can't seem to get going

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

can't seem to get going

Postby cindyjones008 » March 24th, 2008, 8:33 pm

Hi, I did MF about four years ago, lost approx. 60 pounds, kept it off for two years, until I became pregnant and depressed, at which point I had a net gain of 60 pounds after giving birth.

I was stuck in some sort of depression (not severe depression) which I have worked my way out of for the most part. My life is much better now and I am a much happier and active person now.

I took this entire week off of work, so I could finish unpacking, but mostly so I could start MF, my second go around. I know the first week, maybe even two weeks are going to be the toughest, therefore I figured I would do better at home instead of at work. Work has tons of candy and junk food out throughout the building.

Anyways, I was off to a great start. My son was in daycare all day. I picked him up at 5pm, brought him home and fed him dinner. As soon I was putting his chicken on his highchair, I impulsively put some in my mouth--yummy! By the way, I do the 6/0, which I was very successful on a few years back. Anyways, I didn't even try to stop myself, I really don't think I had time, I was very very impulsive on my part, I just said, I want it now and stuck it in my mouth. Since I ate the chicken, I figured since I already blew it, I might as well just go for it. Next thing I knew I went into my trash can to dig out the candies I threw out the night before. I know it sounds gross, but it was a new trash can, with only paper towels in the new plastic bag, and the candy was sealed.

Anyways, after eating all the candy, I wanted more, I started looking around the house for candy that I might have forgotton to get rid of the night before--no luck. I went nuts until after I put my son to bed, I had cereal.

Last time I did this, I was single. This time I am a single mom. Before I was able to get all of the food out of my house. This time I have to have food in my house to feed my son. I feel it would have been easier if I didn't have to feed my son! Oh well, that is my current reality and I don't know how to deal with it.

I feel like binging all week because why not, I will just start new next week. I hate this kind of thinking. Part of me feels like I will never get this thing, like I will never get thin again! Another part of me knows that I will get thin again, in fact I am very confident about it. However, it is so painful and so tough to do this program again. I know once I get through the first two weeks, it is much easier.

Somebody suggested to me to do 5/1. I tried that before, however, as soon as I am finished with my lean and green, I want sugar, I don't feel full. Eating a meal just seems to trigger my cravings even worse than they were before I ate the meal.
cindyjones008

Postby Mike » March 24th, 2008, 9:42 pm

Hi Cindy. Glad you are here.

Sounds like you have alot of things going for you, you know what you want... you ust need to keep your eye on the prize. Its hard, but I think that if you work on reprogramming yourself so that you can refocus where your goal is, you might be more successful.

Also, on the other food around.... Medifast food isn't "diet" food, its nutritionally balanced, prepackaged food. Children can have it also, in addition to the other foods that they get. So, you can have your oatmeal and so can they, along with an egg or something additional.

Anyhow, just some ideas to get ya started.

;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby lifelovinaries » March 24th, 2008, 9:50 pm

hi cindy and welcome to the forum. You say that you have to keep food in the house for your son, which i understand. However, if you decide to do the 5/1, your son would also be able to have the same l&g that you have right? If the l&G triggers cravings, probably one of 2 things is happening: 1. Either you are having items in your L&G that are not exactly compliant (i.e. sugar in marinades, sauces, etc) OR 2. Your cravings are all mental which, if this is the case, it's a matter of learning to control your emotional eating.

Why put off til next week what you can do for your next meal? If you happen to eat off plan for one meal, jump back on plan for the next meal. Even if you eat off plan for 2 meals, jump right back on. You will be proud of yourself for getting right back on plan regardless of what you just ate minutes (or hours) before. Either way, if you try to take it hour by hour (which i still have to do, even after 155 days on the program), the day will fly by and before you know it, you have made it through a full day of compliance. Good luck with the program, just start again with your next meal (not next week) and remember, we are here to help. You will see that many of us struggle while it seems easy for others. Everyone is different. No matter which side of the tracks you fall on, you always have someone on that side with you. Take care.

restart: 01/04/10
lifelovinaries

Postby MusicalMomma » March 25th, 2008, 5:07 am

Great advice you two!!!! I needed a refresher on the very thoughts you brought up :)

Hi Cindy :wave: You and I think a lot alike! I've had the "all or nothing" mentality all my life. It's a very diffucult mindset to break. I got my medifast late last friday (this is my second real go around too). I was thinking of having one last Hoo-Rah weekend! But then I thought, Monday won't be any easier to start than Saturday! So, I started...and glad I did...4 pounds in 3 days! (oh the weight I've already lost was from another method...just incase my ticker confused you hehe).

