basic metabolic rate

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

basic metabolic rate

Postby justy » May 21st, 2005, 8:52 pm

I've spent several hours here today. Not how I had planned to spend my day off but - it sure has been interesting!

I have many questions but the one I'm can't seem to wrap my wee little brain around is this....

I've had my metabolic rate measured (yes, professionally) and I was told that I, on average, will use about 1400 calories per day. (I am really not in a position to significantly increase my activity at this time.)

If the Medifast plan suggests 1200 calories/day, that is a 200 calorie deficit. 3500/200=17.5. That's 17.5 days to lose one pound? At that rate I'll be at this about 5 years?

How does this work? Please tell me I'm missing something?

Thanks.
justy

Postby 24KaratGold » May 21st, 2005, 10:04 pm

Medifast is much lower calorie than 1200 per day. If you are on full fast (requires dr's supervision), you are around 600 calories per day. If you are on the 5 and 1, you are looking at 850-900 calories per day.

Welcome to the board!
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby fatBgone » May 22nd, 2005, 7:20 am

Justy,
I also had my BMR tested at the Dr.'s office and my results said that my rate is VERY slow....(I also have hypothyroid, which is medicated, so I don't really understand why it's so slow...but anyway...). My caloric usage was only 1200 and I just thought I would let you know that I've been doing Medifast since 3/17/05 and I have lost 28 pounds. I haven't been exercising - except for some walking every once in awhile. I do want to join Curves when school gets out and hopefully that will speed up my losses a litttle, but I'm still pleased with what I've lost so far.

Well, I'm sure Nancy will probably jump on soon with some EXPERT advice, but I'm sure if you try Medifast, that you'll be pleasantly surprised at how quickly you will lose weight - and more importantly than that - the foods are very tasty and it's so easy to STAY on the plan - which has been hard for me before on other diets.

Good luck & know that we are all here for each other for support and motivation! This is a GREAT forum!!
Lisa
fatBgone
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Nancy » May 23rd, 2005, 12:13 am

Hello, Justy ~

I never had my metabolic rate tested (at least not that I know of!) but was told I am metabolically challenged/resistant due to the years of yo-yo dieting. I don't know that I can give you an answer that will satisfy your need to know other than the 5 and 1 Program is high enough to not be considered a VLC and low enough to get most people into a rapid weight loss phase.

The clients we have that lose more slowly than others are females with thyroid or diabetes issues and yet they lose weight consistently and safely.

The key for weight loss with Medifast is following the Medirules: the foods are all nutritionally balanced, each one providing a complete meal in and of itself. It is needful to not skip any meals, to consume only the foods prescribed for the program and people who do so, lose weight – usually faster than on any other program. It is simple, it is safe and it is successful.

There is a sufficient gap between the amount of calories ingested and the calories needed to cause the body to utilize stored energy (fat) for its source and the fat is burned, muscles spared.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Return to The Weight Room