All or nothing

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

All or nothing

Postby DogMa » April 29th, 2008, 7:49 am

Just thought I'd post this, from Jillian Michaels (trainer on "The Biggest Loser"). I did a free trial of her program, just to see what it was about, and still get daily inspirational e-mails from her that I kinda like:

All or Nothing
If you haven't already, it's definitely time to kill the all-or-nothing attitude. One great way to do that is to get real regarding setbacks. We are all bound to have lapses on the road to health and wellness, but it is critical that we learn how to handle small failures positively so that we can minimize their long-term destructive effects. One setback is one setback — it's not the end of the world, nor is it the end of your journey toward a better you!
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Mike » April 29th, 2008, 8:44 am

Robin,

I love that. Thank you for posting that. Its reminds me a bit about how Dr. Andersen describes how the journey should be. He related the journey toward health as the journey to the moon. It wasn't a straight line, it was a long series of small course corrections. We all need to remember that we need to make those course corrections along our journey. Some of them may be bigger than others, but nonetheless, we need to make them.

;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby DogMa » April 29th, 2008, 9:12 am

That's so true. And I think those "course corrections" really help in maintenance, too. I know I've benefited from everything I learned from each Medifast "lapse." So that even now, when I got a little out of hand and gained 5 pounds, I'm able to get myself back on track with food and exercise. No beating myself up, no throwing in the towel and gaining everything back. I just decided enough was enough, and it's time to get back to work.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby fairladyj » April 29th, 2008, 10:03 am

Hi-

thanks for this - it was very timely. I am 8 days into a restart after regaining most of what I lost last year, and had a major emotional eating blowout last nite.

I had promised myself I was going to "do it right" this time, since $ is very tight at my house right now (and want to get my money's worth)- one of the reasons I didn't go back on program earlier.

Have been really disgusted with myself ever since last nite. Thanks again
Jennifer in Michigan

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!
fairladyj
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby DogMa » April 29th, 2008, 11:55 am

Jennifer, I'm glad it helped and I'm sorry about last night's episode. There's no point in beating yourself up, though - mostly it just leads to feeling worse about yourself and eating MORE or, worse, giving up.

I think the best thing you can do is recognize WHY you ate what you did, come up with some ways to avoid repeating it (like other ways of dealing with whatever set you off) and try your best to do things differently the next time.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby cydj21 » April 29th, 2008, 12:20 pm

Robin,

I also thank you for sharing this. It reminds me of my old mentality, which I have luckily largely been able to conquer. Back when I was "fat" and wanted chips after eating ice cream I'd figure, "why not? I'm already fat?" Well, eventually that led to actually being fat and then even fatter, because I figured I was already fat and if I ate something bad and screwed up I might as well go all the way and really enjoy myself by binging out. I think this is an excellent reminder that each meal is a chance to turn it around, each new day is a day to strive to be a little stronger and learn a bit more about ourselves and why we are ultimately driven to make the decisions we do with regards to the food we put in our mouths.

Thanks again.
Cyd
Highest Weight - 271lbs in 2006
cydj21
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby Lauren » April 30th, 2008, 10:49 am

Yeah, this was a good one, Rob, resonated with me as well, since I'm often an all or nothing chick in everything I do. Maintenance has been a constant work in progress in trying to move away from the extremes. Doesn't always work, but we keep working it! :-)

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby DogMa » April 30th, 2008, 11:05 am

I still fight the old "I'm sick of this and it's not fair that I have to work so hard to be thin, and I'd rather just eat what I want" feelings. Sigh. But exactly, we keep plugging away.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Return to The Weight Room