Another thought I try to keep in mind...at the end of the day...when I'm most tempted...I think to myself..."If I stay strong and resist...will I wake up in the morning regretting not eating that treat?" I've never woken in the morning and thought..."dang, I wish I ate that ice cream last night! I would feel so much better right now if I did!"...No, I wake up, happy that I didn't give in.

Hang in there :)
MusicalMomma

Postby ladyhawke » March 25th, 2008, 5:58 am

Hi Cindy,
Don't give up, I don't know how old your baby is but I have a child and what works for me is I feed him food I don't care for (albeit healthy food) and I am not tempted to eat when I feed him, also if you just had the chicken, depending on how it's prepared i.e. not fried, some vegetables to make up a lean and green and you are still compliant.

Even if you do 6+0, which I did because I felt I was out of control with food, AND ate the chicken lean and green you would still be OK because you are allowed an extra shake if you need it.

Have some legal vegetables or salad makings on hand for those moments.

Right now I am on a "Fried" cabbage and tofu stir fry which is filling and is getting me through it.

You can do it, just get started and get going, also call Nancy if you need some help and encouragement.
Best,
LH
ladyhawke
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby dbedrosi » March 26th, 2008, 11:32 am

Hi LadyHawke,
Can you share your recipe for the "Fried" cabbage and tofu stir fry?
I'm on day 1 of restarting and would love to try a new L&G to help me over the next 2 weeks as I adjust to MD.

Thanks,
Denise
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzVdiiK/]
[/url]
dbedrosi
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby Maisy » March 26th, 2008, 2:09 pm

Hey hon...I know what you are feeling, I was SOOOOO depressed after the birth of my 2nd...worked through it also. I am currently baking a choc cake for my sons class. IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! except my mindset is 1 day, I only have to do this one day, I only have to do it right today. It helps, I have 5 meals, diet soda, lots of water. I just don't want to be this fat person anymore, and yes I want to EAT ALL the Easter candy, but everytime I think about it, I ask myself if I really want to be 'needing to lose weight' next year.

So dear, just say no, say it out loud, you CAN do this, YOU CAN...when you start to put something in your mouth say to yourself, do I want to be healthy and thinner, do I want the energy back to play with my child? Really, playing with your kids is the best thing you can give them. Look in the mirror if you have to, just do it, because you can do this plan, you are strong enough and all that you will get from the candy is a craving for more.

If I was you, I personally would do the 6 meals a day for 3 days, then add lean and green after day 3 , ( yea I know not the right way but 3 days is always the magic day for any addiction) watch those greens, some cause you to want more sugar, Your brain is saying help me I have no sugar, I must have sugar, THIS WILL PASS. Hells bells, email me, I work from home, I have been hovering the opmputer for 2 days. I'll have ya rolling and laughing, but seriously girl, I have so been exactly where you are.

Give this gift to yourself, give this gife to your child. Talk to yourself if you are frustrated, write in a journal, write the reasons down you want to lose weight, put it on a card, carry it with you everywhere. Drink water as soon as you feel a craving.

At the end of the day there are 2 facts,

1 YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN DO THIS
2 YOU CAN DO THIS

Anything, any thought that says you can't is lying... oooh, how much do you want to lose? Go to the store and heft some dog food, do you really want this burden any more.

Also, if you mess up, forgive and forget AND GET BACK ON PLAN!
Maisy
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Re: can't seem to get going

Postby Mickeyz » March 26th, 2008, 7:39 pm

cindyjones008 wrote:Somebody suggested to me to do 5/1. I tried that before, however, as soon as I am finished with my lean and green, I want sugar, I don't feel full. Eating a meal just seems to trigger my cravings even worse than they were before I ate the meal.

