Alcohol

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Alcohol

Postby pnrmiller » May 25th, 2006, 12:06 pm

Ok I'm 23 and I seem to be surrounded by alcohol. As with most young people a typical weekend includes 1-2 nights at a bar. My boyfriend and I have been doing very good. I am on the full Medifast program and he is on a hospital based all liquid 4 shakes a day kinda thing. I'm pretty happy that I actually get food and suprisingly like most of the medifast meals with nothing extra in them. But anyway he is very restricted but he's allowed certain alcoholic drinks. Captian and Diet soda, Stoli flavored vodkas and club soda (which is actually good). But the doctor told him that he would be fine to drink things like this because they are completely carb free. Can I? I'm doing good but bored with the normally 20 something weekends I used to be able to have.

Pathetic that this is the only problem with the plan that I seem to be having and I should really just suck it up but I want to know because it's getting harder and harder.
pnrmiller

Postby Sarya » May 25th, 2006, 12:14 pm

Alcohol is made from fermented carbohydrates. It is metabolized very quickly just like carbs and can take you out of ketosis slowing your weight loss. Also alcohol has a tendency to increase appetite in low to moderate drinkers making you have cravings you wouldn't otherwise have to deal with.

I am trying my best to stay away from alcohol for these reasons, and I believe those are probably the same reasons why it's not allowed "on plan."

--S
Sarya
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby mommaof3boys » May 25th, 2006, 12:24 pm

Ditto.

I would also say that when I do have alcohol, even if it is just one glass of wine, I get looser with my diet, so to speak. Two glasses and watch out - going through the kids candy!
Medifast start date 5/10/2006

5'6"

151/144/127
mommaof3boys
Trusted Member

Postby DogMa » May 25th, 2006, 2:25 pm

There actually ARE alcohol products with very low carbs. But they still contain quite a few calories - and they're empty calories at that. So while some of that stuff is fine on a program like Atkins, where the only concern is carbs, they're not OK on Medifast.

Alcohol also seems to affect people much more quickly/strongly when they're on a program like this. So if you DO decide to drink, be very careful.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Diana » May 25th, 2006, 10:49 pm

First, I haven't had a chance to meet and welcome you! So, Welcome! Nice to meet you!

Second, my 2 cents. :mrgreen: Aside from the carb issue, remember that alcohol has an effect on your cognition. Your resistence and your resolve may also be affected which could lead to other unintended indiscretions.

Your first thought, bite the bullet, has my vote.

Here's to our mutual success!
Diana
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Return to Weight Loss