About those Journals

1 Thread per registered User.

About those Journals

Postby Seaside » February 22nd, 2007, 12:50 pm

Someone posted a question recently about why the forum seemed to be quieter lately, and one of the answers was that much of the conversation has moved over to journals.

I don't yet have a journal, so those of you who have been keeping them, what are the advantages/disadvantages of using a journal? What are some of the practicalities of using the journal vs. the forum itself?

Thank you for your time!
Seaside
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby GucciGoo » February 22nd, 2007, 1:06 pm

A journal is for us to talk only about ourselves, same as a diary. People respond to each other's posts.

I don't think any of us really thought so technically about advantages/disadvantages and practicalities. It's really not that serious :)
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Mike » February 22nd, 2007, 1:37 pm

I post in my journal only sporadically to remind myself of the struggles that I am dealing with/have dealt with so that I can go back and remind myself of what is important to me.
I really do enjoy the input and uplift I get from others that respond to it though.
Its also an opportunity for me to play with the MANY emoticons. :mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby katieb920 » February 22nd, 2007, 1:51 pm

I have just really started writing in my journal. But I have already gone back and re read everyhting I wrote. IT is also great to see how far you have come. I also love reading other peoples journals. To see what they have gone through.......

Sometimes I think that it is just me that is going through this. But I am not.

Katie
Katie
katieb920
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Serendipity » February 22nd, 2007, 2:43 pm

My journal is all about me.....and we do know, don't we, that it's all about me, right? :mrgreen:

But seriously, I love having a journal and I like the setup because if I'm wondering how a particular person is doing, I can go straight to her/his journal and not have to sort through dozens of posts. Also, I think it has made many of us closer because the journal takes on the personality of the poster.....it kind of got us all organized.

I rarely post anywhere else except in answer to someone elses post.

What's shakin' is a good place to post off topic subjects....righ now there's one about American Idol.

I think this forum is very active as forums go. Some of them have way too many posts to keep up with.....I think this one is just right.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Tawanda » February 22nd, 2007, 3:28 pm

I like the journal a lot. It has given me a place to put my thoughts, ask questions and also to be publically accountable. I wonder, at times, if I'm writing too many times :oops: :lol: , but then I figure I'm pretty much writing for ME and if others hate seeing my name pop up to the top of the list again and again, then they can just ignore me. :D

Truly, as Jo said.....the journal is a place for it to be all about ME (not 'her' me, but 'me'--me) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I feel very fortunate to have stumbled across the blogs that led me to Jo's blog, which led me to this site.....it was a long and interesting day of online reading, learning and wanting to read/learn more about Medifast. I'm on day 13 and I feel GOOD! ;)

Try it, you'll like it. :D
Began MediFast 2/10/07 212#
Reached Goal 3/15/08 147#
Renewed commitment 9/20/09-after regaining 38# (185#)
Reached Goal 1/25/10 147# Maintaining :)
Tawanda

Postby DogMa » February 22nd, 2007, 3:44 pm

I'm with the others. My journal is all about me. Some of it's about my weight loss and maintenance, or my workouts. A lot of it has nothing to do with weight at all (lately it's all about my dating issues). I think it's made the board more personal, so it's not all questions and answers about the program and we learn a lot more about each other. And people who are struggling sometimes feel more comfortable posting about it in their journal, rather than posting a new thread every day about their problems or the times they've fallen off the wagon.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby nickieluv » February 22nd, 2007, 8:15 pm

I wasn't ever around when there weren't journals, but I don't know how I would do this without one. Dogma is right, it feels safer somehow to confess your failures in your journal. Although I'm sure when I hit goal I'll post a message on every thread just to make sure no one misses it! :lol: :mrgreen:

But seriously, the support is wonderful, and knowing that no one HAS to come to read my journal makes it seem more personal and caring when someone does. I highly recommend starting one.
Last edited by nickieluv on February 23rd, 2007, 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
nickieluv

Postby bikipatra » February 23rd, 2007, 3:02 am

I think the journals allow this to be a much more supportive environment then when I was here last. People really get to know you and can be there for you in a more genuine, informed manner.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

now I see

Postby Seaside » February 23rd, 2007, 6:58 am

OK, I get it about the journals now. I can see the clear advantages to having the journal as well as the discussion board! Thanks everyone for such helpful answers! <Scuttling off to set up journal...>
Last edited by Seaside on February 23rd, 2007, 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seaside

Postby Arghh! » February 23rd, 2007, 6:58 am

For me it's a place to brag, bitch, moan and cry without clogging up all the other threads :lol: And as others have said I love to go back and see where I've come from and how I've changed.
Arghh!
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby Lizabette » June 13th, 2007, 7:01 pm

When the JOURNAL thread began, I never imagined it would take hold like it did! :shock:
It really fills a special need, as someone has said, without clogging up other posts.
If you can believe after all this time, I am just now reading this post. 8)
Thanks for asking, SEASIDE.
Lizabette :heart:
195/135 - Reached goal, Aug. 31, '06
Lizabette

Postby Mike » February 13th, 2008, 9:41 am

Just thought I'd throw this out. A number of folks keep "hijacking" other peoples personal journals. This really isn't what these journals are for. Some people are actually annoyed with this to the point that they don't even post in their journals.

I've noticed statements made, especially in personal journals, which really should be PM's. I realize that others do say things in others journals which are not the proper place to say them.

I haven't read many journals lately, but as one member posted in their journal recently, if people have problems with individuals, keep it private and go to PMs. Thanks.

:|
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby rodeomom » February 13th, 2008, 10:22 am

Thanks Mike - nobody has personally attacked me in my journal, but I have noticed a HUGE surge in negativity on the forum overall lately. I have found myself avoiding journals I used to enjoy and gind inspriation from just because of this.

As I posted in my journal recently - If there is a negative thread that you don't agree with my suggestion is to let it drop. If we don't post in them they will fall to the bottom and eventually disappear. Part of the problem here is many of us have very strong personalities and want to be the one who gets in the last word. That, obviously, isn't solving anything.
09/21/07 - 12/21/07 Lost 80 Pounds Ankle Surgery 12-21-07
rodeomom
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Jan » February 13th, 2008, 1:19 pm

Hmmm,
I've been thinking about this for sometime now. Some may remember me and some may not. I've been here for a long time. I read the entries ... and answer when I have a moment. I'm pretty busy now .. but always willing to help.
I very seldom read the journal entries. I guess it's because I see my main function on this forum as someone to answer questions that are of interest to many .. keeping people on track. Helping people get healthy. I have noticed that the journals can disintegrate into some not to pleasant things.
I do receive e-mails and phone calls about this.. I think it's sad. This is a forum to encourage people to part with their pounds using Medifast Products. One of it's main purposes is to be a positive influence. Certainly not to take part in the squabbles that occur. I would not encourage anyone to even PM someone ---- let it go and move on. . Lets just let this be an oasis for us who are trying to get healthy.There's enough contention out in the world. We certainly don't need to attack each other. . As to the squabbles please remember RESPECT is the key word. We come from varied backgrounds and belief systems. Some things look funny to some but not to others. That's ok .. lets err on the side of gentleness. This forum belongs to Terry and Nancy Pettit ... no one else. When things are posted which have no place here .. it reflects upon us all including Terry and Nancy.... This is not a "free forum". Terry and Nancy pay quite a bit each year to have it in existence. Please be careful when you post. Respect them and their willingness to provide this for us all.
Remember too that sometimes things in print look and sound different than things said in person or over the phone. Be Careful. We can all get along .. stick to what we all are working toward ... health. Together we can make it ...
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Next

Return to My Journal