I did the 6/0 a couple years ago and this time I did 5/1. I know exactly what you mean about the sugar craving after you eat. I have had it from the beginning and I still get it! Just plan ahead since you know it is going to happen. I have a cup of flavored tea with Splenda or my favorite is a cup of decaf coffee with a tablespoon of sugar free flavored creamer and some flavored syrup. (the creamer has 1 carb, but it is a heck of a lot better than cookies or candy) Granted, it isn't the same as sweets, but it gets me over the hump and in about 20 minutes the craving is gone. It is actually quite tasty. Then I know that in 3 hours I can have pudding and go to bed!

Perhaps a 5/1 would make it easier to fix food for your little one. Personally, I don't see my weight loss was enough different between the 6/0 and the 5/1 to worry about. You'll still get there if you stick to a plan. Try the 5/1 for a couple weeks and see how it goes.

Also, if you can just stick to the plan for 3-4 days it gets so much easier. Don’t psych yourself out by believing it will take you 2 weeks to get in to the groove.

You can do this. Your circumstances are a little different this time so you will have to make some changes. You said you were giving your little one chicken…well that is certainly an acceptable lean part of your L&G. See, you wouldn’t have been off plan at all!

Good Luck. Hang in there, you can do this!
Reached Goal Nov 2007 61.5 lbs lost
Gained 11 lbs in Mexico 3/08, decided to lose that along with another 5 lbs!
Mickeyz
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby ladyhawke » March 26th, 2008, 8:27 pm

Hi Denise,

I buy the lite firm tofu, that package it comes in contains 2 servings. Peel back the plastic on the package and pour some of the water off the tofu, leave enough to barely cover the tofu and cut the block in half and then into pieces, (you decide how big) and on top of the tofu pieces in the plastic container it comes in I add some garlic powder and fresh garlic if you like, a TINY bit of Splenda, some ginger, powdered or fresh and about 1 teas, low sodium soy sauce cover it and let that marinate in the fridge, a few red pepper flakes are good, also, and let that marinate I let mine overnight sometimes.

Spray a skillet with Pam olive oil or the butter flavor spray, whatever you have that's allowed, add chopped onion, or the chopped green onions are good with it, garlic, and saute that a little bit ,watch so it doesn't burn, then add about 1/2 of a small cabbage, I cut mine julienne style to equal 2 c raw. You can also change it up if you want to add some broccoli crowns and raw sliced mushrooms. I add some ginger and garlic powder and if you like it spicy, a few red pepper flakes. Cook it down for a while until it wilts, I then add about 1/4 cup of chicken broth, and let that all cook a little more.

Move the cabbage aside in the frying pan and add the marinated 1/2 block of tofu and let that heat through.

Put the cabbage in your serving dish with the tofu over it and splash a little low sodium soy sauce over all.

The tofu takes on any flavor you marinate it in, some people can't stand tofu but if you like it, it is good for a change.

I hope you like it, I ate it every day for my L+G and lost weight.

It seems like a lot of food and it is filling which is saying something on a diet!

Best,
LH
ladyhawke

Postby dbedrosi » March 27th, 2008, 4:43 pm

Thanks LH!! What a great recipe. I'll try it over the weekend. Thanks again! Denise
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wzVdiiK/]
[/url]
dbedrosi
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby ladyhawke » March 31st, 2008, 6:17 am

Denise,

Tofu is also good marinated with the different vinegars, sliced lengthwise and grilled if you have a grill pan.

Whole Foods Market take-out has a Grilled Tofu with Cilantro/Pecan Pesto Sauce which I used to be hooked on, I am going to try to modify that sauce to MF standards, leaving out the pine nuts and pecans until maintenance.

All the best,
LH
ladyhawke

Postby DogMa » April 1st, 2008, 12:13 pm

I'm a little late in chiming in, thanks to all the site problems lately, but I just wanted to add a practical suggestion to combat what sounds like unconscious eating while you're feeding your son. You might want to try popping in a piece of sugar-free gum, or even a sugar-free mint, when you're getting his food ready. It'll keep your mouth busy, and the minty taste will discourage any sampling - and remind you to think twice before nibbling.

And yes, getting rid of that all-or-nothing mentality is key for most of us. Even in maintenance, I have to remind myself that just because I indulged at one meal doesn't mean I can now chuck it all and just eat what I want. In fact, it's the opposite: Having dessert or something one night means I should be extra-careful for the next few days. But it's not going to happen for you overnight.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Return to Come on in.