Another aspartame study

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Another aspartame study

Postby DogMa » May 5th, 2006, 7:26 pm

By ARIEL DAVID
The Associated Press
ROME — The popular diet sweetener aspartame won another round in the safety debate when a European panel of scientists said Friday there’s no sign it raises the risk of cancer.
An Italian study last year wrongly concluded the sugar substitute led to higher rates of lymphoma and leukemia in rats, said the experts who advise the European Food Safety Authority.
“There is no reason ... to undertake any further extensive review of the safety of aspartame,” said Iona Pratt, a toxicologist who headed the panel.
The findings support a large U.S. federal study released last month, which found no link to cancer in a study of aspartame use among more than half a million Americans.
Aspartame is found in thousands of products, including diet sodas, chewing gum, dairy products and even many medicines. It’s sold under the brand names NutraSweet, Equal and Canderel.
The new review of its potential health risks found that the number of tumors in rats did not increase in relation to the dosage of aspartame fed to the animals. Many of the rats in the study had suffered from chronic respiratory disease and the panel said that was the most likely cause of the tumors.
The European panel said its assessment should put the lid on years of debate over the sweetener. The food safety scientists were also satisfied with the current European level set for its safe daily consumption — a maximum of 40 milligrams per kilogram (about 2.2 pounds) of body weight — saying that the limit is well above what people consume normally.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Ct. Yankee » May 5th, 2006, 8:05 pm

Thank you, Robin, for posting a very informative article. It is appreciated. :D

Every couple of years, they seem to choose an item to do a study on, then scare the public half out of their minds, saying it is bad for us. Remember coffee? Then, coffee was OK. I suppose it is good that they do these studies to protect us, yet some of the primary results can be frightening, until the secondary finding, finds the particular product is safe. Now, I heard that Splenda is being investigated. It is good that they are studying sweeteners because they are certainly near and dear to any dieter, as well as to diabetics. Thanks again, so much for the article, Robin. :)

Joan
Ct. Yankee
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » May 5th, 2006, 11:28 pm

Every time I see an aspartame study headline I hug my diet coke bottle with all my heart (making sure it's screwed tight of course). Glad my diet coke is okay (if not good) for another round!

Thanks for the article!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Return to Weight Loss