Brandy820

1 Thread per registered User.

Brandy820

Postby brandy820 » March 21st, 2009, 6:31 am

Starting my journal today - though I'm not starting MF until Monday.

I'm trying to figure out how to get my mother on board to support this (I'm married with 3 kids, but my mother lives with us) and not bring home cakes and ice cream on a regular basis. Maybe I'll just have to learn to live with it.

I'm going to start cutting down the caffeine today. This AM I had three mini bagels with regular cream cheese for breakfast. Kind of saying farewell to bagels. Stupid, I know, but it is what it is.
brandy820

Postby nickieluv » March 21st, 2009, 7:14 am

You keep saying that things you do and feel about food are stupid. I don't think you need to keep putting yourself down like that. It is what it is. We have skewed attitudes about food and have made it way too important in our lives. That means the food serves a purpose, and part of this weight loss journey has to be about filling that purpose in other ways. Otherwise we will just keep gaining the weight back over and over again.

About your mom - it depends on her personality, but yes, you might just have to learn to live with the temptations being in the house. I hope she's supportive but if she's not, you can still do this. In my experience it doesn't make much difference if the temptations are right in the house or out at the store - if I'm going to cheat I'm going to cheat whether it's easy or hard to do it. And when I'm feeling strong you could wave anything under my nose and I'd turn it down.

It's a mental battlle more than it's a physical one I think. It's a battle we can win, though. I know it. Say your goodbyes to the foods you think you will miss - it can help your mental state. Don't think of it as goodbye forever, though - if you're like me, that just makes me want it more. Try setting a date or a goal to reach, and when you hit that point you can decide if you want to have a treat or not - and whether you can handle it and get right back on or not. Some people can - I can't. Doesn't stop me from trying (and failing) over and over, though. :roll:

We can do this. YOU can do this. Get your mind ready for Monday!
nickieluv
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby brandy820 » March 21st, 2009, 7:46 am

I'm working on getting my mind ready :)

I know that I shouldn't be saying that it's stupid... but it feels that way! When I sit and think that I'm powerless over chocolate peanut butter cup ice cream, it feels just plain silly and stupid!!!

I suppose I need to get more positive if I'm ever going to cut it :mrgreen:

Thank you for being a cheering squad for me this early on :) I need it!
brandy820

Postby brandy820 » March 21st, 2009, 7:49 am

So now, I'm thinking to myself (and figure I should journal these thoughts!) that I have no idea what I'll do when I'm bored and/or stressed. When that happens, I COOK! I'm known as the mom who brings cinnamon crunchies and green popcorn to the kids on Tuesdays along with many other goodies. Fresh bread, pepperoni rolls, you name it. Cooking is my stress relief (I'm sure it's no coincidence that the result of cooking is the food), and now I have to search for something else to do.
brandy820

Postby Stihl » March 21st, 2009, 9:54 am

Hey Brandy - glad to have you aboard and start journaling. I've just started journaling as well, so its great to have more newbies aboard.

As per the temptations - I know its incredibly hard. I'm in college, and every time I go to the dining hall there are yummy things around - fried potato skins, gyros, wraps, etc. What's really helped me is just writing down why yo want to do this and then everyday asking yourself if you can say "I've worked toward this goal." If you can't say that at the end of the day, then its like you're betraying those goals you had - whether they be family, friends, kids, health, etc. I've found it more easy to stay compliant when confronted with temptation to just think of what I wrote down, and ask myself if I really want to put myself in a position where I can't say what I want to at the end of the day.

In terms of stress relief - sounds like a hell of a good time to work out! (though you shouldn't be doing this a whole lot the first few weeks). If you're really bored, maybe just take a walk around the block/house. Later on, when you're a few weeks in you can throw in more intense exercise, but its a pretty good outlet and it makes you feel better about yourself.

Good luck to you along the journey!
Stihl
Trusted Member - #100 Club
Trusted Member - #100 Club

Postby nickieluv » March 21st, 2009, 5:32 pm

I agree, exercise sounds good - and walking you can do right away (once it warms up around here!!!). Also, something that would keep your hands busy. Maybe pop a piece of gum and knit or do a puzzle or something else?

And, yes, I think the bouillon would count as your snack for the day. I'm not positive though, I've never used it and it's been quite a while since I read the book.
nickieluv

Postby nickieluv » March 21st, 2009, 5:33 pm

Oh, and this is a little spooky - chocolate peanut butter cup ice cream was my breakfast and lunch today (saying a few goodbyes of my own). :lol:
nickieluv

Postby brandy820 » March 23rd, 2009, 8:37 am

How funny about the chocPB ice cream! It's BY FAR my favorite. Nothing close to it.

I think I'll take a walk today - even though it is a tad FREEZING out!

Yesterday I was saying goodbye to spaghetti and shredded cheese. My husband thought I was a lunatic!! I told him I felt like I was walking the Green Mile :lol:

I started today. I'm hungry! But I'll chug through it.
brandy820

Postby katieb920 » March 23rd, 2009, 10:02 am

Hi Brandy....

Welcome. You can so do this. It will be hard the first 2 to 3 days. But after that it is all good. Like Nickie said. BUBBLE GUM(sugar free of course :+)) Drink a ton of water.

well if you need anything just ask
Katie
katieb920
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby nickieluv » March 24th, 2009, 7:20 am

Welcome to day 2! Be warned - days 2 and 3 can be harder than day 1 - but it will get easier! And you're right about chugging away - chugging water of course. :lol:

I'm proud of you for starting. I know how hard it is, believe me. But the results and the way you feel are so much better than any food you said goodbye to. It's just hard to remember that when you're wallowing in calories. Trust me, if you stay compliant, by this time next week you will be FLYING along and loving it!
nickieluv

Postby sidrah » March 25th, 2009, 12:03 am

The longer you do it, the easier it gets and the days fly by. You did the hard part..you started. Trust me, that is a hard part. Just keep with it and you will see that the different ways you can cook certain products and the additions you can make will make it seem not so bad.

If you want to make a chocolate shake and add extra ice chunks to make it kind of chunky, you can make it almost like a McD shake. Then, once you add in flavors, you cna do almost anything. I make one that has coconut, chocolate, and hazelnut SF syrup and I swear it tastes like an Almond Joy. You can also add in peanut butter or any other tastes that you like.

I always do okay once I get started. I take it like a challenge to see how oddball I can get my recipes.
Don't really care as long as everything's better than yesterday was...

@}---- @}---- @}---- @}----
sidrah
Preferred member

Return to My Journal