I am Al Bundy.

Fitness and Exercise

I am Al Bundy.

Postby Toxsiq » September 30th, 2005, 2:08 am

Remember that show "Married ...with Children"? Al Bundy lived in the past, always remember his days as a highschool football player. Well I feel like I'm Al Bundy whenever I talk about martial arts. It was the best time of my life.

I started in an aerobics style kickboxing class. NEVER in my entire life had anyone ever expected me to be able to do everything. In gym class the teachers just counted me out automatically, they figured I was a waste of their time I guess....but this kickboxing instructor treated me like everyone else and never let me punk out, not a single time. She kicked my ass and told me not to walk through the door unless I was prepared to try as hard and do as well as everyone else....so I did and I was GOOD! I learned that I was really good at kicking and punching! I learned what it felt like to earn a good sweat. So good...So then I was motivated to join Taekwondo. I lost 60 pounds through pure sweat...and then I moved on to Hapkido...but I gained so much weight back, I slacked off in training and other things like work and school and family took center stage and I got lazy....

Then last year I became really sick and very very long story short I found out that I have an extremely rare autoimmune condition (it's like a cross between Lupus and RA) and some days I'm lucky to be able to walk without crutches. I'm only 26 and I don't want to be 36 and look back and say "if only I had taken care of myself..." So I chose MF because of the weight loss without exercise initially. I got back to 6 miles a day on my eliptical machine a few weeks ago, but the activity was too harsh and I was depending on wayyyyyy too many pain killers just to get through the day (and thats just not my style to be all doped up everyday) so I had to back off the exercise.

I have RAMBLED on so much! oh my god I better make my point and quick! So I want to state my plan and goal to you all so I feel accountable.

As of October 1st I will go back to the gym and swim 4 times a week. Maybe water aerobics?

But I'd like to try pilates again...and yoga....I don't know...what is everyone else doing to exercise? What do you do to stay active???

xoxox Toxsiq
319/314/145

"The control of our being is not unlike the combination to a safe, each advance and retreat is a step toward ones final goal." -Bruce Lee
Toxsiq

Postby dlr2424 » October 2nd, 2005, 11:47 am

Tox...... :) ....thanks for sharing your story......my girlfriend who absolutely hates exercise started taking karate a few years back..... :point: ....everyone just snickered at her thinking it was a phase.... :clap: ...well she is now a double black belt and I am so proud of her.... :bravo: ....it just goes to show you.....you can do whatever you set your mind to...... :hmmm: ......I think laying off exercise may be good for you...........Nancy never exercised at all during her weight loss phase and lost 130 lbs in 8 months............however, to answer your question.... :exercise: ...I walk or do pilates which I think is a great form of exercise...............my husband has to take meds to suppress his immune system (due to a heart transplant) so I can relate to how crappy some days may feel for you.............but your doing the right thing by getting your weight & health in check...............God Bless

Donna...dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Return to The Gymnasium