weight is 130
TamiL
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby TamiL » March 15th, 2004, 9:19 am

Carrie....oh yeah...almost forgot....

I too my dear have a SALT confession.....

I sucked on a pickle ( a few of them) untill the sides of my mouth were numb!!
I have added boullion to my fast soups...when I couldnt get enuf salt!!
and once...I even added extra salt to my fast soup..with pepper!! so your not alone on the salt thing.....it comes and goes!!! :-P
as long as you dont overdue it...its okay to get a fix every so often!!
Tami
ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE IF YOU BELEIVE!!!

Medifast RESTART 13 March 09
150/my goal weight is 130
TamiL
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Jeanette » March 15th, 2004, 9:20 am

Mike, you continue to amaze me.... This is the coolest thing I have read in ages! :lol:
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby elle4nelly » March 15th, 2004, 12:01 pm

Thanks for the inspiration Mike!

Can't wait for these life little pleasure either! Tami and hd...I get the salt bug too sometimes!! don't even know why! I ordinary do not like salt! And thanks again for the support on the other post. I've gather a full list of low Vitamin k veggies and crafted a new medifast plan...let's hope the labwork numbers remains good and steady...'cause I'd like to go roller skating like Mike ..wearing all white!!!
he he! :lol:

Your wanna be skinny like Mike dudette!

Nelly
Final Restart on Dec 18th
elle4nelly
Preferred member

Postby HD » March 15th, 2004, 12:57 pm

Mike,
You'r the Man! My husband is very active and I can't wait to ask him to go roller skating....I can't even imagine me skating. I know everyone here is now geared up & ready to do the skate thing, No skate board for me though. This granny will keep to the sidelines. There's so many things you've opened up our minds to with your story, When our children/granchildren would come for a visit, I couldn't even walk a block to the park without my legs hurting, now....I think I could give them a run for their money (ok, maybe a fast pace :lol: ) Soon though I hope for a fast jog. Ya'll look out ......granny is on her way! Thanks for sharing with us Mike and we look forward to more updates!
Jackie (HD)

01/24/2004
193/151/124
HD
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby moutoncove » March 15th, 2004, 1:05 pm

Ooooohhhhhhh Mike,

I'm too choked up for words.

Brenda
moutoncove
Regular Member - #40 Club

Postby shineface » March 15th, 2004, 3:59 pm

OK -- so when I saw the title of your post "I can't believe I ...." my first thought was "ATE THE WHOLE THING!!" :roll: --- old habits and THOUGHTS really do die hard!!!!!

BUT ---- re-birth --- you "disco-roller-boy" you!!!! Yep, gotta admit it - has me sittin' here all teared up with the new wonders of your life!!!!

That's what this is all about and thank God you're sticking around to share your re-birth stories with all of us Mike! YOU ARE EXCHANGING OLD HABITS AND THOGHTS FOR NEW ONES!!!!! This is the only chance, for many of us the final chance, we all have for recovery and a full healthy life!!!!

Everyone needs to work their own MF program the way that makes them comfortable BUT I know that ...

without making changes during this journey -and changing old habits and exchanging old behaviors for new ones that - At the end I WILL have a thin MF body and a FAT head unable to maintain the result - for life!

This is an awesome story Mike and a look at the hope and joy that is out there on the "other side" -we have everything ahead of us if we just reach out and make the choice to take it!!!!

WE WILL do this together!!! :stroll:
Pam -"I AM the ME in MEdifast"
Start = 1/24/04 70 down 60 up
5/1/05=279.6
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf. - Unknown
shineface
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Nancy » March 15th, 2004, 8:31 pm

Mikey,

I am thrilled that you are making a list of all the "Because I can" things you can do now that you have reached your goal weight. Ain't it great??

There's nothing like experiencing new things or re-experiencing old things all over again now that YOU CAN.

Hangeth in there, Folks - you are on your weigh to a whole new life!!!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Starloser63 » March 16th, 2004, 5:47 am

Mike,

Thank you so much for your post. You have renewed my excitement for my plan. Besides not wanting to be unhealthy anymore, I want to be able to do things with my girls Samantha 15 y/o and Addie 2.5 y/o. I will have to post pictures also. I want you all to meet my family. I am always tired or aching or lazy. Thanks again for your post you truly are an amazing guy.
I thank the good Lord everyday for this board and the people on it.

HERE'S TO ANOTHER DAY OF SHAKING!

:hug: :heart:
Through Christ all things all possible.
Susan F
246/216/150
3/23/04 2nd x
First Goal 199
Starloser63
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Bonnie » April 8th, 2006, 10:06 am

Mike

I just read your post and was very inspired.

I used to skate once a month with a youth group and my father would skate with me while my mother sat on the sidelines watching. I loved skating and most of all I loved having my dad all to myself while skating with me. I came from a large family and there was not much of the one on one with my dad or mom. I know how much your daughter must have loved you skating with her. There are not too many dads out there that can do that because they are so out of shape.

Thanks for sharing with us.
I lost 50lbs Through Take Shape for Life

Bonnie Wills
Bonnie
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Skating

Postby Jan » April 8th, 2006, 8:22 pm

Look out world here we come!!! :D
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Return to The Elevator